If you can't talk and drive SELL YOUR CELL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricepuddin

Reaction score
Watch it guys or the mods will be here in no time... It's fine to debate an issue but that does NOT mean you have to (or can) attach each other (personally).

I am not attacking the OP, just his argument and original rant.

c0Ld

Reaction score
I've been texting and driving since... well, since the first time I drove a car. In fact, I tend to text MORE OFTEN while driving. I text in construction, school zones, and while in neighborhoods with kids riding their bikes. I have yet to even have a close call.

The funniest thing about these laws is how unenforceable they are. Police do NOT have the authority to search your phone to see when texts were sent. If you open up google maps before they come up to your car, you can merely claim that you were using your phone as a GPS. This is entirely legal and at this point there is absolutely nothing the cop can do unless you were actually stupid enough to be driving erratically or swerving while texting.

I'd say most people shouldn't text and drive. But if you're used to it and able to do so safely, then I see no issues whatsoever with it.

ricepuddin

Reaction score
I've been texting and driving since... well, since the first time I drove a car. In fact, I tend to text MORE OFTEN while driving. I text in construction, school zones, and while in neighborhoods with kids riding their bikes. I have yet to even have a close call.

I know people who (use to) drive drunk and have never had a near miss, does that make it ok?

ricepuddin

Reaction score

kastj

Reaction score
People's perceptions of how good they drive or how they're able to multitask so well and reality are rarely, if ever, the same.

c0Ld

Reaction score

I know people who (use to) drive drunk and have never had a near miss, does that make it ok?

Yes, actually. If you are well aware of your alcohol limits and at what point you, personally, become impaired, then I see no issue with driving before that point whether or not it's above the state limit. It definitely depends on the person, though. Most people are NOT aware of their limits and should avoid driving once they've had a few drinks.

ricepuddin

Reaction score

Yes, actually. If you are well aware of your alcohol limits and at what point you, personally, become impaired, then I see no issue with driving before that point whether or not it's above the state limit. It definitely depends on the person, though. Most people are NOT aware of their limits and should avoid driving once they've had a few drinks.
Drunk means past your limits, or at least that is what i associate drunk with.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Be sure to tell that to the police officer when you get pulled over. And to the judge at the trial. Let us know how it turns out :wink:.

c0Ld

Reaction score

Well, true. I usually associate "drunk" with feeling anything at all. So, by that definition, yes, drunk driving is quite dangerous. I know I can have a few before I'm unable to drive, though. Past that point, I'm not able to concentrate on the road very well and don't drive for any reason. The two situations are really not comparable -- texting and driving, at least properly, consists of doing so only when it's safe. You are able to react to things in your peripheral vision within a few hundred milliseconds when texting and driving. If you're drunk to the point of being impaired, you aren't concentrating whatsoever and can't reliably react to anything. It's really comparing apples to oranges.

c0Ld

Reaction score

Be sure to tell that to the police officer when you get pulled over. And to the judge at the trial. Let us know how it turns out :wink:.

I won't ever be pulled over with a DUI. Not only is my personal limit under the state limit, I tend to avoid driving past a single drink or two. But I've known people that can down quite a bit without feeling anything whatsoever and still be able to concentrate very well. If you're above the state limit but personally able to concentrate on driving just fine, then you won't be pulled over to begin with.

I can personally tell you that I'd rather drive drunk then drive in a depressed mood. I'm able to concentrate on single things very well while drunk and can usually keep my cool very well until a certain point, whereas when I'm feeling down I couldn't concentrate on writing my own name. Everyone is different, and laws like this are nothing but general guidelines for the masses.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
BBC NEWS | UK | Text driving 'worse than drink'

If your reaction times are worse than a drunk's while 'text driving'... I would go ahead and just repeal DWI laws while you're at it.

Wasn't this on an episode of 'MythBusters'? If I remember correctly (though I may be mistaken) they came up with the same conclusion(s).

They did the talking on the phone, and drinking and driving.

Right you are. And it was confirmed...
MythBusters Episode 33: Killer Brace Position

Though I remember they didn't bother with hands-free (i.e. BlueTooth headsets) that would have been good to have compared.

ricepuddin

Reaction score

Well, true. I usually associate "drunk" with feeling anything at all. So, by that definition, yes, drunk driving is quite dangerous. I know I can have a few before I'm unable to drive, though. Past that point, I'm not able to concentrate on the road very well and don't drive for any reason. The two situations are really not comparable -- texting and driving, at least properly, consists of doing so only when it's safe. You are able to react to things in your peripheral vision within a few hundred milliseconds when texting and driving. If you're drunk to the point of being impaired, you aren't concentrating whatsoever and can't reliably react to anything. It's really comparing apples to oranges.
I was using hyperbole to make a point. Just because you can doesn't make it right, or safe kind of thing. not necessarily making a direct comparison.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey Guys,

one thing I CANT read any more, is a community that cant read selective.
If you are sick about complains, that can always occure with a phone (even if its a frist gen. phone), THEN STOP READING it.

Jesus Facepalms are helping NO ONE. and it might offend some.

So i close this one up! If you are not willing to help, then just ignore Threads showing problems! Me and the rest of the team created and run this forums to PROVIDE help. And a strong community is necessary for that.
I couldnt believe it when i read another thread a girl wrote she had 3 phones and always problems and guys started calling her a troll!

We are helpful! Resistence is futile!

:icon_ devil:

Tigger

Status
Not open for further replies.