Does the lack of Hands Free operation bother anyone?

Silver Member
Reaction score
in-car BT with directory and dialing assistance ftw. the only time i ever need/use BT is in the car.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I solved this issue by ordering the Blue Ant Q1. 45 bucks on ebay. I'm not thrilled that I had to spend $45.00 for this but it is different technology so that does at least make it interesting.

MickeyG

Reaction score
Well, I think I solved this issue by ordering the Blue Ant Q1. 45 bucks on ebay. I'm not thrilled that I had to spend $45.00 for this but it is different technology so that does at least make it interesting.
Contemplating that option myself. Have to say I was a little concerned about the too-good-to-be-true eBay pricing though.

Hookbill, can you please post a review once you receive the item?

Hate to buy a new headset. I absolutely love my Plantronics 510. It's a little bulky, but it's the only device I've found that doesn't give me a headache from wearing it for prolonged periods.

calpilot7

Reaction score

A lot of counterfeit Blue Ants on ebay. Buyer beware. Could also be used, refurbed or returned. Wouldn't want to use someone else's headset... YUK!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Contemplating that option myself. Have to say I was a little concerned about the too-good-to-be-true eBay pricing though.

Hookbill, can you please post a review once you receive the item?

Hate to buy a new headset. I absolutely love my Plantronics 510. It's a little bulky, but it's the only device I've found that doesn't give me a headache from wearing it for prolonged periods.

Certainly. I was a little concerned too but if you notice it's not advertised as new. As it's explained to me that's because it doesn't come in the packaging but rather in bulk form.

My wife does a lot of ebay and she said this made sense. We shall see, the seller had an excellent track record and that's the first thing I look for. It's hard to beat 99.5% approval. He had about 5000 feedback.

johnk

Reaction score
Why Blue Ant Q1 helps?

I have been studying this thread and wanted to clear something up (in my head anyway)<g>

Does the Blue Ant Q1 solve the problem with the droid or does it solve something with the Droid when using the Voice App discussed earlier?

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have been studying this thread and wanted to clear something up (in my head anyway)<g>

Does the Blue Ant Q1 solve the problem with the droid or does it solve something with the Droid when using the Voice App discussed earlier?

Thanks

My research indicates that the Blue Ant Q1 or V1 solves this issue. I'll explain why.

The technology of the Blue Ant is such so that it actually has the capacity to speak to you, not the phone. Therefore when you press the button and hear "Say a command" it's the headset talking. It then finds the contact on your list and the phone calls it.

What you may have confused it with was the alternative solution which is an app that you can purchase in the market. In any case I'll get back with everyone once I receive mine which may be as early as the 16th.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
My research indicates that the Blue Ant Q1 or V1 solves this issue. I'll explain why.

The technology of the Blue Ant is such so that it actually has the capacity to speak to you, not the phone. Therefore when you press the button and hear "Say a command" it's the headset talking. It then finds the contact on your list and the phone calls it.

What you may have confused it with was the alternative solution which is an app that you can purchase in the market. In any case I'll get back with everyone once I receive mine which may be as early as the 16th.

That is not correct. The BlueAnt Q1 will voice call the built in speed dials(8) of the BlueAnt, NOT from the Droid Contacts list.

You still need the combo of Voice Dialer HF (and optionally Button Shortcut) and it requires a single button press (on screen or camera button if remapped) to start the Voice Dialing of the contacts in the Droid. Once that is initiated you can hear the prompts in the BlueAnt and from then on you can use Voice Dialer HF to call contacts or open apps in the Droid. Until Motorola or Google fix the missing BT stack, the microphone for Voice dialing is still done with the Droid's mic and you cannot initiate the Droid's internal Voice dialing without at least 1 button press. When(if) this is fixed you will be able to initiate Voice dialing of the Droid with a button press on the BT headset as is commonly known on other phones as "Handsfree".

Confused yet??? :)

johnk

Reaction score
That is not correct. The BlueAnt Q1 will voice call the built in speed dials(8) of the BlueAnt, NOT from the Droid Contacts list.

You still need the combo of Voice Dialer HF (and optionally Button Shortcut) and it requires a single button press (on screen or camera button if remapped) to start the Voice Dialing of the contacts in the Droid. Once that is initiated you can hear the prompts in the BlueAnt and from then on you can use Voice Dialer HF to call contacts or open apps in the Droid. Until Motorola or Google fix the missing BT stack, the microphone for Voice dialing is still done with the Droid's mic and you cannot initiate the Droid's internal Voice dialing without at least 1 button press. When(if) this is fixed you will be able to initiate Voice dialing of the Droid with a button press on the BT headset as is commonly known on other phones as "Handsfree".

Yes <g>.
What do you think the odds are that this can be fixed with a "patch" (Droid's lack of BT voice dialing)? I can put up with it for a while but I don't want to be required to get a new phone to get the feature.

John

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Yes <g>.
What do you think the odds are that this can be fixed with a "patch" (Droid's lack of BT voice dialing)? I can put up with it for a while but I don't want to be required to get a new phone to get the feature.

John

It better be and hopefully will be on the next update (2.1?). BTW, this is not a "Droid" only problem, it is an "Android" problem. The Eris and others are in the same boat.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes <g>.

John

It better be and hopefully will be on the next update (2.1?). BTW, this is not a "Droid" only problem, it is an "Android" problem. The Eris and others are in the same boat.

I don't think it's as complicated as all that, however I am seeing some post from people with a V1 saying they have had issues. I haven't seen any from people with a Q1.

I really don't know. Either way I'm giving my Jawbone 2 to my wife and I'm keeping the Q1. If it doesn't work I'll have to wait just like everybody else for a fix I suppose.

MaryU

Reaction score
I was totally shocked when I found I could not voice dial from my bluetooth. This is absolutely essential these days, when you are not supposed to be looking at your handset while driving! My two older phones worked great in this respect. I just pressed the button on my bluetooth device and it would say "please say a command" and I would say "Call John" etc. If there was a choice of home or mobile it would ask then I would select and it would cal. I downloaded an app which works somewhat- except you have to unlock the phone each time and press a buton on the phone which is distracting if you are driving. This must be fixed or I may have to take back the phone.

MaryU

Reaction score
Does this mean I have to buy a BlueAnt? I just bought a Jawbone2. That is a Blueant Q1? I wonder where you can get that?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I have to buy a BlueAnt? I just bought a Jawbone2. That is a Blueant Q1? I wonder where you can get that?

Don't buy a blue ant until I post my experience with it. I'll let you know if it works.