Droid now $49 @ Amazon w/ Free Shipping

soyboy

Reaction score
My wife wanted to upgrade her Treo to a Droid like I did last fall. So I check VZ, since we can't use the BOGOF deal, the phone would have cost $200. Of course, even with the BOGOF deal, the phone still would have cost $100 at VZ. Then I saw the $49 deal with free shipping on Amazon and jumped on that last night. It's sweet saving $150 bucks, plus with my corporate discount the saving will cover 6 months of the data fee! Now she can't wait to get the phone on Weds. I also was happy not to have to visit the VZ store, they always seem so crowded and nuts.

D2VW14_20

Reaction score
Yea, they are doing these at wirefly too. Super good deal, I just dont like having 2 contracts ....

Bsnarles

Reaction score
How does Amazon work?

I have a simple question about buying the Moto Droid from Amazon. So if I am available for an upgrade here in the next couple of weeks, and I am on a family plan. Can I purchase the Droid from Amazon while staying on the family plan? When I clicked to buy it from Amazon, it told me to pick a plan. Does this mean I will have to start my own contract if I go this route?

D2VW14_20

Reaction score
Any of those plans you have to buy a plan I believe. There are a few sites that allow upgrades, but most Ive seen are new activations.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can I purchase the Droid from Amazon while staying on the family plan? When I clicked to buy it from Amazon, it told me to pick a plan. Does this mean I will have to start my own contract if I go this route?
Try going to Amazonwireless.com. There are upgrade options on that site. Read and make sure you fully understand the fine print, as with any reseller.

Bsnarles

Reaction score
I figured it out. I was confused because the sites have different options.
On Amazon.com, you can get the discount but only if you start a new plan with verizon.
On Amazonwireless.com, they allow you to upgrade an existing line from a family plan. you just have to click the correct services options so they dont change your current plan.

Thank you for the help.

banderbe

Reaction score
Wrong. You can upgrade your phone and keep your existing plan with Verizon.

The catch is that you have to be within 2 months of the end of your current contract.

I called Amazon Wireless and spoke to a guy who answered all my questions.

Bsnarles

Reaction score
I found this right before checkout at amazonwireless.com, so it is up to the carriers to decide?

Upgrade Eligibility
Before we process your upgrade order, we'll work with your current wireless carrier to ensure your line of service is eligible for an upgrade. In determining upgrade eligibility, carriers generally require that a line of service is in an upgrade-eligible window in your existing contract (typically 22 months into a 24-month contract) and in good financial standing.

banderbe

Reaction score
I found this right before checkout at amazonwireless.com, so it is up to the carriers to decide?

Upgrade Eligibility
Before we process your upgrade order, we'll work with your current wireless carrier to ensure your line of service is eligible for an upgrade. In determining upgrade eligibility, carriers generally require that a line of service is in an upgrade-eligible window in your existing contract (typically 22 months into a 24-month contract) and in good financial standing.

Yes.. I placed an order and got an email almost instantly saying Verizon declined the upgrade.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it a new phone?

Not sure but I wouldn't bank on it. Moto and VZW need an outlet for the tons of returned phones from the first few months so this is probably their way of thinning the stock of the refurbs. Amazon is notorious for using refurbs on cell phones and other electronics. Remember the basic rule of thumb "if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is".

But still, even a refurb will be covered with the full 1yr warranty so there's no reason not to get one. Good chance that should you need to swap it out you might get a new one anyway.

Bsnarles

Reaction score
Lame, but thanks for the info. I looked around on their site a bit and it is interesting. They dont mention the word "new" or "refurbished" anywhere so it makes sense that the phone could easily be a refurbished model. I also dont see the 1 year warranty anywhere. Is this standard on the motorola droid?