[Exclusive] Thunderbolt & Xoom Ready For Launch

leeches

Reaction score
If this is $299 on a two year contract then it would seem Verizon is making up for the fact that there will possibly be no increase in data plan for it's first 4g phone. This is probably a lot cheaper than what it will eventually cost to run 4g but I wish for once Verizon would just give us the full break. It could be almost year before some of us get the chance to use 4g. I think they may be in trouble if it really is $299. It's a huge turnoff to me especially when I see what the comparable Inspire 4g was priced at.

mjforte

Reaction score
Yeah I can understand $249, but $299 is really pushing it. Do they really want this phone to fail? Granted the 32gb iPhone sells for the same but still. On another note, the photo doesn't really prove anything, as they are just dummies and not the real thing. I know for sure the Xoom is being released the 24th, but I really want some solid evidence on the Thunderbolt's release date.

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
If this is $299 on a two year contract then it would seem Verizon is making up for the fact that there will possibly be no increase in data plan for it's first 4g phone. This is probably a lot cheaper than what it will eventually cost to run 4g but I wish for once Verizon would just give us the full break. It could be almost year before some of us get the chance to use 4g. I think they may be in trouble if it really is $299. It's a huge turnoff to me especially when I see what the comparable Inspire 4g was priced at.

Ouch. You just hurt the Thunderbolt's feeling. Being compared to Inspire 4G...
Inspire 4G is:

-Not capable of HSUPA (4G uploading on AT&T's network)
-Limited to 4GB of data due to the network
-Has only 4 GB (8 on TB) internal memory and only 8 GB (32 on TB) pre installed micro SD card
-Has only a 1230 mAh battery (1400 on TB)
And worst of all...
-HSPA instead of LTE

I think the extra cash is worth all this. I mean... the 32 GB card alone costs $50.

I'm definitely getting the Thunderbolt when it launches. Rooting it is another thing though. I think I'll be still too much of a chicken.

Seems like it's definitely getting ready for a launch this week with HTC's commercial airing on the All-Star game. I'm excited!

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah I can understand $249, but $299 is really pushing it. Do they really want this phone to fail? Granted the 32gb iPhone sells for the same but still. On another note, the photo doesn't really prove anything, as they are just dummies and not the real thing. I know for sure the Xoom is being released the 24th, but I really want some solid evidence on the Thunderbolt's release date.

How can you know for sure that the Xoom is being released the 24th? Is it because of the Best Buy ad? If that's what your going off then the Thunderbolt should have been released yesterday.

dman59

Reaction score

How can you know for sure that the Xoom is being released the 24th? Is it because of the Best Buy ad? If that's what your going off then the Thunderbolt should have been released yesterday.

Its official for the Xoom, just browsed through Verizon website and found this: Motorola XOOM | Verizon Wireless

forum8417

Reaction score
yea ill wait for the price to drop in 6 months and for it to have adobe flash available.

leehblanc

Reaction score
Well, the Xoom page got updated... so there's something. I didn't think the Thunderbolt was releasing this week regardless, and now I REALLY don't think it is. If it was, wouldn't they have just updated BOTH pages?

I want to point out that I'm not calling Miami a liar, I just don't trust that there is ANYONE at Verizon that has a plan. This device is the redheaded stepchild of Big Red. At this point, they are still working out kinks and have provided no information or indication of a plan. Sorry... not that anxious to pay $250 to be a beta tester.

teddyblair

Reaction score
i just read thru this thread quickly and didnt see anyone mention this - did anyone else see this posted yesterday? saying that the Thunderbolt is delayed and that even when it is released, the skype video calling isnt going to be available... any credibility to this? does this pretty much guarantee we're waiting til March?

Source:
HTC Thunderbolt is Delayed at Best Buy [Pic]

htc_thunderbolt_correction_notice_no_skype.png

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i just read thru this thread quickly and didnt see anyone mention this - did anyone else see this posted yesterday? saying that the Thunderbolt is delayed and that even when it is released, the skype video calling isnt going to be available... any credibility to this? does this pretty much guarantee we're waiting til March?

Source:

wouldn't be surprising. I never expected 4G to just hit the ground running, there's going to be issues. This would be one if it held out to be true. I highly doubt if this is true, that it would have anything to do with the device capability and more with the network capability.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Source:

The photo is a Best Buy instore correction for them to cover there ___ about their weekly ad showing the Thunderbolt as "New" and not coming soon.
Not sure about the Skype thing.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
... until the Skype thing comes out as an official announcement from VZW I see no reason to believe it isn't still an option.

as stated, this is Best Buy playing C-Y-A. As with a release date for this phone... just wait for something official before lighting the torches :)