Droid x face planted on hard pavement -- screen now spider cracked

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read the moderators post about insurance fraud (knowing full well that it was a moderator trying to prevent the inevitable post about how you can defraud the ins co or carrier and get a new phone) and then saw the OP's reply (knowing full well that OP was clearly unaware that his offensive rebuttal was directed toward a moderator) and crack uped at this whole situation
The real funny (not really) part is it wasn't even the O/P who chimed in with the rude and insensitive comment, just someone who felt the need to throw a nickel into the mix :wacko:

I saw it, I didn't say anything because I was hoping it would just go away…..lets just let it do that.;)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
^note taken :icon_wink:

I do think this will be a tough fix, as a quick Google/E-bay search turned up nothing, possibly a local cell phone parts store (we have one here as I am sure most do) would have something, but with the X being such a new device I doubt there are a lot of parts laying around

the $6.00 a month is well worth the headache of a problem like this

quaffapint

Reaction score
Thats why I added to my home insurance - $20/yr for $599 worth of coverage on a smart phone. Wouldn't have done it at VZ's prices.

deek

Reaction score
Question I have... Is it possible to scratch it? I am in more fear of scratching it versus shattering it. Stratches may not be something you can use a warranty coverage over, but I am sure you could with a shatter.

The occasional light drops is all I ever have.

However, I also have a screen protector, and a silicone jelly case for it.

Mojo

Reaction score
For you guys claiming that VZW replaced your phone with a cracked screen got lucky, real lucky.

To the OP.. I would not try to have the screen replaced. I broke my screen on my Droid 1 and bought a screen and took it to a mobile repair shop to have them fix it. And they got the screen on but it never did work. I ended up just having to buy another device. I don't think any screens availble are truly OEM screens... just some knock off for right now.

your best bet is to call into VZW cust service, explain what happened and see what they can do for you. It may only be that you would quailfy for the certified like new program and could get one year pricing on your device. But it beats paying full retail. Other than that you might take a look on ebay or craigslist to see if any one has one for sale for cheep

alemane213

Reaction score
If your within your 30 days you can still add insurance to your phone and do a claim. Unless you bought it and received it on release day, you should be within your 30 day grace period. And if you ordered online your 30 day grace period doesn't start till they shipped it to you.
Good luck!

rlfitz

Reaction score
does insurance actually cover physical damage or water damage?

alemane213

Reaction score
Yes it does cover both water damage and physical damage, lost or stolen also. On a smart phone it covers up to $1,500 per year.

cgrimm9

Reaction score
If your within your 30 days you can still add insurance to your phone and do a claim. Unless you bought it and received it on release day, you should be within your 30 day grace period. And if you ordered online your 30 day grace period doesn't start till they shipped it to you.
Good luck!

i mentioned this and the moderater said that this site does not support insurance fraud. you just a heads up. I don't really see the harm if you where to keep paying for the insurance afterwords and believe me if that where to happen i WOULL keep paying for the insurace. its a win win for both paries

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere in a forum (think it was Alldroid.com), that someone had a crack screen on the OG Droid and called Motorola and they offered to put in a new screen for $75. Try calling Motorola and see if they can do anything for you.

roach

Reaction score
Posts about Insurance Fraud are not allowed here on DF.
When you own a phone that cost over $500.00 you got to back yourself up with some kind of insurance,phones are handeled 50 times a day or more they travel to work home restaurants and even the toilet,there is going to be an accident at least one time.
P.S....
I was going to be quiet on this thread but I felt the need to light a fire under verizion when fraud was mentioned.
And I still did not see anyone mention that word until the moderator mentioned it.
Guess he was maybe wanting to stop it in it's tracks right there.
Anyway you talk about insurance fraud,what about the fraud verizion puts on us customers, the $350.00 we get charged for opting out of our contracts.
Thats not fraud thats stealing.Had to say that.

Gray_Lensman

Reaction score
When you own a phone that cost over $500.00 you got to back yourself up with some kind of insurance,phones are handeled 50 times a day or more they travel to work home restaurants and even the toilet,there is going to be an accident at least one time.
P.S....
I was going to be quiet on this thread but I felt the need to light a fire under verizion when fraud was mentioned.
And I still did not see anyone mention that word until the moderator mentioned it.
Anyway you talk about insurance fraud,what about the fraud verizion puts on us customers, the $350.00 we get charged for opting out of our contracts.

Not really. The Droid X retails around $700. Currently new customers can get it for $200 (including the $100 rebate). If I was in business selling the same phones giving a $500 price markdown, I'd have a $350 contract drop fee also. From their point of view, it's a no brainer.

rlfitz

Reaction score
P.S....

thats not fraud at all. you got your phone well below its cost to verizon based on the contract you signed to keep your phone for 2 years worth of service. that allows verizon to sell you your phone so cheap. they eventually get their money by the end of the 2 years. its not fraud. its a contract. which you wanna break. of course they are gonna charge you a termination fee. it sucks but its cheaper than paying retail price for the droid.

Droids

Reaction score
Check these guys out..
Motorola Replacement Parts

They're not yet advertising X parts but they may have them anyway. Contact them and check. Even if you had insurance getting a DIY kit could cost less (does in the case of the Droid 1). Might find the glass on eBay too, but as someone else mentioned it may not be oem glass, due to the X being so new. I sure would want to be sure it was oem gorilla replacement glass.

OP
D

digitz

Reaction score
Great responses here, thanks everyone. What I ended up doing (mentioned by Egoo) was calling Motorola directly and getting an RMA to send back. They can repair the screen for $75 in about 5-7 days from receiving it (great deal for not having insurance!).

After going through their automated help wizard, you receive an email with a link to their repair site. Here are a couple important links that might save you time if this ever happens to you (took me a couple hours to get all this!):

www.motorola.com/repair

call for RMA: 800-331-6456 (Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 10 PM, Saturday and Sunday 9 AM - 6 PM CST)

address for repair:

MMA/MCR
5700 S. INTERNATIONAL PKWY SUITE A
Dock #19
MCALLEN TX, 78503