If you can't talk and drive SELL YOUR CELL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanRacer48

Reaction score
Anybody else TIRED of hearing about all these hands free laws/devices/concepts? Honestly I'd rather an old lady just make a phone call rather than trying to pair blue tooth devices she doesn't even comprehend.

Honestly, if your not able to multitask a steering wheel and a few basic buttons, perhaps you shouldn't be driving. I see all the time IDIOTS driving down the road texting looking at their crotch. Or worse, phone in one hand and something in the other. No matter how good a driver you are .. at least ONE hand has to be on the wheel to do anything. Operating a car truthfully is 90% riding along and 10% driving.

REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE A BIG MAC OR A DROID IN YOUR OFF HAND, BE READY TO DRIVE.

Personally, being a nerdy IT guy (and mildy OCD w/ phones) I text / call/ nav/ toy and just about every other kind of fondling I can do w/ my phone while on the road. The trick is RESPONSIBILITY ... When your in stop and go traffic, perhaps wait until you have a few hundred feet assured distance before bashing out those next few letters.

I bet 90% of wrecks caused by text messages were from idiots who weren't even smart enough to hold the phone at road level to enable your peripheral vision to see obstructions. I know just out of frequency theres been MANY times people have slammed on the brakes in front of me mid text message. Oddly enough I can say I've NEVER had a close call that would have been a cell phone related incident.

In regards to talking on the phone, hands free is obviously cool but realistically unnecessary. If I'm driving while talking and I need to quickly steer if its that important, the phones priority level is going to drop about as fast as it flies across my car.

Bottom line is ... . If you have down syndrome but have a license, consider yourself lucky and dont push your limits. EVERY single wreck that involves a phone on the ground is going to get called a "cell phone related accident" just like they do w/ drugs and alcohol. Its an easy way for lawmakers to make revenue generating laws their FUNDRAISERS (Traffic cops) can collect.

Handsfree devices generally still involve just as much phone interaction as simply using the phone, keep in mind one of these options you probably already know how to do pretty well.

Second nature perhaps could be the thing that saves your life.

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with you on this topic...........although these laws were passed because of people not being able to multi-task like others. And this is their way of making sure that those people have both hands on the steering wheel at all times.
Yes ....its those people that put us in a situation where we now have to invest in a bluetooth or if not , you just have to pull over and park to make or take a phone call. It sucks you are right , but , at the same time.....I would hate for someone to ram into my son because they cant pay attention to the road and text message at same time.

Ironically a friend of mine last week got pulled over cause he was caught texting on his cell phone and he got a $100 citation

Shad0w325

Reaction score
I completely agree. Being a native of Ohio myself, I definitely agree with you that people here have no idea how to drive. :)

ricepuddin

Reaction score
2e1a8zn.gif

maybe i should be thanking you, people like you keep the medical field (at least emergency medicine field) gainfully employed. Keeping me gainfully employed.

texasPI

Reaction score
You can't legislate stupidity away. Just another revenue stream for the local/state governments. Just like the cell phone ban in school zones only. If its that unsafe then why not outlaw it outside of school zones? What about, radios, GPS devices etc?

mudpro69

Reaction score
When the OP gets rearended by a teenager trying to "multitask" behind the wheel maybe he will come back and edit the original post....

2vae5fr.png

OP
RyanRacer48

RyanRacer48

Reaction score
If you guys really think it should be a law then you are the reason we are losing rights by the day.

I'm willing to bet anybody who can't text and drive also can't eat a burger and drive. I can... should it be illegal for me to eat a Wendys double stack while driving?

FYI I'm guessing your barely even a teenager yourself by the use of a picture in your post like that. Any previously obtained credentials are now removed sir.

ricepuddin

Reaction score
If you guys really think it should be a law then you are the reason we are losing rights by the day.

I'm willing to bet anybody who can't text and drive also can't eat a burger and drive. I can... should it be illegal for me to eat a Wendys double stack while driving?

FYI I'm guessing your barely even a teenager yourself by the use of a picture in your post like that. Any previously obtained credentials are now removed sir.

This is a bad joke right? Your rights! right to what , endanger other people on the road because you think you can text and drive!

Oh and your hamburger argument is completely asinine. Yes it is a distraction, no you shouldn't stuff your face and drive. However there is a difference between having one hand off the wheel, and having one, if not both, hands off the wheel and your eyes focused on a cell phone. I don't care if your Ken Block himself!

Every week i see young men and women, who just get home from Iraq or Afghanistan. Who survived IED's, VIED's, Sniper fire, mortar attacks, and everything else that was thrown at them for 12 months strait, Come home and are killed or injured by someone like you, because they thought something on thier ****ing cell phone was just that damn important.

Good luck with your struggle against the powers that be!

atlharry

Reaction score
If a person gets into an accident while texting... do you really think that it was their first time? Do you think they thought any different than you do right now?

Why don't you ask someone who has accidentally killed someone while texting whether or not they thought they were completely capable of looking at a cell phone and typing while driving.

If a family member of yours were to be killed by one of these people, would you feel the same way? How about the girl in your profile? Imagine that she were gone because someone couldn't wait 10 minutes to reply to a text.

Get your head out of your ass.

The first gasoline powered cars came about in the late 1800s... Drunk driving laws didn't come about until 1910... I wonder why? New technology, eventually new laws (unfortunately, people die before people get smart). Get used to it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Watch it guys or the mods will be here in no time... It's fine to debate an issue but that does NOT mean you have to (or can) attack each other (personally). All that does is make you look stupid and will end up to the thread being closed and/or users being banned. Anyone that has to attach another person directly instead of intelligently debating an issue just shows how little they have to contribute (and we've all done it before:icon_ banana:).

If you've kept up with the news lately there have been several reports/studies that show that these laws have done little to nothing to reduce accident rates. Now whether this is an issue with the laws not being enforced enough (which is HIGHLY plausible) or if these laws are address a non-issue (i.e. txting doesn't lead to accidents) is anyone's guess at this point.

R1Lover

Reaction score
OK MR Wannabe mod.... let the mods do their job... no need to help them... :)

p.s. Attack is spelled with a K ;)

atlharry

Reaction score
If you've kept up with the news lately there have been several reports/studies that show that these laws have done little to nothing to reduce accident rates. Now whether this is an issue with the laws not being enforced enough (which is HIGHLY plausible) or if these laws are address a non-issue (i.e. txting doesn't lead to accidents) is anyone's guess at this point.

Judging by the OP, I would say it's the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.