[TOOLS] Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FoxKat, Tis: once rooted, do I NEED to install bootstrap or safestrap? I don't plan on flashing ROMs. What do these do? Are they akin to CWM?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you are not going to install any ROMS then install Bootstrap. The absolute only reason I know this is because MattyP said so, lol!!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
If you are not going to install any ROMS then install Bootstrap. The absolute only reason I know this is because MattyP said so, lol!!

Thanks for the quick reply! Another question (how else am I gonna learn). What does it do? I want to root so I can freeze apps with Ti backup, and install that cool cyan boot ani that FoxKat and MattyP worked so hard on.
Oh, last question...do those 2 ever sleep? :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Damn, you don't wait to grandstand, do you? :D

This might be your first stickie! :thumbup:

You might want to add Phone Logs Backup & Restore From the same Dev, Ritesh Sahu, to you're routine. I like to be able to refer back to previous calls to add contacts and other reasons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LMAO, really, I am serious... I have been working on that baby since early this morning because of a PM from someone that wanted this info and thought I would put it together for all as a reference.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the quick reply! Another question (how else am I gonna learn). What does it do? I want to root so I can freeze apps with Ti backup, and install that cool cyan boot ani that FoxKat and MattyP worked so hard on.
Oh, last question...do those 2 ever sleep? :)

Go to second post in this thread...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/208787-safestrap-vs-bootstrap.html

And I really do not think either of them sleep. And Sydman also burns a lot of that midnight oil, I noticed!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Lol.. if ya don't sleep, you'll start burning oil alright ;)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
LMAO, really, I am serious... I have been working on that baby since early this morning because of a PM from someone that wanted this info and thought I would put it together for all as a reference.

Why would I joke about something like that. The post was well thought out, it's a one-stop-shop, and it's accurate. What more do we need in a stickie? :D

Lunatic

Reaction score
Hey peeps... thanks for all the knowledge and info for rooting. Yall have been awesome!!! I think i pretty much have a warm and fuzzy about rooting. Thanks Everyone!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is super Lunatic! Have fun! Any questions, you know where to ask!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Why would I joke about something like that. The post was well thought out, it's a one-stop-shop, and it's accurate. What more do we need in a stickie? :D

Thanks FoxKat, that means a lot coming from you! I didn't learn all of that by myself though... it is everything I have learned from DF forums. A special thanks to yourself, MattyP, Sydman, SallyC, 94lt1 and many many others!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
:D...

jaybogg

Reaction score
Go to second post in this thread...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/208787-safestrap-vs-bootstrap.html

And I really do not think either of them sleep. And Sydman also burns a lot of that midnight oil, I noticed!

Thx for the link, second post and those following made a lot of sense. My question:

After reading the difference, would it be prudent to install Bootstrap, keep a copy of a freshly rooted phone in the non-safe "partition" and operate from the other? (or vice versa).

If not, is it fairly simple to switch from safestrap to bootstrap some point in the future, if I get brave enough to start flashing roms?

Any advice appreciated!! BTW, Matt's utility is at 1.0 of 1.1 GB, so I am steeling my nerves to try the directions you gave. I think FoxKat is right about this possibly being sticky material!!:D

Speaking of, I think FoxKat, MattyP, and Sydman have a secret battery calibration that allows them to get more life per charge than the rest of US!!:D

jaybogg

Reaction score
WOW!!!! That was finer than froghair! Rooted and not bricked!! :icon_ banana:(give me time!!):biggrin:

@ TisMyDroid: Great write-up in Post #89 of this thread!! Only thing that didn't match was when I ran Voodoo, the last box was not checked. Will try to research this, and figure out why. BIG THANKS for the very concise instructions, was actually easier in my opinion than my first FDR yesterday.:hail::hail:

Now I see why no one likes Back-up Assistant, it keeps opening every time(3-4 times) the USB connection is opened during the rooting process of Matt's. I will probably use the utilities you recommended in the future and trash VZW's.

BIG THANKS to Matt as well!!:hail::hail:(hope you like Keystone Lite, it's all I could afford!!)

Next project? Get FoxKat and MattyP's boot-up ani's runnin'. Seems pretty safe for someone cutting their teeth to the whole root (and rootin' around) process!!:biggrin:

PS. Went with Bootstrap, figured there gotta be a way to swap it out with Safestrap if I reach the point I wanna cross that bridge.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
JayBogg, this is super! And thank you so much for the confirmation that my instructions were helpful. Sometimes when you know how to do something, trying to explain it doesn't come out so clear so it is good to know that it worked!

I am with you where I might want to change from bootstrap to safestrap eventually...maybe when there are a few more roms to try out. I am almost certain that you can switch to safestrap after having bootstrap although the process is a bit different than as easy as it was to initially root. I believe FoxKat is the one that can help us with that.

I agree, I think FoxKat, Sydman and Matty have a secret claibration they are not sharing. They would never admit it though, lol!