[TOOLS] Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually Caraujo, I do not notice much difference. I fdr-ed and wiped three times to make sure it was a clean slate and I am now in the process of waiting for my phone to discharge enough so I can charge it once more to 100% with phone off, so maybe battery life will be better but so far doesn't seem so. Sometimes I actually think my phone seems a bit more laggy but give me a day or two. I do have a lot going on and a lot of apps and do not limit much because of the power of this phone. I think I might have some cleaning up to do... ger rid of things I don't really need. But all in all, I have not noticed much of a difference. Oh, I should add that I had absolutely no problems with my phone on GB or .211 ICS so hard to know how much m phone can improve when i didn't have anyproblems to begin with.

Caraujo11

Reaction score
Yea I don't have any issues with the phone as is but I rooted my x2 mainly for the free wifi hot spot and just want to do the same for my maxx. If I can get some better performance out of the phone, that would be an added bonus.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Same here... and I wanted to freeze the Backup Assistant crap that kept working in the background on my phone even though I have never used the service and never will. So rooting and .215 is definitely serving its purpose!

x25064

Reaction score
Well..

This just definitely bricked my phone.

Did option 1 to get a fresh install of ICS, and it says "failed unknown error" on everything from writing the system onward. Now I am stuck at the fastboot screen with no operating system.... Not pleased. No information on here or google about this particular issue. Phone was stock and rooted....

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well..

This just definitely bricked my phone.

Did option 1 to get a fresh install of ICS, and it says "failed unknown error" on everything from writing the system onward. Now I am stuck at the fastboot screen with no operating system.... Not pleased. No information on here or google about this particular issue. Phone was stock and rooted....

Disregard this, didn't see you opened a new thread. Will respond there.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
no way im reading through all of this. can someone confirm for me that i can use this utlility to root .215 it says .211 and .214 would i treat as if it were still .211
thanks in advance for any input

Yes this will root .215.

Caraujo11

Reaction score
I'm finally going to root my maxx tonight. Do I need to install the motorolla drivers first or does the utility do that automatically?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'm finally going to root my maxx tonight. Do I need to install the motorolla drivers first or does the utility do that automatically?

Drivers first, nothing is automatic when it comes to working with Windows.

Caraujo11

Reaction score
Got it! Rooted,voodooed,bootstrapped upgraded to.215 and hot spot activated. Woohooo!! Thanks everyone for all the help. Now even though I'm using the default hot spot, I won't be charged? Also, I'm going to Turks and Caicos next week and would like to use the hotspot for my iPad,will I still get charged data?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Got it! Rooted,voodooed,bootstrapped upgraded to.215 and hot spot activated. Woohooo!! Thanks everyone for all the help. Now even though I'm using the default hot spot, I won't be charged? Also, I'm going to Turks and Caicos next week and would like to use the hotspot for my iPad,will I still get charged data?

Well your phone is going to be using data to keep the hotspot active, so you are going to need an international data plan. They still see you are using data but they don't know it is for the hotspot.

Lunatic

Reaction score
Im a total newb to rooting. I was wondering if the droidrazrutility contains everything i would need to root my razr. is there any other apps or tips that i need or yall recommend having. Ive read about all of the threads on here about rooting. Just want to make sure i have all i need before trying this. Thanks

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sorry for the wait Lunatic! The following would apply to anyone that is stock ICS .211 or stock ICS .215.

1). For anyone new to rooting, the first thing I would suggest is read, read, read (as Lunatic mentioned). Completely understand what you are doing before you do it.

2). Backup the information: call logs, bookmarks, data, apps, pics, etc that you want to make sure you retain: Here are my suggestions I posted before but it is not the only way to accomplish this task.
*I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore.
*I backup pretty much everything except texts with MyBackup(use the SMS B&R for that) and photos, media & music because I keep those on my ext-sd card.
*I also go into individual apps and use their backup if they have one. I actually keep a list of all my apps where it has this feature.
*I backup my texts using SMS Backup & Restore (it gives you many more options for backing up your texts than MyBackup does).
*After I do the fdr, I first go into play store and make sure it is not automatically installing all my apps and stop if it is... cuz I want to do those one at a time. Usually I discover there are apps I do not use or want anymore this way.
*Then I go into SMS B& R and restore my texts.
*Then I install my apps, one at a time and open the ones I use most or that have their own backup & restore feature... I check to see if they are still the way I had them. Some are, some aren't. Then I go to the app's setting and restore for the ones that have that feature.
*I make sure my emails are set up. I use Enhanced Email, so all I have to do is restore them. Not sure what other email programs have this feature.
*Then as I use my phone and use my various apps, I either reset them up fresh or I will use MyBackup to restore their previous settings.
*I probably missed a few steps that I typically do because it is fairly automatic for me but that is close.

3). It is best to do a Factory Data Reset. You ensure a fresh clean device by doing this and limit the risk of any conflicts between old stuff and new stuff. I recommend doing it from the recovery menu but it can also be done through settings --> privacy.

4). When you are ready, have read everything you can possibly read and understand the risks, then you can root your phone. Thanks to Matt L Groff's and MattyP's help and instructions, these are the steps I followed to root my RAZR Stock ICS .215:.
  • On your pc, download Matt L Groff's Droid Razr Utility. It can be found at:
  • -most recent
​-www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/4654-droid-razr-utility-182-windows-for-verizon-droid-razr-and-droid-razr-maxx-only
-http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/216562-droid-razr-utility-1-8-a.html or
-http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/3399-droid-razr-utility-181-windows-for-verizon-droid-razrmaxx-only

• Once downloaded, you will need to extract it to a folder on your PC.
  • Open the folder you extracted this file to. Install the latest Motorola drivers to your pc.
  • Make sure your phone is at least 80% battery before you begin.
  • Check to make sure your phone is in USB debugging mode (system settings --->Developer options---> USB debugging checked)
  • Plug your phone into your computer usb using the usb cable that came with the phone.
  • From your phone's status bar drop down, open the notification with the usb symbol and choose to connect as a media device (NOT as Mass Storage).
  • On your pc, in the folder you extracted the file to; find the "DroidRazrUtility.bat"file. Run that and choose option #2.Your phone will reboot itself twice during this process. When this is complete, follow the instructions in this utility window to get back to the Utility's main menu.
  • From this utility, install bootstrap or safestrap BUT DO NOT INSTALL BOTH. If you plan to install a rom, install safestrap. Your phone will not reboot for this step.
  • Go back to the Utility's main menu and Install Voodoo Root Keeper. No reboots for that either.
  • On your phone, open Voodoo Root Keeper. Check to make sure you are rooted (first four boxes are checked then press "Protect Root"). When all the boxes are checked in Voodoo Root Keeper you are officially rooted!
5). Once rooted, do not do anything to your phone's internal system unless and until you know exactly what you are doing. Feel free to use your phone as you normally would. Be aware that now that you are rooted, you have access to the root directory of your phone... the directory that has the necessary files that make your phone operate properly. Changing these files, can make your phone so it is no longer a phone (hence a "brick").

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Damn, you don't wait to grandstand, do you? :D

This might be your first stickie! :thumbup:

You might want to add Phone Logs Backup & Restore From the same Dev, Ritesh Sahu, to your routine. I like to be able to refer back to previous calls to add contacts and other reasons.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: