Driod or wait for Nexus One ??

dak70

Reaction score
With the announcment that the Nexus One will be on VZW in Spring 2010, why would anyone buy the Droid now?
The clown at the VZ store wouldn't let me upgrade to the Droid 2 months early so it looks like I was saved from wasting my NE2 on the Driod.
Aside from the keyboard, what reason would there be to go with a Droid at this point.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
They are two different phone and some will line the N1 and some will like the Droid. I for one am not concerned with the N1 as I prefer the physical keypad and size of the screen the Droid offers. Specs aren't everything.

get quad

Reaction score
110% must have a physical keyboard. Now that I'm used to it I appreciate the Droid's physical keyboard as it can't get clogged up with gunk or be afffected by moisture as much as with most other smartphones with individual keys (I've drowned a Palm Treo with my own sweat inside a pocket). I've also thought the whole trackball thing was a great collector of finger oil and dirt and thus a poor nav method, so no Blackberries in my past other than the ones I support at work.

Anyhow, I've had more than one person note that the Droid is like having a mini-laptop in the palm of your hand while the keyboard is extended. With all the requisite office/corp/apps installed I can't disagree much. Love the Moto Droid, can't wait to see the Droid2 or whatever comes out most comparable to the Droid form factor.

snowman

Reaction score
look at price on nex. their nuts $529.00 to pick carrier, or go t-mobil for 179.00
t-mobil is not an option in Va. or on a lot of the east coast

Xris

Reaction score
look at price on nex. their nuts $529.00 to pick carrier, or go t-mobil for 179.00
t-mobil is not an option in Va. or on a lot of the east coast

Actually, Verizon will be subsidizing it as well.

wil318466

Reaction score
With the announcment that the Nexus One will be on VZW in Spring 2010, why would anyone buy the Droid now?
The clown at the VZ store wouldn't let me upgrade to the Droid 2 months early so it looks like I was saved from wasting my NE2 on the Driod.
Aside from the keyboard, what reason would there be to go with a Droid at this point.

Well, you could flip the question and say "Why would anyone buy a Nexus later"?

in other words, what, specifically, would make you buy a Nexus over a Droid? They are the same phone in my opinion, except for the keyboard. If you like a curvy, lighter phone, get the Nexus. If you like an angular, heavier, solid phone, get the Droid.

The differences are minor. Just a preference. I don't see there being any real difference in the experience. Its the same OS. Its like saying Why would you buy a Gateway when you can buy a Dell? But if they both run windows xp..... well, who cares?

Its just preferences.

-Wil

Edmvr6

Reaction score

in other words, what, specifically, would make you buy a Nexus over a Droid? They are the same phone in my opinion, except for the keyboard. If you like a curvy, lighter phone, get the Nexus. If you like an angular, heavier, solid phone, get the Droid.

The differences are minor. Just a preference. I don't see there being any real difference in the experience. Its the same OS. Its like saying Why would you buy a Gateway when you can buy a Dell? But if they both run windows xp..... well, who cares?

Its just preferences.

-Wil

I totally agree with you.. I think im gonna have actually see the Nexus 1 before I can make a decision, but I love my droid, and I think its not going anywhere anytime soon

cuskit

Reaction score

Its just preferences.

-Wil
I've just been reading here Nexus OneReview - Home - NexusOneBlog
and it appears there is more to it than just the keyboard. I'm not up on Snapdragon - but the article states the N1 is considerably faster than the droid because of this (paired with the Qualcomm processor). Anyone here familiar with Snapdragon and can expand on this? And why if they are on using the same system one would be so much quicker than the other?

I like my Droid. No way I'd pay full price to switch now as I just got the Droid 11/22.

cuskit

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Its just preferences.

-Wil
I've just been reading here Nexus OneReview - Home - NexusOneBlog
and it appears there is more to it than just the keyboard. I'm not up on Snapdragon - but the article states the N1 is considerably faster than the droid because of this (paired with the Qualcomm processor). Anyone here familiar with Snapdragon and can expand on this? And why if they are on using the same system one would be so much quicker than the other?

I like my Droid. No way I'd pay full price to switch now as I just got the Droid 11/22.

cuskit
From what I've read the increase in speed is only marginal and a lot of the speed increase might have a lot to do with the optimization in 2.1. A lot of reviewers are already comparing N1 with the Droid which isn't really fair since the Droid is still only on 2.0.1 firmware. Once we get a Droid Optimized 2.1 firmware that makes us of the Droid GPU (for rendering) we'll see that the speed really isn't that much different.

Droidette

Reaction score
Physical keyboard and the solid feel and heft make it for me. There are times when I'm riding in a car and trying to enter text - I give up on the virtual keyboard when my finger's bouncing and sliding all over the letters - so the physical keyboard is a great alternative. Besides, the speed and response is still impressive as is, even if the N1 turns out to be faster. Weigh what your needs and preferences are and the choice will be easy! Then go with it and enjoy!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Its just preferences.

-Wil

The differences aren't exactly minor. The nexus has better hardware in most of the categories that matter, such as the processor, ram, and screen. The same things that make the droid a more advanced phone than the eris make the nexus a more advanced phone than the droid.

To the op...you joined a droid forum just to say that? Go away.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score

Its just preferences.

-Wil

The differences aren't exactly minor. The nexus has better hardware in most of the categories that matter, such as the processor, ram, and screen. The same things that make the droid a more advanced phone than the eris make the nexus a more advanced phone than the droid.

I Think wil was talking more about performance. Yes the Hardware is "technically better" on paper, but when it comes to performance a lot of people have have said the processor doesn't offer that much of a performance boost. Ram can't argue with that one. Their have alos been some negatives about the OLED screen.

And in defense of the OP, He/she is just asking what other's opinions are as they are considering upgrading their LG Dare. IMO if you really can't wait any longer then I think you should get the Droid. Even Google thinks so as they divert to it on their Phone Store page since the N1 isn't available yet on Verizon. But if you're really considering choosing the N1 you should probably wait until it comes out to do a really good comparison.

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Its just preferences.

-Wil

Its just preferences.

-Wil

I Think wil was talking more about performance. Yes the Hardware is "technically better" on paper, but when it comes to performance a lot of people have have said the processor doesn't offer that much of a performance boost.

It also has twice the amount of ram that the droid has though. The combination of a faster processor and twice the ram will surely bring better performance. I'm happy with the droid so I can accept that.

cb2000a

Reaction score

Its just preferences.

-Wil

I Think wil was talking more about performance. Yes the Hardware is "technically better" on paper, but when it comes to performance a lot of people have have said the processor doesn't offer that much of a performance boost.

It also has twice the amount of ram that the droid has though. The combination of a faster processor and twice the ram will surely bring better performance. I'm happy with the droid so I can accept that.

Well seeing that most of the software has not even begin to tap the performance of the Droid it doesn't really matter. When it comes to Arm cpu's with a gpu in the chipset don't just go by who has the higher cpu speed. From what I have read the N1 is not that much faster than the Droid when both are running 2.1.

wil318466

Reaction score
From what I've read there isn't a big difference. I dunno. I'm not that big into the tech/specs. I know the Droid screen has more pixels but the Nexus has a better processor, but in the end the performance will be very very similiar. I think they are more similiar than the difference between the Droid and the Eris, as someone mentioned above.

Am I incorrect? Can someone with more knowledge of these kinds of things elaborate?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying the "better" device, but from what I read the experience will probably be the same or very close. Not worth me trading in. (If it IS worth trading in, well, then I probably will!)

-Wil