Droid Razr Maxx HD waiting lounge.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The HD also supports S GPS. Which means if you have a maps app that doesn't require network signal you can still track your route. S GPS doesn't require any cellular or wifi assistance to know where the sats are. The Bionic had this then it was removed in the RAZR line now added back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

S-GPS isn't the ability to find satellites and use GPS without a data connection. Every standalone GPS chip can do that (it's how the technology was designed to work by the military and how Garmins and Tom-Toms have operated for years). S-GPS (Simultaneous GPS) is the ability to receive both GPS and cellular signals at the same time. For most devices that aren't S-GPS capable, the cellular reception and GPS reception alternate back and forth, with both not actually running at the same time because they share the same RF radio. With S-GPS, they can both run at the same time, allowing the phone to pull data from the cellular network as well as from the GPS signal in order to get faster and more accurate GPS locks. It's similar to A-GPS, except faster and more accurate.

But regardless of whether one has a device that is S-GPS capable or just A-GPS capable, the standalone GPS will still function and track your route without a data connection if you have an app with offline maps. S-GPS will just help you get a faster, and more accurate GPS lock when you have a cellular data connection. In and of itself, S-GPS capabilities don't help to establish a lock any faster than A-GPS capabilities when there is no network connection.

xmguy

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
S-GPS isn't the ability to find satellites and use GPS without a data connection. Every standalone GPS chip can do that (it's how the technology was designed to work by the military and how Garmins and Tom-Toms have operated for years). S-GPS (Simultaneous GPS) is the ability to receive both GPS and cellular signals at the same time. For most devices that aren't S-GPS capable, the cellular reception and GPS reception alternate back and forth, with both not actually running at the same time because they share the same RF radio. With S-GPS, they can both run at the same time, allowing the phone to pull data from the cellular network as well as from the GPS signal in order to get faster and more accurate GPS locks. It's similar to A-GPS, except faster and more accurate.

But regardless of whether one has a device that is S-GPS capable or just A-GPS capable, the standalone GPS will still function and track your route without a data connection if you have an app with offline maps. S-GPS will just help you get a faster, and more accurate GPS lock when you have a cellular data connection. In and of itself, S-GPS capabilities don't help to establish a lock any faster than A-GPS capabilities when there is no network connection.

I stand corrected. Thank you for explaining.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks bsweetness. That totally makes sense...and once again, I learned something new. Cool!

Sumanji

Reaction score
Hey,

Verizon-noob here. Sorry if I'm missing something, but can I just walk into a Verizon store with $600, buy this device only, and then walk out with it? Or do I need to take some sort of plan also?!

Cheers,

Su

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey,

Verizon-noob here. Sorry if I'm missing something, but can I just walk into a Verizon store with $600, buy this device only, and then walk out with it? Or do I need to take some sort of plan also?!

Cheers,

Su

You should be able to buy the device with out a plan.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Sumanji said:
Hey,

Cheers,

Su

It take slightly more than 600, they're $649 plus tax. And yes you can.

MrHug3

Reaction score
Hey,

Cheers,

Su

That is exactly what I did approx 5hrs ago.

Sumanji

Reaction score
Ah ok thank God - I was just playing around on the website, and it's like $80/month for a 300MB data plan??!

I pay £12.50 (~$20) a month for 300 mins / unltd. texts / 3GB data on T-Mobile 3G.

American cell phone costs are ridiculous!!!

[edit] Also, don't get me started on how your sales tax is "ninja-added" at the checkout :p

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Sumanji said:
Ah ok thank God - I was just playing around on the website, and it's like $80/month for a 300MB data plan??!

I pay £12.50 (~$20) a month for 300 mins / unltd. texts / 3GB data on T-Mobile 3G.

American cell phone costs are ridiculous!!!

[edit] Also, don't get me started on how your sales tax is "ninja-added" at the checkout :p

If I'm not mistaken 300 mb plans are only for feature phones, smart phones I believe the minimum is 2 gigs, that equates to 110 a month whether you paid cash for your phone or have it subsidized through verizon. Yes we pay more for our phones than anywhere else here on mother earth.

Sumanji

Reaction score
that equates to 110 a month whether you paid cash for your phone or have it subsidized through verizon. Yes we pay more for our phones than anywhere else here on mother earth.

Whaaaaaat??!

:blink:

Please tell me at least that the network is flawless and the data speeds are brilliant?!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Whaaaaaat??!

Please tell me at least that the network is flawless and the data speeds are brilliant?!

The only place I've been where my phone doesn't work is 5 miles out in the gulf of mexico

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Sumanji said:
Whaaaaaat??!

Please tell me at least that the network is flawless and the speeds are brilliant?!

I have basic wifi at the house, usually my 3g speeds are slightly faster. My 4g?, happy to get 4mbs d/l. I'm in a very congested cell area. I can drive 10 miles down the road and have 12-15mbs speeds. As far as phone, second to none. The only problem I encounter is when they erect portable towers down the street for the races.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
drew96dawg said:
The only place I've been where my phone doesn't work is 5 miles out in the gulf of mexico

Who would golf in Mexico? Lol.

Sumanji

Reaction score
Who would golf in Mexico? Lol.

If you mean "who would go to the Gulf of Mexico", I can think of one person...

125gaiq.jpg

:p

Just did a quick check of your three main networks. Seems Sprint is the cheapest? I assume their network is a bit crappy though...

drew96dawg

Reaction score
If you mean "who would go to the Gulf of Mexico", I can think of one person...

125gaiq.jpg

:p

Just did a quick check of your three main networks. Seems Sprint is the cheapest? I assume their network is a bit crappy though...

You assumed correctly :)