Droid touch screen freaking out

Gehangin

Reaction score
This happens to me in-flight, usually when the plane begins descending.
By the time we land, its fine.

warren

Reaction score
You're not using a case with a magnetic closure, are you?

I learned that the hard way.

Gehangin

Reaction score
i use the Seidio innocase.
i don't think its magnetic.

CrashnBrn

Reaction score
Does anyone know why this happens? It happened to me again, seems to happen once a week. Same symptoms that I descibed in my post above. It just went crazy, I did a battery pull and it fixed it this time.

Can it possible be my Zagg invisi-shield, I doubt it since this just started to happen??

I am going to try to "reset" the phone tonight and see if that fixes the problem, otherwise calling Verizon or BB :(

funkylovemonkey

Reaction score
This just happened to me last week. Phantom fingers all across my screen. Opening up apps, calling people. At first taking out the battery worked, but eventually that stopped working so I did a factory reset. Didn't help, it was so bad that I couldn't even reactivate the phone. Went into the Verizon store and they had it replaced on warranty. Just got my new phone today.

What freaked me out was that my new phone (I think it's refurbished, but I can't tell) did the same thing very briefly only a few hours after I had finally gotten all my things reloaded.

I'm a little bit frustrated, I really don't want to go another week without my phone. I'm concerned that it isn't a software problem but possibly a hardware problem since the factory reboot didn't resolve the problem at all.

funkylovemonkey

Reaction score
Oh, and as a side note, I've never used a case for my phone. My first thought was the invisible shield on the screen, but taking it off didn't change anything. I hadn't updated any apps recently, and most of the apps I have installed are fairly standard, with only beautiful widgets and GDE running all the time. I also haven't used any plugs that didn't come from the manufacturer. The first time I noticed it, however, it was plugged into my dock.

Cr3beast

Reaction score
Remove battery, hold down power button for 20 seconds, put battery back in and turn on the phone. Helped me with a similar problem. Good luck!

syntax53

Reaction score
This started happening to me for the first time yesterday after owning my droid since November. After fumbling through the menus in between the randomness I can get it to shutdown and then reboot it. Sometimes it starts happening right away and sometimes it will last an hour. So far since rebooting it last night it hasn't happened again but I'm just waiting for it to.

I only have ever used the official car charger and official cradles to charge it. i did have an official screen protector on it until yesterday when I ripped it off in frustration. That didn't make any difference though.

Apps I have installed are the swype beta (latest version as of a couple weeks ago), audiomanager, newsrob, verizon fios dvr, mototorch, shopsavvy, weatherbug elite, snesoid, handcent sms, astro file manager, voice recorder, kewels, barcode scanner, free advanced task killer (don't use it for automatic killing), missed call, calwidget, stopwatch, remote vnc w/ad, sportstap, quick profiles, 3d level, corporate directory, solitare, notepad, battle.net authenticator, ringdroid, netmeter, any cut, meebo im, and appsinstaller

edit: not running froyo. On 2.1 that was installed from google download (as opposed to OTA).

Cr3beast

Reaction score
Ok, so my phone had started working again with removing the battery and holding down the power button. However, a few days later it started again so I took it to verizon and asked them what was going on. The chick called tech support and they couldn't figure it out, so 2 days later I received a "new" phone in the mail, had my files transferred by verizon and gave them the old phone. It was covered by the manufactures warranty so it didn't cost me anything. You could try to get a replacement cuz it will just keep doing it as far as I have seen. Good luck!

jesta192

Reaction score
Attempting to post this from my crippled Droid...

This started with mine around late May. Installed "Multitouch Visualizer" and it's obvious tbat the screen is receiving random input from a column right above the Home button. Extremely frustrating--love the Droid but this makes it kind of useless.

Called Verizon Tech Support today since the problem reoccurred with fury, and the tech said he has a Droid and it did the same thing this weekend to him! Anyway, they are sending a replacement to my hotel (out of town) and he overnighted it. Not happy about the thought of a refurb, but if the new one works I won't complain much.

BTW, anyone else have purple softkeys? Mine aren't really white like the in-store version I've seen, more like a shade of violet... Maybe my replacement will have white softkeys?

AmeliaDarling

Reaction score
Yes!

Been using a aftermarket charger recently?

I bought a new power cord three days ago and it's taking a long time to charge AND the screen has been freaking out since. right now I'm looking at it and all kinds of windows are opening and I have a hard time selecting anything.

What does the power cord have to do with this?

bamarammin87

Reaction score
Mine just started doing stuff like this yesterday:

* Notification bar opens up on its own
* Screen jumps around randomly as I'm swiping
* App drawer hung up halfway open and started shaking like mad
* Home screen stops responding and sometimes doesn't even display icons
* Device hangs for many seconds at a time intermittently, requiring a battery pull
* Home button and Search button stop responding to presses intermittently (and sometimes the home button would work just fine, but the search button was completely unresponsive no matter which app I was in)
* Trying to move an icon around would cause it to start jumping around wildly on its own, mostly over to the right side of my screen, before eventually returning on its own back to its original location
* My browser zooms in as I'm swiping, as if I'm using multitouch, but I'm only touching the screen in one place.

I've uninstalled any apps that I installed recently and I'm rebooting again...for the gazillionth time. I'll see if that makes any difference. I'm worried that the phone is just about to completely crap out on me.

FYI, I'm running stock 2.1.

Same thing here. I'm on my 2nd droid with the same problems.

jesta192

Reaction score
Mine just started doing stuff like this yesterday:

* Notification bar opens up on its own
* Screen jumps around randomly as I'm swiping
* App drawer hung up halfway open and started shaking like mad
* Home screen stops responding and sometimes doesn't even display icons
* Device hangs for many seconds at a time intermittently, requiring a battery pull
* Home button and Search button stop responding to presses intermittently (and sometimes the home button would work just fine, but the search button was completely unresponsive no matter which app I was in)
* Trying to move an icon around would cause it to start jumping around wildly on its own, mostly over to the right side of my screen, before eventually returning on its own back to its original location
* My browser zooms in as I'm swiping, as if I'm using multitouch, but I'm only touching the screen in one place.

I've uninstalled any apps that I installed recently and I'm rebooting again...for the gazillionth time. I'll see if that makes any difference. I'm worried that the phone is just about to completely crap out on me.

FYI, I'm running stock 2.1.

Same thing here. I'm on my 2nd droid with the same problems.

I'm not having any trouble with my replacement, EXCEPT that this unit exhibits the charging version of the problem. It is easy to avoid in that case if you touch the bezel with one finger while using the screen with the other.

Are you seeing the charging issue with yours? (try touching the bezel to see)

Steve H

Reaction score
Both of my Droids have had the screens go crazy. Finally I figured it out. The clear factory protector on the back of the slide out was was getting balled up and pressing keys. Took the protector off and the problem is gone!!!!!!!!

jesta192

Reaction score
Both of my Droids have had the screens go crazy. Finally I figured it out. The clear factory protector on the back of the slide out was was getting balled up and pressing keys. Took the protector off and the problem is gone!!!!!!!!

This makes a lot of sense. But if that's the case, then you wouldn't have a problem when the keyboard was slid out, correct?