A Pure Google Phone From Motorola May Come Next Year, But Likely Will Be 6-8 Months

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-Mobility-and-google-logo-shadowed.jpeg

A pure Google Motorola Nexus device certainly could be the "holy grail" for some users. Motorola has some of the best hardware on the planet, and although some of their newer software is pretty impressive, most folks would just love to see a Motorola phone unhampered by add-ons. You would think now that Google owns Motorola, it would be an easy thing to make happen. Well, we have both good and bad news regarding that idea. The good news is that we may see something like that next year. The bad news is that it might be very late in the year.

Google's CFO Patrick Pichette spoke at Google's Q3 2012 earnings call yesterday. He shared the following,

Look, we're really pleased with Motorola's progress in its first 150 days. As indicated in our public filings, our team has made a lot of operational changes, we harmonized and narrowed the product portfolio, [undertook] streamlining of software operations, and we scaled back the markets in which we operate. But that said, we're just at the beginning of the Motorola-Google story, and we should expect, as I mentioned before, results from this segment to be quite variable for quite a while yet.

Remember that we inherited an entire product pipeline where hardware business cycles are typically 12 to 18 months.

Reading between the lines in his statement, it's not hard to come to the conclusion that the new Google owned Motorola intends to finish pushing out the phones they currently have in their pipeline, before they consider moving to a pure-Android Moto phone. On the flip-side of that, it's also likely that once the current crop has filtered out, we will start to see Moto's devices sync-up better with the most current Android OS of the time.

Source: TheVerge

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Still waiting for a Motorola Droid Nexus...and hopefully one rockin' the Qwerty keyboard. :D

LOL...if I see one with a querty keyboard it will be just before the end of Motorola as a whole. =D I bet it won't be on Verizon. They are too far in bed with Big Red.

djspy

Reaction score
what good is it to us verizon customers? i have a better chance of winning an oscar than this phone coming to verizon.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
Make it a 5.0" edge-to-edge, zero-bevel 2.0 gHz quad-core Qualcomm (if available by then), 2-4gb ram, Android 5.0 Keylime Pie (again, if in existence by then), 12-16 MP zero-shutterlag camera that's crystal-clear, 1920 x 1080p SuperAMOLED+ display non-pentile w/ stylus, Razr Maxx styling/hardware + battery, unlocked bootloader and 32-64 GB internal and you have the ultimate phone. Motorola Nexus Infinity I would call it...wishful thinking if it was manufactured in USA, those days long gone...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Make it a 5.0" edge-to-edge, zero-bevel 2.0 gHz quad-core Qualcomm (if available by then), 2-4gb ram, Android 5.0 Keylime Pie (again, if in existence by then), 12-16 MP zero-shutterlag camera that's crystal-clear, 1920 x 1080p SuperAMOLED+ display non-pentile w/ stylus, Razr Maxx styling/hardware + battery, unlocked bootloader and 32-64 GB internal and you have the ultimate phone. Motorola Nexus Infinity I would call it...wishful thinking if it was manufactured in USA, those days long gone...

Not asking for too much at all :cool:

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not asking for too much at all :cool:

I'm not saying it was aliens...bit it was aliens.

Haha. No joke...I doubt Google would put that kind of hardware in a Nexus device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This makes me feel a lil better about getting the Maxx HD. I was holding on to rumors of a Moto Nexus coming soon.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
You will not see another Nexus phone on Verizon. Verizon is still butthurt from the Galaxy Nexus debacle. If you want another Nexus phone, you'll have to jump ship this time around. If enough users do jump ship, perhaps Verizon will reverse course. I doubt it will happen. I'll stick around on Verizon in the hopes that a Nexus ROM comes out. Now, wouldn't that be grand? A ROM that could virtually turn any phone into a Nexus device? :icon_eek:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Agree won't be on verizonwirless. They will lock it and moto will come out and say its the "carrier" and Verizon will say its the "manufacturer" and unlock phone will damage user experience yada yada...meanwhile they see double digit growth in revenue. After my nexus contract is up I'm looking else where. Will lose my unlimited data if I stay or go (unless I buy the phone at retail) anyway. No incentive to stay plus I have to pay to upgrade, really? So retarded...

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Stormy Knight said:
You will not see another Nexus phone on Verizon. Verizon is still butthurt from the Galaxy Nexus debacle. If you want another Nexus phone, you'll have to jump ship this time around. If enough users do jump ship, perhaps Verizon will reverse course. I doubt it will happen. I'll stick around on Verizon in the hopes that a Nexus ROM comes out. Now, wouldn't that be grand? A ROM that could virtually turn any phone into a Nexus device? :icon_eek:

It's very possible that what you wish for not far off. CyanogenMod is working on a way to do OTA for their roms ( or so I heard)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums