Should I wait for the Nexus One

theproman23

Reaction score
I am a proud new owner of a Motorola Droid. I've had the phone for less than a week and I love the damn thing. I left behind the Blackberry Storm so you can understand my excitement and relief.

It's amazing the difference between the two phones and I am very happy about making the transition.

I started reading more and more about the Nexus one coming to Verizon in about a month and can't help but rethinking my decision I've made buying the Motorola Droid. From what I am gathering from the various articles and reviews I've read the Nexus one seems to have double the processing speed and memory and an improved interface. Yes, the other big one is Android 2.1 but again us Droid owner's will have very very soon, hopefully.

So, here is my question I have about 25 days or so before my first 30 days runs out where I can return the Droid. Should I do so and wait for the Nexus One????
It doesn't really make too much of a difference to me that I'll lose the physical keyboard. I also like the rounded shape of the Nexus One.

M

Matth3w

Up to you, really.

There is NOTHING that says it is coming in a month. It says it is coming in SPRING of 2010. And even, I might mention that they said 2.1 was coming to the Droid last week, and it didn't either.

So take it for what it's worth.

nkcavs23

Reaction score
well there are still bugs to be worked out on the nexus. its useable without a doubt, though i came from an iphone and i installed swype on my droid. i find myself using the keyboard more than the screen. id stick with the droid.

source: an unbiased decision from a kid who has gone through more phones than you

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nexus isn't coming to VZW in a month. If that's your deciding factor then stick with the Droid.
If the Nexus is what you want be prepared to wait a lil. :)

droidkm

Reaction score
From my perspective i like the look of the droid and the keyboard. Neither are critical to me though, but id probably choose droid over n1 had I to choose over. But, I am also willing to root to bring my processor up to n1 speeds, are you? For you, it seems like a smart idea to at least check an n1 out and see how you like it, then weigh the waiting aspect which could be months.

Hester_prynne

Reaction score
I just switched to a droid from a blackberry storm yesterday. I was in the same boat as you. I searched around on multiple droid and N1 forums to help me decide if i wanted to spring for the Droid now or wait for the N1 to come to verizon.

My main deciding factor was the keyboard on the droid. I like to have a physical keyboard "just in case". Along with the bugs the N1 still seems have and all the ROMS, apps, ect. that you can get for the droid. Plus i could not find a definite date for when the N1 was coming to verizon.

I am VERY happy i went with the Droid.

-my .02-

Maverick0984

Reaction score
well there are still bugs to be worked out on the nexus. its useable without a doubt, though i came from an iphone and i installed swype on my droid. i find myself using the keyboard more than the screen. id stick with the droid.

source: an unbiased decision from a kid who has gone through more phones than you

How is that *not* biased and arrogant sounding? haha

It is your current phone so you are biased, and who are you to say how many phones he's had?

I dunno, this statement bothered me.

In any case, back on topic. The N1 has a higher clocked CPU, but that doesn't necessarily translate to faster speeds all the time. They are completely different architectures. Think a 3.0Ghz P4 vs a 2.0 Ghz C2D. Which would you choose? Obviously the C2D, raw Ghz doesn't necessary equal faster in all cases. There are other performance situations where the Droid outshines the N1, even at stock speeds.

That being said, other main differences are obviously the keyboard situation and the type of screen. The Droid has a marginally higher screen resolution which most would deem minor, but it still is bigger. The Droid screen is capacitive while the N1 screen is AMOLED which most see as the next big thing. In addition to that, I personally couldn't live w/o the hardware keyboard on the Droid. Having a hardware keyboard will always be better for games, and I find it easier to type with, but that much is personal opinion.

The N1 will probably get updates sooner and further down it's life IMHO though. Just a hunch, no real reason to think this.

So take it for what it is worth, both are excellent phones.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same dilema. I have had my Droid for a couple of weeks now, and it's outstanding in almost every way. In reading the forums, the N1 has some real issues right now (hardware, support, etc.). I'm certain they will get it worked out, but I also think that Verizon will wait until they get worked out, since they will be on the hook for product problems if they sell it. This may likely delay the VZW release later than "spring 2010" (whenever that is) as advertized now. I just felt that I'd rather get an excellent android phone now instead of waiting who knows how long to get the bugs worked out of the N1. A Droid in the hand is better than an N1 on the wish list. If the N1 ends up being significantly better, I'll just get one next year.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would not trade my Droid for any any android phone including the Nexus. I love it and like the keyboard and everything else about it.