New Droid X User

creaky

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat. However, I'm new to Android. My X should arrive next week. I was planning on rooting it with z4root and going from there.

Now, I'm a noob to both Android and rooting. I'm making my way through all the posts about these subjects but:

Any advice on ROMs/themes? Liberty seems popular so I was thinking of starting there.

Any advice on apps?

Just can't wait to deep six my Storm 1!

Thanks!

immortal_ben

Reaction score
I have to tell you that I tried reading all the stickies on rooting and I ended up completely confused.

I tried one of the technical roots, ran into a wall, got NO help from the forum, and rooted with z4.

I was also hesitant about the huge screen, but now I cannot imagine going back to anything smaller.

Enjoy your phones, guys.dancedroid

Mule65

Reaction score
The battery life is much better than the HTC Inc. I run LauncherPro unrooted with only a few widgets, all email pushed -- no polling, Leave BT, WIFI, GPS off unless needed and usually get two days on a charge.

creaky

Reaction score
Although I haven't tried them yet, there are a series of tutorials on YouTube by XDroidROM that take you through the rooting process, recovery/back-up, and flashing ROMs. The first is here:

[video=youtube;ymdVLL1ioUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdVLL1ioUc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - Droid X Z4 Root Tutorial (Droid X Root)[/video]

OP
D

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
I have to tell you that I tried reading all the stickies on rooting and I ended up completely confused.

I tried one of the technical roots, ran into a wall, got NO help from the forum, and rooted with z4.

The problem is, the versions, hosting links, procedures change and no one goes back to those threads to edit the updated information. Also I find support disappears about a week after a Root/Rom procedure is released.

OP
D

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
The battery life is much better than the HTC Inc. I run LauncherPro unrooted with only a few widgets, all email pushed -- no polling, Leave BT, WIFI, GPS off unless needed and usually get two days on a charge.

What's LauncherPro do?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a great home replacement app. In my opinion, the best out there. You can do a lot of customizing on your dock, app drawer and icons all without being rooted! But rooting is still the best.

Sent from my rooted DROID2

immortal_ben

Reaction score
If you find you do not like LauncherPro, give ADW Launcher a try. Thats what I use, and am very happy with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Every phone is different it seems. Adw is Sooooo laggy on my d2 but launcher pro flies and i've heard the opposite from others so yeah, try them both

Sent from my rooted DROID2

Reaction score
I guess I am the one person here who didn't like their DX. After trying out a buddy's Fascinate, I jumped ship (actually to an Epic on boost since it is stupid cheap). Everything about the Galaxy S is better IMO and the 4" SAMOLED kicks the everliving crap out of the slightly bigger dull and washed out 4.3" LCD on the DX. Watch a movie on a Galaxy sitting next to a DX and your reaction will be "wtf seriously?".

With that said, the DX is silly easy to root and modify. The z4root I've attached works fine on Froyo .340 and all you do is go into applications, allow unknown sources and then install the apk with any file manager like Astro. Click permanent root and let it do its thing. If it hangs, restart and it should work the second time.

Then all you do is grab DX bootstraper, droid overclock by jrummy, root explorer and a few others. Roms are very easy to install with clockwork.

Still, I have had a FAR better experience with my Epic as far as ease of use, development and just overall a nicer piece of hardware. Yes Samsung's support for it was garbage with not getting official Froyo till recently but we had a leak for a looong time so whatevs.

OP
D

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
Well after a weekend with the Droid X, it's come back down to reality that there doesn't seem to be a perfect/stable Droid phone on the market.

Droid X restarts randomly when you're in the middle of tasks.

For some reason the Voice Command pops up randomly and totally drags down the speed of the phone. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable this.

Live wallpaper also brings the speed of the phone down to a crawl.

I guess I'll just deal with this until June and I can finally "UPGRADE" my phone.

michael101108

Reaction score
sounds like you might have a software problem or just a bad phone. try doing a factory reset first and if that doesnt help, i would get a replacement.

Reaction score
Yeah, talk to verizon about the random reboots and they will issue you a replacement, it's is a known issue and they week fix it.

Been to the Gingerbread house and back to the DarkSlide...