Droid Freaking Out!!!!!!!

fingaz

Reaction score
Something weird is happening to my Moto Droid. It's freaking out. I think there is something wrong with the touch input or keyboard or the gold directional pad on the right side of the qwerty keyboard.

What happens is, the screen jumps around, moves from one screen to another, selects items on the phone, types random letters.... just does random actions on the phone and pretty much renders the phone useless. Imagine you were sitting at your computer and you took your hand and you repeatedly smashed down on the keyboard like a 2 year old. At the same time you took the mouse and wildly waved it around the screen clicking randomly, highlighting, clicking, opening programs and generally running a muck. That's pretty much what the Droid is doing.

I don't know if it is a virus or something is going haywire with one of the input devices... but its pretty messed up.

Some more info: it doesn't seem like there is any water damage, the screen and glass are intact and working fine and the normal droid software is working fine (when it is not doing this, I can run apps, type messages and use everything fine).

Has anyone had a problem like this? HELP!!!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This kind of malfunction has, in the past, been tied to using a non-standard charger or a bad screen/digitizer. Was it exhibiting this behavior while plugged into either a computer or a charger? If not, you may have a bad digitizer. Also, I remember someone that said theirs had done this when the screen was very, very dirty (not sure about veracity of this as it was hear-say).

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
This can also happen if the screen is wet.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
This exact same thing happened to me and a friend of mine with the same phone about 2 months ago. The day before, I did have my phone plugged into a Blackberry charger, but my friend did not, So I'm not sure if thats the reason or not. After about two days though, it stopped freaking out. My friends stopped freaking out too about the same time. Problem is, now my back button doesnt work and the entire column of screen above the back button, (the whole left edge of the screen) will no longer respond to touch. (this makes it difficult to play "Words With Friends" because it won't let me put letters on the left edge of the board or grab the last remaining letter) My friends phone works perfectly now:blink: I think it's just a bad digitizer, but I have heard some conspiracy theorists say that they've called Verizon about the problem and as soon they bought another phone (and extend their contract) the phone started working perfectly. I doubt that's the case, but it sure would be terrible if it were true. Bottom line for me . . . nothing lasts forever, time for a new phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have heard some conspiracy theorists say that they've called Verizon about the problem and as soon they bought another phone (and extend their contract) the phone started working perfectly. I doubt that's the case, but it sure would be terrible if it were true.
Those are people that don't understand causal versus coincidental.

Reaction score
The entire middle column above the app drawer is dead for mine. I believe it's from overclocking the phone to 1.25ghz for all these months in combination with the extreme heat of summer. Hopefully something even cooler will be out in when i t's time for an upgrade! :)

Pinhi

Reaction score
My 2 year old Droid is doing the exact same thing as several others have described above. It started yesterday with the back button and left side not working and then exactly as fingaz described above, started freaking out. It did that for several hours and then quit however the back button still does not work and it does some other flaky things. I did a factory reset several times, but it did not help. I'm due for an upgrade with Verizon but was really hoping to hold out til Ice Cream Sandwich came out in several months. Not sure what I'm going to do now.

v65infla

Reaction score
Mine is going on two years old this week and has been doing this sporadically for some time. It happen's any time it get's moist. From just high humidity to sweating on it or getting caught in a light rain. The answer is to power on, power off and let your Automatic Task Killer reset. In the times of extreme stubbornness it helps to remove the battery and reset. In the worse cases you may have to do both several times. It's the one thing I have always hated about this phone. Holding it up front of an a/c vent in the car for a few minutes while driving has helped. My buddy's did it so much he went to the Iphone. My wife's LG Alley does it also which leads me to believe its an "Android" thing??

HikenGruven

Reaction score
I'm as noob as they come, but my Droid 1 one started doing something similar to this off and on. It would come out of nowhere. I removed my screen protector that had been on the phone for a very long time and it solved the problem. Worth a shot if you have an old screen protector.

colema

Reaction score
Something weird is happening to my Moto Droid. It's freaking out.
What happens is, the screen jumps around, moves from one screen to another, selects items on the phone, types random letters.... just does random actions on the phone and pretty much renders the phone useless. Imagine you were sitting at your computer and you took your hand and you repeatedly smashed down on the keyboard like a 2 year old. At the same time you took the mouse and wildly waved it around the screen clicking randomly, highlighting, clicking, opening programs and generally running a muck. That's pretty much what the Droid is doing.

Has anyone had a problem like this? HELP!!!!

Hmmm... moisture ..heat... possibly, or just a good old fashioned possession. :D

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
my phone went crazy on me after installing 2.3.4 port over froyo, had to install leaked 2.3.3 first.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

63babyboy

Reaction score
Mine Droid is doing the same thing!!!!!!!!!!

I am having the same problem with my 2 year old Droid. Tried removing the battery a couple of times....no luck. The weather is very humid at the moment and I have a screen protector as well. I will leave phone off for a while and try it again. I really like this phone hate to see it die on me. Contracts suck!!!!!!!!!

alpha49er

Reaction score
Mine was doing it off and on for the last 3 months. Yesterday it started making phone calls and posting gibberish to twitter so I managed to do a Factory Data Restore and so far it has stopped plus it is working faster. I'm not sure if i had too many apps, or a mis-installed app that may have been causing it. I am adding the apps back in gradually to see if an app was the problem. Plus I'm seriously contemplating a root job. lots of benefits and a little risk to spice it up...

Reaction score
Well, mine started yesterday by first locking up and then it wouldn't shut off so I let it wait and then I heard the screen lock. I pulled it out to see if it started working again and nothing was coming up on the screen. I did a battery pull and put it back in but it wouldn't boot, the only thing it did was to light the back light up but no Motorola logo or anything. Today the same thing happened, I let it sit and nothing on the screen but I could feel it vibrate and realized that it was like the back light was dead because I could unlock my phone but couldn't navigate. I pulled the battery and the same thing happened no logo or anything just the back light coming on. I can early upgrade but I'll have to pay extra and lose my last NE2, I'm due on Nov. 29th...

m3kilpat

Reaction score
I've had this happen to 3 OG droids and forced me to upgrade early. I used the same charger provided in the box from my original purchase and the phones never got wet. It was such a PITA, especially since I had no warranty and Verizon would not help me out. I was forced to upgrade to a Thunderbolt which is ok but as of late not nearly as good as what I had been waiting for.