Droid razr cracked screen

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by Rzrback, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rzrback

Rzrback New Member

I bought my phone the first day it came out. I have always taken care of my phone and I have never had a cracked screen. I got up off the couch in which my phone fell into my carpet and the screen cracked. I called Verizon who told me to call Motorola which I did and they will not stand behind their product since it had physical damage. My phone had already been getting extremely hot while charging and using it. I talked to everyone they allowed me to for them to tell nee to fax or email next person up. I've been a loyal Motorola customer owning the Droid x the Xoom etc. They want me to use my insurance which don't have a problem but just afraid the replacement will be as flimsy. I know the glass isn't unbreakable but shouldn't have cracked, and now its just spider webbing. Any ideas or solutions would be great thanx. Sorry for such a long thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Terribly unfortunate for you. Any answer other than "we'll send you a new one for no cost" will be painful, but a broken screen is not considered a defect until which time either the manufacturer determines there was a defective manufacturing process, or until a class-action suit is brought against a manufacturer and as part of the settlement the manufacturer either agrees to or is ordered by the court to resolve the defect. You have heard of "recalls". This would be the likely scenario to resolve this problem, if it's widespread and in excess of the norm.

As for the new phone being likely to crack as well, I have a thoery that goes like this. The extremely thin phone becomes more subject to flex on many angles and several axis, but in an attempt to alleviate that, the manufacturer decided to create a "lamination" effect by fusing the individual layers together into one quasi-unit - not too unlike Plywood. This is done with double-sided adhesive between selected layers. Then there was a Stainless Steel "frame" or backbone (a rectangular box) which runs the circumfrence of the phone internally and was intended to further "stiffen" the phone. Still unfortunately the multiple efforts to strengthen the phone and reduce flex may not have been enough to offset the ultra-thin glass on both the digitizer and the actual display which is fused to the digitizer, so in some cases one will crack but not the other. It also seems that in many cases even large falls from great height (top of a ladder) have little ill effect whereas unfortunately even small falls like yours, or dropping something on it (a bracelet from 6") results in cracked glass. I think this ill effect from relatively minor bumps is due to the glass already being "stressed" by possibly the lamination and/or the bezel (metal surround) placing undue pressures on the two glass components.

So the short answer (yeah, I'm long-winded), is that you may have no problems with your new phone, or you may have another unfortunate event similar to this. What I would suggest is to add an Otterbox (either the Commuter or the full case), and you may reduce or eliminate the causes of future damage.
  3. Zandar

Zandar New Member

4. ddfuji

ddfuji New Member

do you use a case? i drop my phone all the time and i have some 10 dollar case. i check my screen all the time though cause of stories like these :D
  5. Rzrback

Rzrback New Member

No didn't have a case on it at this time. I really just didn't think this phone would be that fragile. But for future references I will get a case. Bit for another question does anyone else phone get so hot while charging and using?

6. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

My phone does not even get warm let alone hot. I have heard people say their does but I have no idea why.

Also, it is odd how one phone can seem fragile while another is a brick.. the good kind. I have dropped my RAZR on more than one occasion and onto concrete without even a scratch. Just the other day, it fell into the pavement gave down and slid and I feared the worst based on others misfortune and I was happy to see that there was not a single mark on the phone. Maybe I am just lucky.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. ddfuji

ddfuji New Member

i know my phone would be cracked and broken if i didnt have a case on it. its a really small simple case but it does save me from using my warranty and getting frustrated over a cracked screen. mine gets hot if the back is down and there is no air flow or air. but its more warm then it is hot. it gets hot if im using the phone and charging it at the same time
  8. Greeny

Greeny New Member

My phone is in an Otterbox Defender case and never gets warm let alone hot when sitting around or when charging.
  9. pinoy_92

pinoy_92 New Member

i seriously think im getting smarter everytime i read one of your posts.

cant believe you dropped it on carpet and it broke. i had no idea it was that fragile.

as for the OP's phone, just give the the razr one more shot and try to get a case this time.
  10. Jungle King 76

Jungle King 76 New Member

I can't help but think it must have been a faulty phone to begin with. Breaking on carpet is hard to imagine since I have dropped mine on concrete several times with out so much as a mark. Just the other day I dropped it from shoulder height (I am 6 ft) and it was fine.

11. FoxKat

Hehe...don't blame me if you get smarter. That's not the intended purpose. I do this to make myself feel dumber!!

