Did the Motorola Droid Bionic just clear the FCC?

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Does anyone know what screen size it will have?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

It is 4.3". The reason why people thought it was 4.5" is because it was next to a Defy and it was originally said that it was next to Atrix which is 4". So the reason why it looked so large in the photos is because it was next to a Defy which is 3.7":

droid-bionic6-600x463.jpg

In the pic, the bionic looks different then the others I have seen...I preferred the other look...

If you are talking about the one from CES then that has been scrapped.

CES Bionic:
motorola-droid-bionic-overview-specs-q2-release-date.jpg

New Bionic:
Motorola-Droid-Bionic-Photo.jpg

spider210

Reaction score
It is 4.3". The reason why people thought it was 4.5" is because it was next to a Defy and it was originally said that it was next to Atrix which is 4". So the reason why it looked so large in the photos is because it was next to a Defy which is 3.7":

droid-bionic6-600x463.jpg

In the pic, the bionic looks different then the others I have seen...I preferred the other look...

If you are talking about the one from CES then that has been scrapped.

CES Bionic:
motorola-droid-bionic-overview-specs-q2-release-date.jpg

New Bionic:

Motorola-Droid-Bionic-Photo.jpg

nice nice I like :)

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
The picture I posted is said to be The Bionic unless they made other changes to the form before it is released. I am guessing there will be more leaks in the coming weeks. Especially if August 4 is the release Date...

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
Didn't popherald say it would be dropping in early july...

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

teg94

Reaction score

Well it's July 5 and I sure don't see any sign of it dropping soon... So I'm going to go out on a limb and say if popherald did say anything about the Bionic dropping in early July, that they're wrong.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I prefer the CES Bionic's look...maybe its just me.
And the other pic isn't as easy to see, so maybe once I see a better pic after the phone is released it'll change my mind.

Reaction score

You didn't just quote popherald as if they're a reliable mobile tech news source did you? You have much to learn young jedi : )

Popherald said that since mobile hotspots are up on the 6th the bionic must be dropping on the 7th..that was his logic..lol...more like mobile hotspots are up...in bringeth the tiered data..all other credible sources have pointed towards mid to late august for release for the past few months...we may be treated to an early august release

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I prefer the CES Bionic's look...maybe its just me.
And the other pic isn't as easy to see, so maybe once I see a better pic after the phone is released it'll change my mind.
Its not just u,its me also.The org forum factor made it stand out from the rest.Side note;look @ the speaker on the org bionic-it looked like the org was gonna have a nice speaker. I checked out the evo 3d's speaker-they ought 2 b ashamed of themselfs.One thing i can say about this bbery tour,the speaker is loud.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Reaction score
Good news for the Bionic (and Droid 3) since they appear to both have OMAP4: High Def Netflix certified -- AnandTech - TI OMAP4 First to be Awarded Netflix HD DRM Certification

Things are wrapped up now, with OMAP4 now being granted a Netflix Silicon Reference Implementation (SRI) certification for Android 2.3.

The obvious first place for HD Netflix playback with HDMI out to show up is the upcoming Motorola Droid 3, which we've already shown includes an OMAP4 SoC. No doubt the handset will come with a compliant Netflix application preloaded should it leverage this certification.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
BP,

Thanks for the link. very interesting read. While my understanding level of the nuts and bolts is somewhat lacking, one question that does jump out at me is the whole concept of romming and more critically locking down the bootloader and/or kernel. It would seem to me that while a lot of the locking arguments go back and forth about who is the one desiring the lock, moto or the carrier. I am wondering if this brings a third party into the mix, Netflix? Or DRM in general. Or perhaps if there were a way to bypass some level of locking by a rommer or moto/vzw releasing things, would this simply end up being a case where something custom breaks something native, much in the same way roms can break wifi or usb or other core functions?

Random thoughts,

Craig

bplewis24

Reaction score
I am wondering if this brings a third party into the mix, Netflix? Or DRM in general. Or perhaps if there were a way to bypass some level of locking by a rommer or moto/vzw releasing things, would this simply end up being a case where something custom breaks something native, much in the same way roms can break wifi or usb or other core functions?

Random thoughts,

Craig

Craig, you definitely bring up good points. I recall an article released on Android Central a few days after Google I/O which said that the new Movie/Video rental service they were rolling out "currently would not work on rooted devices."

My gut instinct tells me that the only way they could get the Hollywood studios to sign off on the content deals is to prevent it from working on rooted devices until Google has some sort of standard DRM in place to protect them. No real analysis or further discussion of this has been done to my knowledge, so for all we know this could be baked into Ice Cream Sandwich and rooted devices will work, or maybe rooted devices will never be able to play movies from Google's own service. But it's very clear that content partners are worried about piracy on mobile platforms.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed my NE2 upgrade is on 8/8/11. An 8/4/11 launch of the Bionic would be great.

Brandon

OriginalDroid

Reaction score

... sarcasm flew right over the top of a lot of you

At ces moto said q2 then early june was rumored then early july and now early august this looks more likely as there appears to be some evidence but something official would be nice

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

... sarcasm flew right over the top of a lot of you

At ces moto said q2 then early june was rumored then early july and now early august this looks more likely as there appears to be some evidence but something official would be nice

Moto did said Q2 but then said in April before the end of the Summer. No other dates were given By Motorola. All those other dates were just Speculations from blogs. August 4th is looking more like the release date. We will find out within the next few weeks because if that is the date we will be seeing a lot of leaks in the coming weeks.