Droid x face planted on hard pavement -- screen now spider cracked

aayoo

Reaction score
I'd just like to add that if do go the replacement screen route, please take it to a professional for installation. I bought a replacement screen for my original droid and tried to do an install following a youtube tutorial and ended up tugging at the wrong lcd film and damaged a vital area rendering the device useless. Waste of $70 and a broken phone. On the bright side im now the proud owner of a droid x. And while your at it, get some insurance, its not worth the risk.

garath

Reaction score
Great responses here, thanks everyone. What I ended up doing (mentioned by Egoo) was calling Motorola directly and getting an RMA to send back. They can repair the screen for $75 in about 5-7 days from receiving it (great deal for not having insurance!).

After going through their automated help wizard, you receive an email with a link to their repair site. Here are a couple important links that might save you time if this ever happens to you (took me a couple hours to get all this!):

www.motorola.com/repair

call for RMA: 800-331-6456 (Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 10 PM, Saturday and Sunday 9 AM - 6 PM CST)

address for repair:

MMA/MCR
5700 S. INTERNATIONAL PKWY SUITE A
Dock #19
MCALLEN TX, 78503

Wow. That's a great price. Isn't that less than the insurance deductible?? Very nice. Thanks for the info.

Hooligansforlife

Reaction score
Just fixed my Droid X

and I have no insurance :). How screwed am I? Anyone ever work with Motorola on replacing screens and their cost? Any guides to doing this yourself?

3 Weeks ago I dropped my Droid X face down on my drive way. It landed right on a little rock and put a large spider crack right in the middle of the glass. The phone still worked so I lived with it because I didn't have the insurance. Finally I found a company on eBay that had the glass and digitizer for sale so I ordered one for $70.00

The company I got the part from was GoTotallyWireless.com. I ordered the part Wednesday afternoon and had the part by Saturday!

Taking the phone apart wasn't too hard, I found a few threads online to help me with that. replacing the glass took me about 30 minutes total and the phone came out looking like new.

The digitizer and Glass are stuck together when you get the part so you can't just replace the glass.

Last edited:

Bama5150

Reaction score
The company I got the part from was GoTotallyWireless.com. I ordered the part Wednesday afternoon and had the part by Saturday!

I ordered replacement glass from this company, had it the next day. Great service.

However, when i installed the glass i managed to damage a small little white wire that has 2 snap connectors on it. The new screen looks and works great. I havent found out yet what the wire does as everything i have tried works....does anyone know??

Voyager248

Reaction score
$122 (not $75) is what motorolla is charging me to fix the droid x screen. Saying 5-7 day turn around. pics attached.

djzachtyler

Reaction score
Now on topic, will verizon/moto only replace my X if its within the 30 day period? My X sucks battery down at an alarming rate and after reading the success people here have had with their replacements' battery life being superior to their originals', i've been considerig calling verizon for a replacement. I am NOT asking how i can defraud verizon, just asking if anyone knows their policy.

I was having issues with my DX getting very warm in my pocket and also having battery issues. It seems some of the battery units may be a bit wonky. Call VZW and tell them your phone is staying very warm near the bottom and also let them know the battery is not lastuing an entire day... you will be shipped a BNIB battery no questions. Also do not have to return the old one.

You should keep in mind that with this phone battery life is gonna suffer regardless. Allthough since the 2.2 OTA update mine is doing way better now.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea these phones with Gorilla Glass have to land just right to crack, break. I've had 3 face plants and all I have is a lil nick on my screen. 2 outside getting out of cars and 1 indoors on a hard tile floor. I'm not gonna lie, the 2nd outdoor faceplant ...I could just see a spider web looking back at me when I picked my phone up...shocked me when it wasnt there...lol

Verizon CS is good tho. I had a E815 with no insurance some years ago. The charging port got broke, a piece fell out. If I still had the piece they woulda charged me $50 to get it fixed, but I didnt. I wound up getting a new phone. They did move up my upgrade date tho to get the new phone.

Verizon CS has always been good to me...I think thats why I havent thought about switching to another carrier.

Last edited:

Rotorcore

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass?? I dropped my phone today, I even broke the fall with my foot it landed on the corner, the glass still broke... i what junk. My daughter dropped my wifes phone on our tile floor and shattered it and she's not even two feet tall.

I've got insurance and I'm not worried about the $80, my concern is getting a new phone with stock froyo.... I've got my phone all tricked out and running perfect but I did it from 2.1 and never loaded the factory update. Am I going to have a problem getting my root on and my rom manager on? I read somewhere that Motorola plugged up the hole that the developers were using to root and the new devices are shipping with a modified boot loader? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

johnsonddj

Reaction score
Send it to Motorola

I broke the screen on my Droid X. The 5 to 7 business days Motorola said it could take to do the repair seemed to be a long time to be without the phone, so I sent to it Cell Phone Repair (http://www.chicagocellrepair.com/). Before sending it, they quoted $105 for the fix, and I paid $35 to ship it to them using next day service. Once they had my phone, the cost for the same repair somehow jumped to $185. They refused to honor their original estimate. Don’t let these guys have your phone!To be fair, I need to mention that when I balked at the jacked up price, they did send the phone back to me via next day shipping at their expense.

Next I sent the phone to Motorola, who quoted me $110. They received my phone on a Tuesday, and I had it back the following Monday, and the repair cost matched their quote. Really wish I would have sent it to them in the fist place.

Last edited:

mikey4226

Reaction score
To those of you who brought in your phones with cracked screens within the 30 day period and got free replacements, how did you go about doing that? Is that standard or do you have good relationships with the reps at the store and they hooked you up? I'm still within my 30 days, so it's nice to know that if I do drop it (hopefully not), I have a little leeway.

Liquidice007

Reaction score
Droid X Screen Repair Service I used

Hey I usually just read on here, however I saw your dilemma and thought I would post my experience. I used Get your iPod, iPhone, iPad or Smartphone Repaired in 3 easy steps!, they had the best price I could find and beat Motorola by $30 (from the $125 I was quoted, If someone else got them to do it for $75 -> lucky!). They were quick and the phone looks great. Here is a link directly to the page with the Droid X service:

Motorola Droid X Cracked Touch Screen Repair Service - iRepairNational

Good Luck!