All eggs in one basket...

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thought it might be a good idea to get a thread together to put a few of the recent issues that have been arising in one place. I have seen some people that have been needing to use the Fastboot files to get their phone back to .211 stock ICS so I will start there.

It should be noted that rooting your phone will void your warranty with Verizon and Motorola if they find out you have done so, and as always DroidForums.net and myself are not liable for bricked phones from any of these methods. These are meant to be guides that are used at your own risk and steps should be read multiple times in their entirety before trying anything. Know what you are doing before you do it.

All credit for this write up goes to the very super FoxKat, he played the role of guinea pig with his own phone to make sure this works. If you are needing to Fastboot your phone I would highly recommend doing it this way over using the Droid Razr Utility for the job, that utility is an amazing tool but there have been a few reports of phones getting bricked. Now there is a very good chance it was not related to the utility but just in case this is a more straightforward and proven method.

For those that do not know, the Fastboot files will return your phone to a stock SYSTEM file state while leaving your user installed APPS and settings alone. It will also help you if you are stuck at the Motorola logo and can not boot your phone. You will need to boot into AP Fastboot mode, to do so power the phone off, and then press and hold the volume down and volume up at the same then press the power button. Once you get to the black screen with white writing, use the volume down to move your cursor to AP Fastboot mode and then volume up to select it.

OK, SO...

RSD Lite V5.7 (https://www.box.com/shared/nvik76p1ll45svunalr3) is the VERY SAME TOOL that Motorola Authorized dealers use to flash the ROM Systems onto phones. They use the Factory Data Programming Cable (2.5 ft Micro USB Factory Cable Fastboot mode for Motorola Xoom Droid Razr Atrix | eBay) to do it, but we can use our stock cable. It's run on a Windows XP PC.

The current Fastboot Image Version 4.0.4 (http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_spyder/VRZ_XT912_6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31_1FF.xml.zip) is the one that will take you back to STOCK .211, and I have proven it will do so even from a leaked upgrade (in this case, .215).

You need to install the Motorola Drivers (https://www.box.com/shared/8cohqit95qz8yjunedrg), then install and run RSD Lite.

Once you've done that, you'll extract the Fastboot file above to a folder on your computer, then connect the phone via USB (make sure USB Debugging is set), and then set your phone to "Media Device" (MTP). Then RSD Lite will identify your phone.

Finally, you need to click on the browse button (...) at the top of the RSD Lite program, and browse to the VRZ_XT912_6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31_1FF.xml file in the folder you extracted the Fastboot to.

Finally, click "Start" and sit back.

As he stated this will get you back to stock ICS .211 from any leak that is currently out be it .214 or .215. It should be noted that you should NOT use these files if you are on GB, even if you are using a ICS ROM you will soft brick your phone. Instructions for GB users will be noted later.

If you are currently still using the .214 leak you can download this very nice downgrade package and place it on your Ext SD card and it will take you back to stock .211 from .214 ONLY (DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE ON .215). Boot into recovery as normal when applying an update zip from your SD card, just make sure you make note of the file name if you have more than one update zip currently on your Ext SD Card.

6.16.214 Downgrade Leak (To 6.16.211) - DroidRzr.com

If you are wanting to root any version of ICS .211, .214, .215, you can use the Razr Utility v 1.8 to do so.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html

After you download the zip file make sure you extract the ENTIRE folder to the root of your C:/ drive, DO NOT just run the .bat file from double clicking into the zip file. You must right click and extract the files completely or you will get errors.

Some more things that need to be noted about this process is you need to have USB Debugging enabled, if you go to Settings>Developer Options>USB Debugging make sure that is checked. Also you need to have it allow installation of non-Market apps checked as well, go to Settings>Security>Scroll down a bit to Unknown Sources and make sure that is checked as well.

Next you HAVE to install the Motorola USB drivers that are included inside the folder of the Razr Utility that says DRIVERS[REQURIED], if you have older drivers installed on your computer under Add/Remove Programs you should remove those prior to the installation of the newer driver. Finally when you plug your phone into your computer you can choose either MTP mode or Camera mode, but DO NOT select Mass Storage Mode.

