Guide Root your Incredible (AMOLED & SLCD Support!)

jsuh

Reaction score
As a result of the recent Nov OTA update, many people have lost root or those with new or refurbished devices are unable to root. However, I have the proper steps to downgrade prior to the OTA, successfully obtain S-OFF if you don't already have it, and root.

This guide now supports the rooting of AMOLED and SLCD Incredibles with the latest Nov OTA!

The original full article can be found at http://jonsuh.com/2010/11/root-your-droid-incredible-how-to/

#1 Set up ADB

In order for your computer to recognize your device when running needed commands for the root process, you must install the Android SDK.

1. Find and install the proper version at Android SDK | Android Developers.
  2. Enable USB Debugging on your Incredible (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging).
For more information on how to set up ADB, head to the Cyanogen Mod Wiki.

Before you continue...

There are many different variables to consider before you continue in order to prevent yourself from bricking your phone and gaining proper root.

• There are 2 different Incredibles (AMOLED and SLCD screens).
  • If your device has been upgraded to the latest Nov OTA, you could have lost root.
  • You need S-OFF to root, but your device is S-ON.
There are different ways to obtain root and S-OFF depending on the variables, but for those who are unsure of your OTA status as well as S-OFF or S-ON, I'll provide the simplest way to obtain root without worrying about these factors.
Some may argue that some of these steps are unnecessary, but I went through this process myself and was able to obtain root and S-OFF.
I apologize but for now, these directions are for AMOLED devices only.

Is my Incredible AMOLED or SLCD?

A majority of the devices out there are AMOLED; however, if you recently purchased a new Incredible in the last couple of months, it may be SLCD. To check:

1. Remove the battery from the device.
  2. Underneath the bluetooth and FC icon, you should see "ADR6300VW."
  3. If you see a "3" at the end (ADR6300VW3) then it is SLCD.
    If you do not, then it is AMOLED.

Before you continue…

You need to determine what type of Incredible you have to prevent yourself from bricking your phone and gaining proper root.

• There are 2 different Incredibles (AMOLED and SLCD screens).
  • You need S-OFF to root, but your device is S-ON.
Is my Incredible AMOLED or SLCD?

A majority of the devices out there are AMOLED; however, if you recently purchased a new Incredible in the last couple of months, it may be SLCD. To check:

1. Turn the phone off. Walk into a pitch black room.
  2. Turn the phone on.
  3. If you see ‘light’ coming from a black screen as the device turns on, you have SLCD.
    If you don’t see any light from the screen until you get images, you have AMOLED.
#2 Root and get S-OFF

Updated December 2, 2010
Thanks to the Unrevoked team, you can easily obtain S-OFF and root on your Droid Incredible in a matter of seconds! I have provided directions for AMOLED and SLCD owners. Rooting is now easier than ever.

1. Download and install “Unrevoked 3″ for your OS (Operating System) from www.unrevoked.com/recovery.
    *NOTE: If you are running Windows, you must uninstall HTC Sync if you have it installed and install HBOOT drivers at public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki].
  2. Disconnect your phone from your computer.
  3. Make sure “USB Debugging is enabled.” (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  4. Run “Unrevoked 3.”
  5. If you own an SLCD Incredible, please follow these directions.
    If you own AMOLED, skip to step 6.
    If you don’t know, read "Before you continue" above.
    5a. Download the custom recovery mod for SLCD at http://anyhub.net/file/13db-cwm-mod-dinc-slcd.zip.
    5b. Unzip the contents of the file.
    5c. In Unrevoked, go to the menu > File > Custom Recovery and select “recovery.img” from the .zip you extracted.
  6. Connect your phone to your computer and follow directions to root your phone.

#3 Enjoy

I realize there are that many people out there who have been frustrated by the Nov OTA and have lost root or have been unable to root their device. Now you should be good to go!

Let me know how it went

Were you able to successfully get S-OFF and root? Let me know how it went.

FAQ

* I rooted before the OTA and the OTA will not install
  1. If you rooted before the OTA and you can't get the OTA to install and/or you're worried that you won't get the next OTA updates, the best thing to do is use the RUU utility from http://shipped-roms.com/download.php...351_signed.exe (Windows only)
  2. Reroot using Unrevoked 3.22 (directions at http://jonsuh.com/2010/11/root-your-...edible-how-to/)

I plan on writing an article how to unroot for the Incredible soon.

* I have an SLCD DINC and my recovery screen is black (DIRECTIONS ONLY FOR SLCD OWNERS!)
More than likely you did not use the proper recovery for SLCD.
  1. Make sure your SDCARD is formatted to FAT32 (backup any files if necessary)
  2. Download the custom recovery from http://anyhub.net/file/13db-cwm-mod-dinc-slcd.zip
  3. Copy it on the root of the SDCARD and rename it to PB31IMG.zip
  4. Power down your device and power it back up into HBOOT by pressing (VOL UP+POWER)
  5. When it asks you to update recovery (flash the PB31IMG.zip) select yes.
  6. Reboot when prompted to do so.

Last edited:

jlambeth1

Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear success stories on this one as I'm picking up my Incredible today and am eager to root it and throw on a custom ROM on it.

pabtheghost

Reaction score
im going to give it a crack after dinner tonight, now that i finally have some time. ill edit any feedback into this post...

how long should the whole process take?

OP
J

jsuh

Reaction score
im going to give it a crack after dinner tonight, now that i finally have some time. ill edit any feedback into this post...

how long should the whole process take?
It took me 20, I've had reports of it taking as long as 45 for some.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Jsuh why do you not just put in the 3.21 build to downgrade? It will work on both Amoled and Slcd screens. The 3.21 build is rootable and will work just as well and actually better as it will not cause these screen issues. Then when someone does not read your guide as closely as they should we don't get devices that screens don't work.

I had to help 2 people last night get there devices back from not reading it all the way through. Just a thought to make everyones life a little easier.

Last edited:
OP
J

jsuh

Reaction score
UNREVOKED 3.22 HAS BEEN RELEASED.

Get your copy at www.unrevoked.com.
This thread will be changed within the next 24 hours to accommodate the new Unrevoked. No longer need to downgrade to root.

pabtheghost

Reaction score
i got my phone to the recovery screen, but on my computer it said connection disrupted, try again.

theincrediblenoob

Reaction score
So all I have to do is follow the directions after your update on dec 2nd? Like I don't have to do that android sdk thingy? Im a real noob with this, is there anything else I would need to know about doing this, like Im afraid of ruining the phone haha.
Anything else at all? Any helpful tips??

theincrediblenoob

Reaction score
also, what about making a backup or copy? How do you do this? Do i Need to with the new unrevoked3.22? What will this do for me?

OP
J

jsuh

Reaction score
Updated 12/4/2010
Added FAQ

porkbrains

Reaction score
Well, my Eris trackball started freaking out again and it turns out they only honor manu warranty from date of purchase, not date of replacement arrival... Oh well. I gotta say this method was so ridiculously easy I didn't quite believe it. "Triumph." LOL

I had my phone rooted within 5 minutes of popping my fully charged Eris battery into it. Titanium, take me home!!!!

I'll pour out a 40oz. for the Eris. She was a fine lady, but, well... you know.

gmvshort

Reaction score
Unable to locate driver for device

HELP!!! I just tried again, following the instructions on how to update the drivers for the DI. However, I keep getting the same -- Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

I have downloaded to a Download folder under My Documents on Win2k box.

I pick out the android_winusb.inf and give OK, but no find driver.

What am I doing wrong?? Any help would be appreciated....:)