12. Rzrback

Rzrback New Member

I will give it another chance BC I think it was faulty too with it getting hot, and cracking so easy really love the phone but was disappointed. Thanx for ur comments

13. FoxKat

14. dlmalone81201

dlmalone81201 New Member

My phone does get hot charging and using it as for the screen I got a protector on it dropped it many times even got stuck in my recliner just put a dent on protector I think it might be a faulty screen you have.

15. sharpRAZR

sharpRAZR New Member

Same thing has happened to me. My RAZR fell out of my lap when I was getting out of my car. It only fell about 18", but the screen cracked. Mine also gets warm from time to time...not always, but enough to be concerned about. I didn't purchase insurance because I thought "kevlar and Gorilla glass...pretty indestructible". Stupid me. I see a lot of post here about this happening with short falls, or for no apparent reason. Seems to me there is something going on to cause these screen to break so easily and Motorola should do something, but alas, they probably would never admit there's a problem. Sent it in for repair when they told me it was still under warranty, but they sent it back unrepaired because "there is physical damage". It seems I will have to pay for the repair!
  16. czissman

czissman New Member

Motorola will repair physical damage for free, if the owner can make a compelling argument that the damage was the result of a defect rather than negligence by the user.

The LCD panel on my RAZR cracked within about 10-days of purchase, rendering the screen black. The outer glass did not break. I had dropped the phone a couple of times, though never from a great height and never onto a very hard surface. I've never had a device break with so little "eternal influence" as my RAZR did, and I've had a mobile device continuously since the mid 80s.

My RAZR was insured, but since it broke so quickly I decided to send it to Motorola for warranty repair rather than use one of my two-per-year, $90 insurance opportunities. Initially, Motorola declined my request for free repair because physical damage is excluded from warranty. I escalated the matter and successfully argued that a consumer aught to expect a device to be more robust than mine was, and I stated that the device must have had a defect that caused the screen to break very easily. In my case, the screen didn't go black after being dropped, it did so after ending one call and starting another. And yes, I told Motorola I had dropped the device.

I love the success story that Motorola is (Nokia really ate their lunch a while back, but where is Nokia now, and where is Motorola? I have no idea about Nokia, but Motorola is making the best mobile devices around, IMHO, with the features I want and need: The RAZR + Lapdock is exactly what I've been waiting for for years, effectively turning a mobile phone into a device that may quite possibly make my home computer unnecessary.) I was glad to see that Motorola stands behind their products.

I think the lesson here is this: A device as thin as the RAZR is going to be relatively fragile. If you have butterfingers or are otherwise anything less than gentle with it, and you don't put a *good* case on it (I'm buying an Otterbox Defender for mine, and won't reactivate it until the Defender arrives), then there's a good change you'll break it. But Motorola will listen to reason, and if your RAZR breaks too easily-and there's a reasonable chance that a defect caused the breakage-then Motorola will do the right thing.

NOTE: If you toss your RAZR around, or drop it alot, and it breaks, then you too should do the right thing by *not* expecting Motorola to fix it for free. Just be reasonable with them, and they'll be reasonable with you.
  17. Russfox40

Russfox40 New Member

Similar Story

Got up for work and checked on a few things before leaving the house, everything working great. Have had my RAZR for 2 mos. Get to work and after an hour checked on something for a co-worker, screen is black and can't seem to get the phone to come on. Battery was 100% when I left home. After work went to local Verizon Corp. store and had them check it out. While waiting for help, phone vibrated several times but nothing indicates that it is on. Just before I am helped I look down and see that the bottom 1/3 of screen is cracked. This was not there until now. I took off the screen protector to feel the crack but can't because it is internal.
    Now, I am helped by a very nice and sympathetic lady who also can't get anything to come up but does feel a vibration and sees the crack. Since I purchase all of my equipment over the phone I have to deal with them but her supervisor says because of the crack, which is damage, that can't be proven either my fault or not I will have to deal with Asurion and hope that they will not seek my deductible.
    I go home and call Verizon first and explain the situation and am routed to Tech Support and sent me a Like New replacement because this is something that they have not seen and want it to find out why the screen went dead. BTW, before the replacement arrived an alarm I had went off at home and my daughter had to turn the volume down since there is no way to turn it off.
    Not overly happy with a LIKE NEW phone, but this is the second time I have had one and the last one has worked for over 20 mos. and my wife is happy with it. Good Luck.
Search tags for this page
broken droid razr screen

cracked droid razr screen

cracked screen on droid razr
droid razr broken glass

droid razr broken screen

droid razr cracked glass

droid razr cracked screen

droid razr cracked screen repair

droid razr screen broken

droid razr screen crack

droid razr screen cracking problem