Does the lack of Hands Free operation bother anyone?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Dan Miller, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Dan Miller

Dan Miller New Member

I am somewhat amazed that people aren't screaming about this. Especially considering the lawsuit seeking people out there...

I love this device, but I can't call it a phone. Every mobile device I have owned since the original V-710 has had voice dialing via bluetooth or through a wired handset. Originally I thought it was a geek feature, but ultimately it got to the point where it might have been the single most used technology in the phone.

The fact that we now have what might be in some ways the most advanced mobile device on the planet is cool, but it is bordering on a criminal oversight not to have the handsfree profile included, especially considering that many states REQUIRE handsfree operation.

When you go to the Android developers area, Google has it listed as an "enhancement" with medium priority, meaning (as I take it), "we'll get around to it someday"

I know that if it isn't addressed on the 12/11 update, mine is going back.

I don't need a multimedia PC that fits on my belt. I NEED a phone first, then if it does all of these cool things, great. I have been using a Q since it came out, and it has its problems, but it is a pretty good device overall. This could have crushed it, but without handsfree operation, I can't consider it to be even in the running as anything other than a neat concept. Kind of like one of those futuristic show cars you see at the Milan Auto Show.
  2. dieselpowered

dieselpowered New Member

I am not going to lie, I was really shocked when I went to voice dial from my headset and it just beeped at me. I really took for granted that this would have been a feature. It is not going to make or break the way I feel about the phone, however, I truly think they should look into getting this added.
  3. mwinne

mwinne New Member

I was surprised that this phone does not have this, but for me it is no deal breaker, since I never used it much on my other phones. I jsut don't talk much on the phone when driving. However, that being said I think this jphone needs it more thean the ones I have had in the past, and would really like to see it added.
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't be caught dead with a bluetooth headset in my ear so no it doesn't bother me
    : )
  5. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill here. You can voice dial, you just can't hit the button on the headset, instead, you must tap the microphone icon and speak then. Works fine. Been using it for a while now.

It's just really not that big of a deal to be quite honest.
  6. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

the problem really is that it just doesn't do it through the main voice dialer app. It seems that if you were to modify this program to allow it through the BT devices, it would work. But then again it's probably not that easy. As already stated you can easily voice dial without the BT, the only thing is that you can't do it while it's in your pocket, or maybe in the belt holsters. The voice dialer can pick up speech even when the phone isn't right next to your ear.
  7. Dan Miller

Dan Miller New Member

A. That's not handsfree.
    B. If the phone is clipped to your belt, the screen is faced in. Impossible. Same if it is in your pocket, or in my wife's case, her purse.
    C. Many times the phone is at my desk, and the headset is in my ear and I'm not with it.
    D. The prompts don't come through the headset either.

Why do people downplay this? VoiceCommand has been out for many years, and even el-cheapo phones offer it.

If you don't miss it HUGELY, then you never really used it.
  8. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

It's not truly hands free ever then (you still have to touch the headset).

Just because YOU don't like the way it works doesn't mean we ALL have to not like it. For me, it works good enough. I never drive with a phone clipped to my belt so the current method is just as easy. If I'm walking around, then it's certainly not a liability issue like was implied in the original message. It's not that big of an issue.

Does it mean I feel they shouldn't make it work? Absolutely not. However, it's far from a large enough issue for me (and, apparently, most others) for me to take my phone back. If it's that large of an issue for you, then take it back. Problem solved. But don't act crazy when everyone doesn't agree with you as far as the size of the issue.
  9. PJ_ED

PJ_ED New Member

I also just "expected" this feature on the phone. I used it whenever I had my Bluetooth in. This also includes the integrated Bluetooth in my motorcycle helmet which I used mainly for listening to music. I'm not going to return the Droid over this, but it is disappointing. I hope they fix it before riding season comes back.
  10. Dan Miller

Dan Miller New Member

Good point... But there are at least 1000 people who agree, some much more vehemently.

Issue 1181 - android - [VoiceDial] Voice confirmation for Voice Dialer - Project Hosting on Google Code
  11. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

That's fine. My point is, don't get upset with those of us who aren't losing sleep over this. You asked if we're all that upset about it and I, like others, have replied it's not that big of a deal. It's a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have (for me).
  12. don

don New Member

I use the phone as a GPS and have a windshield mount. It very to use the VoiceDial with it in this mount.
  13. don

don New Member

I use the phone as a GPS and the VoiceDial is easy to use in the mount. I turn on the Speaker and can hear the call excellent. Do not use my Bluetooth in the car.
  14. BlkBear

BlkBear New Member

CK hates leeches

Come on CK, you saying you do not like blinking leeches on your face?
    I sorta like my Borg Leech.

I wonder if anyone makes BT headsets that go into your ear canal, like some of the smaller hearing aids?
  15. TechJPC

TechJPC New Member

I am with the OP. I think it is a MUST HAVE. I used it all the time before I got the Droid. It's dangerous right now if you have to make a call in the car.

Hopefully they will do something.
  16. McDawg81

McDawg81 New Member

I agree - this is a must fix - especially for those of us that drive stick shifts! Hands free is a requirement in too many states for this to have been overlooked. Great phone, overall I love it - but this is a major goof for a PHONE.
  17. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Visit this site for a "workaround" until (or if) the Droid is fixed in this respect.

Voice Dialer HF (DFXmobile)

Works as advertized and voice recognition is far superior to the native app. Works consistantly even over 20 feet from the phone with ambiant noise(still uses phone mic, not BT mic)

If your BT headset supports "media audio" it will work almost like real HF dialing, has voice control of apps too.
  18. MrsDebbi

MrsDebbi New Member

I really miss my BT headset. My Droid has a case on it that is rubberized, when I put it in my holster its hard to get out because it's grippy. If I put it in my purse, then I have to dig for it. When I'm at work, I kept my old phone on my hip, and when a call came in my headset would beep, I'd touch the button and be connected; or if I needed to call a client while processing their paperwork, a touch, a "Call John" and on the phone I was. If there was more than one number listed in my contacts, a voice would ask me (over the BT) Call John at Work? I could then respond with a Yes or No. IF NO, then it would ask 'Call John at Home?' etc. until it went through the list of numbers I have for John.

With the Droid, I have to struggle to get it out of my holster, turn it on, unlock it, press voice dial (which I now have as a short cut on my main screen) put the phone to my ear, speak the phrase - which includes more info to say "Call John at Home" or else I have to press more buttons to select the correct phone number, wait for it to dial, then press the BT hotkey so it will go to my headset.

Talk about a pain in the neck!

I sure hope they can write some code that will tell the phone 'if paired with a BT headset, activate voice dial when input is received from headset. If call is active, when input from BT Headset is received, disconnect call."
  19. MrsDebbi

MrsDebbi New Member

Although I looked at this and it is EXACTLY what my old phone did (and loved), I don't want to reprogram my camera button.
  20. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Reprogramming the camera button is a seperate app and NOT necessary at all for using VoiceDialer HF.

BTW IF you do use the Button Shortcut app to reprogram your camera button, it doesn't affect the camera button when you open the camera, it still works as normal as the shutter button.
Search tags for this page

application for hands free voice calls android

galaxy s4 hands frre link crv 2013 issues

galaxy s4 honda hands free link

honda hands free link on motorola droid

htc no volume through hands free link honda