[TOOLS] Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

jaybogg

Reaction score
@ TisMyDroid: Only thing that didn't match was when I ran Voodoo, the last box was not checked. Will try to research this, and figure out why.

Figured out why: When your writing "Rooting for Dummies", ya gotta remember we're dummies!! Pressed the "protect root" button" below the last box, and the 5th check mark magically appeared!!:biggrin: Hooda thunkit?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Jaybogg, I bet I missed that part too when I did it. You would have thought though, that if I missed that part I would have remembered to put it in there. So now you are going to have to help me out. Where exactly does that step fall. Should I put it right after "open Voodoo Root Keeper?" I will edit the instructions to include that.

And you aren't dummies!

jaybogg

Reaction score
Jaybogg, I bet I missed that part too when I did it. You would have thought though, that if I missed that part I would have remembered to put it in there. So now you are going to have to help me out. Where exactly does that step fall. Should I put it right after "open Voodoo Root Keeper?" I will edit the instructions to include that.

And you aren't dummies!

Last bulleted step in post #89: Reads: On your phone, open Voodoo Root Keeper. Check to make sure you are rooted (if all the boxes are checked in Voodoo Root Keeper you are officially rooted).

Suggested: On your phone, open Voodoo Root Keeper. Check to make sure you are rooted. First 4 boxes are checked. Press "Protect Root" Button. If all the boxes are checked, you are officially rooted.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thank you jaybogg! It is done! You're the Bomb!!!:icon_ banana::p

fldino

Reaction score
Droid Razr Maxx Root

thinking about rooting my Razr Maxx,will droidrazrutility1.8.1 work on stock razr maxx 6.16.211

brad582

Reaction score
i used this utility to root my droid razr maxx and then i tried to put a rom on my phone. i think i did something very wrong because i believe my phone is bricked and its dead and wont charge :( is over for my phone or is there a way i can fix it???

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Brad, the first thing you need to do is get the phone charged using the charger that came with the phone via a wall outlet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Vicious1

Reaction score
Well, gonna root tomorrow I think, but couple questions.

1 - does the rooting process require a factory reset, or is it just recommended before rooting? If I root without fdr, will my stuff still be there?

2 - with voodoo rootkeeper, if there is an ota, say to jelly bean, is it just a simple step to update, or does it require you to unroot, update, reboot, and another fdr, or does all your stuff stay?

Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Vicious1 said:
Well, gonna root tomorrow I think, but couple questions.

1 - does the rooting process require a factory reset, or is it just recommended before rooting? If I root without fdr, will my stuff still be there?

2 - with voodoo rootkeeper, if there is an ota, say to jelly bean, is it just a simple step to update, or does it require you to unroot, update, reboot, and another fdr, or does all your stuff stay?

Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome!

1-It is highly recommended to do an fdr, but not required. I would say, not necessary but it actually may be necessary depending on what might be set up on your phone. It is just the best way to ensure that you will have no conflicts or problems. If you do not do an fdr, all your stuff will still be there. Read post #89 of this thread for helpful ideas on doing an fdr and saving the stuff you want.
2-yes, with voodoo root keeper you can easily unroot to get your upgrade, then easily go back to root (although "easily" is a relative term. What I think is easy another might not). Most all, if not all, updates require you to reboot. Again fdr will be optional but is always recommended for major updates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

bukow1cm

Reaction score
Thoughts

ok so i have downloaded casual beta and the program doesnt recognize that it is connected to my phone from my MAC. thoughts?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would try using a Windows based machine since that program is using a .bat file to call DOS (Windows) commands to have your phone do certain things. Unless you have have a VM or Bootcamp of Linux, or want to run a terminal emulator and try the commands manually.

Last edited:

Abstraktion

Reaction score
So i used your utility and chose option 1 (coming from gingerbread). My phone is now pretty messed up. When I boot, I get the dualcore motorola symbol and then it shows an android laying down with his chest open and an error logo. What should I do? I can still boot up into AP fastboot. I have tried doing option 1 again and even tried doing option 7. Please advise!