If you are currently on GB DO NOT use this 1.8 Utility to Fastboot thinking it will upgrade to ICS you will soft brick your phone. If you are currently on GB and are needing to Fastboot you can download the link below for the GB fastboot files and follow the instructions for using RSD Lite above just of course use this file instead of the one for ICS.

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_spyder/VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8_CFC_1FF_01.xml.zip

Thought it would be a good idea to link to a couple other stickies that are in other sections in case people do not already know about them.

If you are having problems with ICS it is a good idea to clear your cache completely from recovery, 94LT1 made a good write up on this and you can find that below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/217019-clearing-your-cache.html

Also if you are on stock ICS .211 and want to go to the newest leak .215, which is much more fluid and improves battery life. MattyP wrote up a great tutorial on that as well and you can find that below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html

Added for the approval of the midnight society (tag from an old Nickelodeon TV show), is the write up TismyDroid did on using the Razr Utility v 1.8 to root your Razr from .211 up to .215. Click that link and look at post #89

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a-9.html

I think this is a good start for now, I will of course update this with any recommendations from anyone on here. I have given it a once over but if there are spelling or grammar issues please let me know and I shall fix them. I can fix things, not so good with the words. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
OMG, Sydman... I can not tell you how valuable this is! This is beyond SUPER! You the MAN!

Have to add... Sydman's tagline signature, "Imagine there is something really clever here." I always loved that but just about every time I read one of sydman's posts I think, there doesn't have to be something really clever there... because he more than makes up for it in his posts!

Last edited:
OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
OMG, Sydman... I can not tell you how valuable this is! This is beyond SUPER! You the MAN!

Have to add... Sydman's tagline signature, "Imagine there is something really clever here." I always loved that but just about every time I read one of sydman's posts I think, there doesn't have to be something really clever there... because he more than makes up for it in his posts!

Thanks Tis, you always know how to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If this helps one person it was worth writing it up, made possible of course by those who made the original links I posted.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks Tis, you always know how to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If this helps one person it was worth writing it up, made possible of course by those who made the original links I posted.

Tis has that effect on people :p

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Now get me a way to side load back to 211 and I'll be thrilled lol ;) awesome write up :)

jaybogg

Reaction score

Great work Sydman!!:hail:

Speaking of Tis, she did a great write up expounding on the Droid Utility 1.8 giving step by step directions to root .211 thru .215. I used it last night and had no problems.

Post # 89, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a-9.html

BIG THANKS to all of you that devote so much time to help us noobs get up to speed!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ditto! You all have a way of making me feel warm and fuzzy inside... and smile and sometimes laugh so hard I choke on my own drink or snort (really, I hope I don't snort but it would be you all that could make it happen)!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Great work Sydman!!:hail:

Speaking of Tis, she did a great write up expounding on the Droid Utility 1.8 giving step by step directions to root .211 thru .215. I used it last night and had no problems.

Post # 89, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a-9.html

BIG THANKS to all of you that devote so much time to help us noobs get up to speed!

I know...I know... I'm working on something...give me time, but I have to see if it's not too similar to MattyP's .215 classroom! :p

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Now get me a way to side load back to 211 and I'll be thrilled lol ;) awesome write up :)

Actually a way to go back to Gingerbread and you'd be a Rock Star!!

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I know...I know... I'm working on something...give me time, but I have to see if it's not too similar to MattyP's .215 classroom! :p

I added her post at the end of mine, let me know if you get an updated one and I can change it.

OP
Sydman

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Actually a way to go back to Gingerbread and you'd be a Rock Star!!

I have not tried it but according to Matt when he released 1.7 he said you could, not sure if I want to be the first to try though.

Edit: Just double checked with Matt and he said it indeed can not be flashed, unless of course you have unlocked boot loader.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Cool!! My boot loader is... oh crap.. never mind ;) :p