Did the Motorola Droid Bionic just clear the FCC?

Reaction score
I prefer the CES Bionic's look...maybe its just me.
And the other pic isn't as easy to see, so maybe once I see a better pic after the phone is released it'll change my mind.
Its not just u,its me also.The org forum factor made it stand out from the rest.Side note;look @ the speaker on the org bionic-it looked like the org was gonna have a nice speaker. I checked out the evo 3d's speaker-they ought 2 b ashamed of themselfs.One thing i can say about this bbery tour,the speaker is loud.

Crank...all i see is a blend or letters....semi colons and a word sprinkled in here and there...lol

DoctorV

Reaction score
I prefer the CES Bionic's look...maybe its just me.
And the other pic isn't as easy to see, so maybe once I see a better pic after the phone is released it'll change my mind.
Its not just u,its me also.The org forum factor made it stand out from the rest.Side note;look @ the speaker on the org bionic-it looked like the org was gonna have a nice speaker. I checked out the evo 3d's speaker-they ought 2 b ashamed of themselfs.One thing i can say about this bbery tour,the speaker is loud.

Crank...all i see is a blend or letters....semi colons and a word sprinkled in here and there...lol

hiwehiw4hihhphh9[ qw34h 79 4790 bionic qw4tf78g rirginagn prw9 pa u9pr cant wait u9p r h9 arh9 release date poin 39p 98gh9p lol wtf bbq mirite?!1!!1 :icon_ banana:

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I am wondering if this brings a third party into the mix, Netflix? Or DRM in general. Or perhaps if there were a way to bypass some level of locking by a rommer or moto/vzw releasing things, would this simply end up being a case where something custom breaks something native, much in the same way roms can break wifi or usb or other core functions?

Random thoughts,

Craig

Craig, you definitely bring up good points. I recall an article released on Android Central a few days after Google I/O which said that the new Movie/Video rental service they were rolling out "currently would not work on rooted devices."

My gut instinct tells me that the only way they could get the Hollywood studios to sign off on the content deals is to prevent it from working on rooted devices until Google has some sort of standard DRM in place to protect them. No real analysis or further discussion of this has been done to my knowledge, so for all we know this could be baked into Ice Cream Sandwich and rooted devices will work, or maybe rooted devices will never be able to play movies from Google's own service. But it's very clear that content partners are worried about piracy on mobile platforms.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed my NE2 upgrade is on 8/8/11. An 8/4/11 launch of the Bionic would be great.

Brandon

Brandon,

From your linked article is does appear some of it or could be baked into the processor, but I think it also says that parts of the protection reside in the operating system. If at the kernel level I could see a rommer making things work, if the different levels have to work concurrently (as the link seems to purport). But that would almost have to involve some kind of voluntary release on the part of the phone maker and/or carrier to make that happen. A bit like library files or camera video "drivers" on the D1 that are hampering full rom functionality with all phone components?

And this is one feature (netflix) that I do not use yet, but methinks that even if a rommer can hack his way into functionality, Netflix/Moto/VZW cannot sit idlely by much the same way VZW is reported to have actually cracked down on tethering. It is one thing for VZW to "live" with hacking and custom roms, I think hacking here would cause all kinds of active response.

My unrelated note, my renewal is happening next week, and I had all but talked myself into a D3. My plan was to wait a week or two to see more of the phone, battery life, lockedness, developer interest etc. Looks like me waiting a couple of weeks might possibly land me into Bionic decisions, hence my dropping in here. If I am gonna burn my NE2, I might get more bang for the buck with the Bionic, all phone comparisons aside.

Craig

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Last edited:

kd.android

Reaction score
Will it support simultaneous voice and data on 3G?

Yes according to the FCC Documents said that it has simultaneous CDMA voice with LTE data.

Motorola Droid Bionic Swings By FCC With Its LTE Radio?
What about in a non-4G area?

If I'm reading the data in one of the FCC documents correctly, it appears that the Bionic will NOT support simultaneous voice and data on 3G...

EX11 FCC SAR Report Rev B -- Page 8 of 37

Full List of Exhibits (If link above doesn't work for individual doc)

-- The DUT system architecture does not support simultaneous voice and data during a single CDMA session to the cellular network. --

Last edited:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe I answered this in a different thread yesterday. No simultaneous voice and data over 3G. The documents are saying that while using CDMA for voice in an LTE area, you may use the LTE for data services while talking to someone.

anuraj1

Reaction score
I believe I answered this in a different thread yesterday. No simultaneous voice and data over 3G. The documents are saying that while using CDMA for voice in an LTE area, you may use the LTE for data services while talking to someone.

I'm okay with that, but then again I live in a 4g/LTE area.

spider210

Reaction score
So is this thunderbolt going to be the only phone able to do this???

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe. If you're getting an LTE phone and trying to use voice and data over 3G....what's the point of getting the LTE phone then? And the Thunderbolt isn't a bad phone if you wanted that feature. Personally, I don't want the Thunderbolt because of the bugs and the battery life.