Droid touch screen freaking out

AnDr3wYoN

Reaction score
Running a rooted Moto Droid with CM 5.0.6.2 and nextheme

My phone was acting weird all week and ten today the touch screen was either completely unresponsive or clicking randomly by itself.

When the touch screen is unresponsive the "strip" of the screen that stretches from the menu key to the home key does not work at all.

When the screen is freaking out the exact opposite happens, only the points within the "strip" are getting randomly pressed.

I went into dev tools to see what was going on and when I use the pointer locator it showed that when the screen was unresponsive, clicking the strip would register as two different clicks outside the strip. (if you click the middle, two points would register to the side)

and when the screen is freaking out the pointer locator says that there is input on the center of the strip, even when I am not touching it.

Does anyone know what's going on? I'd rather not go through the hassle of getting a new one.

detox07

Reaction score
By chance did you get any moisture on it? I've noticed that even sweat can cause my screen to go wonky, also some fine dirt particulates have caused it too.

Usually when this happens I just hit sleep, and hopefully I don't need to use it, one instance I actually pulled my battery and left it for a couple hours while the moisture dried and that fixed it.

OP
A

AnDr3wYoN

Reaction score
By chance did you get any moisture on it? I've noticed that even sweat can cause my screen to go wonky, also some fine dirt particulates have caused it too.

Usually when this happens I just hit sleep, and hopefully I don't need to use it, one instance I actually pulled my battery and left it for a couple hours while the moisture dried and that fixed it.

Hitting sleep did help remedy the problem for a good 30 seconds but now hitting sleep or battery pulling does not do anything. I've even tried going back to stock firmware and that did not help either.

I also did leave the battery out for 5 hours and just put it back in when i posted this, and still the problems are there.

JCo352

Reaction score
Been using a aftermarket charger recently?

OP
A

AnDr3wYoN

Reaction score
Been using a aftermarket charger recently?

I am using the charger and usb cord that came in the box, would charging from my computer have anything to do with it?

Reaction score
This same thing happened with mine, tried to see if it work itself out but after a week it got irritating so i took it down to verizon and they replaced it.

Of the three droids we have in our house two have had issues mine and my moms, hers acted like it was possessed and would go into menus randomly call people, get on the internet everything all while you are holding the phone not touching any buttons.

If it doesn't get better in a couple of days i would take it to verizon it should be covered under manufactures warranty

gszeman

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, but is this happening all the time, or only when it's plugged into your computer?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jcardona1

Reaction score
i had this happen before when it wasnt plugged into anything. mine started right after i updated an app, so i have a feeling it could be an app that isnt playing nice with your phone. now the fun part is trying to figure out which one it may be!

OP
A

AnDr3wYoN

Reaction score
i had this happen before when it wasnt plugged into anything. mine started right after i updated an app, so i have a feeling it could be an app that isnt playing nice with your phone. now the fun part is trying to figure out which one it may be!

Yea I thought that might have been it but it was still freaking out after a clean wipe, even before logging into my google account.

johninbigd

Reaction score
Mine just started doing stuff like this yesterday:

* Notification bar opens up on its own
* Screen jumps around randomly as I'm swiping
* App drawer hung up halfway open and started shaking like mad
* Home screen stops responding and sometimes doesn't even display icons
* Device hangs for many seconds at a time intermittently, requiring a battery pull
* Home button and Search button stop responding to presses intermittently (and sometimes the home button would work just fine, but the search button was completely unresponsive no matter which app I was in)
* Trying to move an icon around would cause it to start jumping around wildly on its own, mostly over to the right side of my screen, before eventually returning on its own back to its original location
* My browser zooms in as I'm swiping, as if I'm using multitouch, but I'm only touching the screen in one place.

I've uninstalled any apps that I installed recently and I'm rebooting again...for the gazillionth time. I'll see if that makes any difference. I'm worried that the phone is just about to completely crap out on me.

FYI, I'm running stock 2.1.

deminimis

Reaction score
Same problem here. Phone is babied and I only use the Moto chargers. New phone on the way. Funny thing is, Verizon tells me this is not a reported/known problem. Hummm.

CrashnBrn

Reaction score
Mine just started doing stuff like this yesterday:

* Notification bar opens up on its own
* Screen jumps around randomly as I'm swiping
* App drawer hung up halfway open and started shaking like mad
* Home screen stops responding and sometimes doesn't even display icons
* Device hangs for many seconds at a time intermittently, requiring a battery pull
* Home button and Search button stop responding to presses intermittently (and sometimes the home button would work just fine, but the search button was completely unresponsive no matter which app I was in)
* Trying to move an icon around would cause it to start jumping around wildly on its own, mostly over to the right side of my screen, before eventually returning on its own back to its original location
* My browser zooms in as I'm swiping, as if I'm using multitouch, but I'm only touching the screen in one place.

I've uninstalled any apps that I installed recently and I'm rebooting again...for the gazillionth time. I'll see if that makes any difference. I'm worried that the phone is just about to completely crap out on me.

FYI, I'm running stock 2.1.

Weird, mine started to do the exact same thing last night. I doubt this is a random occurrence. I don't think I updated any apps yesterday.

Actually I think I updated ChompSMS.

After doing a battery pull it was still doing the same thing so I let the phone sit (time out) for a little while and now all is well?

This is strange......