[TOOLS] Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Hacks' started by mattlgroff, Jul 12, 2012.

1. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Thanks FoxKat, that means a lot coming from you! I didn't learn all of that by myself though... it is everything I have learned from DF forums. A special thanks to yourself, MattyP, Sydman, SallyC, 94lt1 and many many others!
  2. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

:D...
  3. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

Thx for the link, second post and those following made a lot of sense. My question:

After reading the difference, would it be prudent to install Bootstrap, keep a copy of a freshly rooted phone in the non-safe "partition" and operate from the other? (or vice versa).

If not, is it fairly simple to switch from safestrap to bootstrap some point in the future, if I get brave enough to start flashing roms?

Any advice appreciated!! BTW, Matt's utility is at 1.0 of 1.1 GB, so I am steeling my nerves to try the directions you gave. I think FoxKat is right about this possibly being sticky material!!:D

Speaking of, I think FoxKat, MattyP, and Sydman have a secret battery calibration that allows them to get more life per charge than the rest of US!!:D
  4. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

WOW!!!! That was finer than froghair! Rooted and not bricked!! :icon_ banana:(give me time!!):biggrin:

@ TisMyDroid: Great write-up in Post #89 of this thread!! Only thing that didn't match was when I ran Voodoo, the last box was not checked. Will try to research this, and figure out why. BIG THANKS for the very concise instructions, was actually easier in my opinion than my first FDR yesterday.:hail::hail:

Now I see why no one likes Back-up Assistant, it keeps opening every time(3-4 times) the USB connection is opened during the rooting process of Matt's. I will probably use the utilities you recommended in the future and trash VZW's.

BIG THANKS to Matt as well!!:hail::hail:(hope you like Keystone Lite, it's all I could afford!!)

Next project? Get FoxKat and MattyP's boot-up ani's runnin'. Seems pretty safe for someone cutting their teeth to the whole root (and rootin' around) process!!:biggrin:

PS. Went with Bootstrap, figured there gotta be a way to swap it out with Safestrap if I reach the point I wanna cross that bridge.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  5. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

JayBogg, this is super! And thank you so much for the confirmation that my instructions were helpful. Sometimes when you know how to do something, trying to explain it doesn't come out so clear so it is good to know that it worked!

I am with you where I might want to change from bootstrap to safestrap eventually...maybe when there are a few more roms to try out. I am almost certain that you can switch to safestrap after having bootstrap although the process is a bit different than as easy as it was to initially root. I believe FoxKat is the one that can help us with that.

I agree, I think FoxKat, Sydman and Matty have a secret claibration they are not sharing. They would never admit it though, lol!
  6. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

@ TisMyDroid: Only thing that didn't match was when I ran Voodoo, the last box was not checked. Will try to research this, and figure out why.

Figured out why: When your writing "Rooting for Dummies", ya gotta remember we're dummies!! Pressed the "protect root" button" below the last box, and the 5th check mark magically appeared!!:biggrin: Hooda thunkit?
  7. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Jaybogg, I bet I missed that part too when I did it. You would have thought though, that if I missed that part I would have remembered to put it in there. So now you are going to have to help me out. Where exactly does that step fall. Should I put it right after "open Voodoo Root Keeper?" I will edit the instructions to include that.

And you aren't dummies!
  8. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

Last bulleted step in post #89: Reads: On your phone, open Voodoo Root Keeper. Check to make sure you are rooted (if all the boxes are checked in Voodoo Root Keeper you are officially rooted).

Suggested: On your phone, open Voodoo Root Keeper. Check to make sure you are rooted. First 4 boxes are checked. Press "Protect Root" Button. If all the boxes are checked, you are officially rooted.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  9. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Thank you jaybogg! It is done! You're the Bomb!!!:icon_ banana::p
  10. fldino

fldino New Member

Droid Razr Maxx Root

thinking about rooting my Razr Maxx,will droidrazrutility1.8.1 work on stock razr maxx 6.16.211
  11. brad582

brad582 New Member

i used this utility to root my droid razr maxx and then i tried to put a rom on my phone. i think i did something very wrong because i believe my phone is bricked and its dead and wont charge :( is over for my phone or is there a way i can fix it???
  12. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Brad, the first thing you need to do is get the phone charged using the charger that came with the phone via a wall outlet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  13. jaybogg

jaybogg Member

According to Matt(OP), yes it will. See Post #7, same question.:biggrin:
  14. fldino

fldino New Member

Thanks for the help everyone
  15. brad582

brad582 New Member

now im just stuck on the "AP fastboot flash mode (S) (Boot Failure)"
  16. Vicious1

Vicious1 New Member

Well, gonna root tomorrow I think, but couple questions.

1 - does the rooting process require a factory reset, or is it just recommended before rooting? If I root without fdr, will my stuff still be there?

2 - with voodoo rootkeeper, if there is an ota, say to jelly bean, is it just a simple step to update, or does it require you to unroot, update, reboot, and another fdr, or does all your stuff stay?

Thanks in advance. You guys are awesome!
  17. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

1-It is highly recommended to do an fdr, but not required. I would say, not necessary but it actually may be necessary depending on what might be set up on your phone. It is just the best way to ensure that you will have no conflicts or problems. If you do not do an fdr, all your stuff will still be there. Read post #89 of this thread for helpful ideas on doing an fdr and saving the stuff you want.
    2-yes, with voodoo root keeper you can easily unroot to get your upgrade, then easily go back to root (although "easily" is a relative term. What I think is easy another might not). Most all, if not all, updates require you to reboot. Again fdr will be optional but is always recommended for major updates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  18. bukow1cm

bukow1cm New Member

Thoughts

ok so i have downloaded casual beta and the program doesnt recognize that it is connected to my phone from my MAC. thoughts?
  19. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I would try using a Windows based machine since that program is using a .bat file to call DOS (Windows) commands to have your phone do certain things. Unless you have have a VM or Bootcamp of Linux, or want to run a terminal emulator and try the commands manually.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  20. Abstraktion

Abstraktion New Member

So i used your utility and chose option 1 (coming from gingerbread). My phone is now pretty messed up. When I boot, I get the dualcore motorola symbol and then it shows an android laying down with his chest open and an error logo. What should I do? I can still boot up into AP fastboot. I have tried doing option 1 again and even tried doing option 7. Please advise!
Search tags for this page
1.8 utility

droid razr utility

droid razr utility 1.8

droid razr utility 1.8 download
droid razr utility 1.81
droid razr utility 1.81 windows
droid razr utility 1.82
droid razr utility 1.82 download
droidrazrutility
mattlgroff
razr utility