Droid touch screen freaking out

bamarammin87

Reaction score
I haven't seen a charging problem. What is the bezel? I'll try it tonight and see. Btw, I don't use aftermarket chargers, cases of any kind, or screen protectors.

jesta192

Reaction score
I haven't seen a charging problem. What is the bezel? I'll try it tonight and see. Btw, I don't use aftermarket chargers, cases of any kind, or screen protectors.

The bezel, the part surrounding the screen (the part that isn't glass). It's metal, and although it appears painted, it still seems to conduct electricity, which seems to be what the screen needs while charging.

I think there is a grounding problem with the screens, and it manifests in one of two ways, depending on the specific phone.

I used a USB cigarette lighter adapter to charge my previous Droid, but I am using a 110V inverter in the car for this one to make sure that isn't what caused my previous problems (still can't see how it would affect the touchscreen, but whatever). I used a magnetic case for my Droid (my old AT&T Tilt case) for the first two or three days until I found a velcro case at Wal-Mart. I have never used screen protectors with my Droids (what's the point if the screen is glass? It's more likely to break than scratch, and a screen protector won't stop breakage).

syntax53

Reaction score
This started happening to me for the first time yesterday after owning my droid since November. After fumbling through the menus in between the randomness I can get it to shutdown and then reboot it. Sometimes it starts happening right away and sometimes it will last an hour. So far since rebooting it last night it hasn't happened again but I'm just waiting for it to.

I only have ever used the official car charger and official cradles to charge it. i did have an official screen protector on it until yesterday when I ripped it off in frustration. That didn't make any difference though.

Apps I have installed are the swype beta (latest version as of a couple weeks ago), audiomanager, newsrob, verizon fios dvr, mototorch, shopsavvy, weatherbug elite, snesoid, handcent sms, astro file manager, voice recorder, kewels, barcode scanner, free advanced task killer (don't use it for automatic killing), missed call, calwidget, stopwatch, remote vnc w/ad, sportstap, quick profiles, 3d level, corporate directory, solitare, notepad, battle.net authenticator, ringdroid, netmeter, any cut, meebo im, and appsinstaller

edit: not running froyo. On 2.1 that was installed from google download (as opposed to OTA).
My droid continues to do this off an on since June now. It seems to happen more so on hot days after my phone has been in my pocket. So it seems humidity plays a factor.

jesta192

Reaction score
My droid continues to do this off an on since June now. It seems to happen more so on hot days after my phone has been in my pocket. So it seems humidity plays a factor.

I advise you to do something sooner rather than later. Mine was off and on, until one (humid, of course) day, when I couldn't even accept phone calls. Even when I got my replacement the next evening, I still couldn't use the other phone. I didn't think that Verizon would be so willing to replace it, or I would have done it sooner. Maybe this problem is occurring more than we can imagine?

wcstory

Reaction score
My D1 did the same thing as you described.

The screen would dance back and forth like your finger was on the touch screen and the second issue was refusing to recognize the charger.

I ended up having to get a replacement from vzw. This was after a full factory reset back to day one. (power off. hold "x" key and power on. Will bring into reset) and also having vzw update the firmware.

Worked fine till I went swimming with it in my pocket - DOH!! I now have a D2. Much better voice quality and OS than D1.

Bill

bamarammin87

Reaction score
My D1 did the same thing as you described.

The screen would dance back and forth like your finger was on the touch screen and the second issue was refusing to recognize the charger.

I ended up having to get a replacement from vzw. This was after a full factory reset back to day one. (power off. hold "x" key and power on. Will bring into reset) and also having vzw update the firmware.

Worked fine till I went swimming with it in my pocket - DOH!! I now have a D2. Much better voice quality and OS than D1.

Bill
Interesting. How do you figure the OS is better?

wcstory

Reaction score
Maybe OS is the wrong term, how about operating environment. Subjectively my D2 "seems" to go from app to app and overall function much more smoothly. It is a feel more than an measurable value.

Bill

syntax53

Reaction score
Maybe OS is the wrong term, how about operating environment. Subjectively my D2 "seems" to go from app to app and overall function much more smoothly. It is a feel more than an measurable value.

Bill
That's because the hardware in the droid 2 is better.

mcstagger

Reaction score
So i am having a screen freak out issue. not sure why it started. i woke up with it in my bed and it has been whacky since. i have also noticed that when its hot it jumps around. i have cooled it down using a cold water bottle and it seems fine.

i am going to experiment with this. i am also going to try and absorb any possible moisture that might be trapped in there.

it sure is some weird and wild stuff.

rdburke

Reaction score
This same thing happened with mine, tried to see if it work itself out but after a week it got irritating so i took it down to verizon and they replaced it.

Of the three droids we have in our house two have had issues mine and my moms, hers acted like it was possessed and would go into menus randomly call people, get on the internet everything all while you are holding the phone not touching any buttons.

If it doesn't get better in a couple of days i would take it to verizon it should be covered under manufactures warranty

Same here, mine had to be replaced. You can try putting it in a container of rice for a few hours to possibly dry it out. Can't hurt to try it before getting it replaced. My replacement is a piece of junk. It does not play well if rooted.

jmonty

Reaction score
This same thing happened with mine, tried to see if it work itself out but after a week it got irritating so i took it down to verizon and they replaced it.

Of the three droids we have in our house two have had issues mine and my moms, hers acted like it was possessed and would go into menus randomly call people, get on the internet everything all while you are holding the phone not touching any buttons.

If it doesn't get better in a couple of days i would take it to verizon it should be covered under manufactures warranty

Same here, mine had to be replaced. You can try putting it in a container of rice for a few hours to possibly dry it out. Can't hurt to try it before getting it replaced. My replacement is a piece of junk. It does not play well if rooted.

My phone is out of Warranty and not sure what to do as I have tried most of the idea's for a fix in this thread?

joeydvdz

Reaction score
So I assume nobody knows an easy fix for this? I inherited a droid from a friend, same issue. Random phantom screen touches, entire right side of the digitizer doesn't recognize touches. Blah. I guess it's probably not gonna work as it did anymore.

leojbramble

Reaction score
Both of my Droids have had the screens go crazy. Finally I figured it out. The clear factory protector on the back of the slide out was was getting balled up and pressing keys. Took the protector off and the problem is gone!!!!!!!!

Wow, great! Thanks very much - certainly seems to be my issue. No wonder the problem vanished whenever I switched to the slide-out keyboard...

Surprised not to see more responses to this simple solution. Hope this is what's behind the problem for more of you guys.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
had the same issue begin for me today

tried wiping and restoring and wiping and installing fresh roms

it has to be a hardware issue or an issue you can't fix at least thats the impression i got from reading all day

time to get a new phone