[ROM] **CM9 Discussion/Download Thread**

DivinityCycle

Reaction score
I haven't been doing a lot on my phone recently, so wiping didn't bother me. Did a complete wipe of all data, and then I flashed 02062012, 4.0.4 Gapps 020512, the blue soft keys, and Franco's 16.1 kernel, in that order. Google's backup / restore process auto-installed a bunch of crap, but I uninstalled pretty much everything. I used File Expert's root explorer mode to go into /system/app and removed some stock apps I don't use (like Email and Exchange, Car Dock, Facelock, some others).
I have resisted the urge to install tons of apps yet. Before doing the wipe I was getting TERRIBLE battery life.
Today's pretty much my second day of using the phone after wiping & updating. I used the phone to listen to local audio files over BlueTooth for about an hour, I have done some brief email checking / deleting, and I have myself signed into about six accounts in Trillian. I have LTE disabled, and currently have BT and WiFi disabled.
87% battery at this point, 5 hours 32 minutes on battery.
I'm using Frano's kernel set to the Gazel governor, with my min CPU @ 700 MHz and max @ 1.35 GHz.

I haven't played around with too much yet as far as apps go, I am mostly concentrating and getting a "baseline" battery life.

I'm curious, is there a changelog or anything we can look at with details on the 4.0.4 apps? Also, after flashing those in I still had several app "updates" available in the market for things like Maps. Should that happen?

-EDIT-
I began looking for info.
Looks like mainly the Camera and Browser are different in the "4.0.4" apps package.
I have been using Chrome for my browsing so I have no idea what that looks like.
The "new" camera looks pretty much like the other one I was using. Will have to play around with it I guess.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The camera "power button" as shutter isn't working for me.
I downloaded from rom manager

-=Flomaster=-

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
winner00

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The camera "power button" as shutter isn't working for me.
I downloaded from rom manager

-=Flomaster=-

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Its because the 4.0.4 gapps replaces the camera.apk. I going put a new gapps that I found thats a lot better with my new build tonight. It doesn't replace the browser or camera.

shdobxr

Reaction score
Also to note face unlock doesn't seem to work. 2/6 build

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Its because the 4.0.4 gapps replaces the camera.apk. I going put a new gapps that I found thats a lot better with my new build tonight. It doesn't replace the browser or camera.

got on to 404 gapps and 0206 build. i'm so thankful for market restore b/c data wiping can be a pain. luckily, i had a screenshot of my old homescreen to rebuild it. also, i'm not sure what you and Franco have done between both of your last builds, but this combo is SOLID. much much smoother without losing a lick of speed or battery consumption. good job.

i'm confused about the recent build that required a data wipe (like a 404 build, but the OS ver didn't change - i'm confused). when can we expect the next data wipe? is it based on the updated android version or new gapps? might sound like a n00b question, but i want to learn.

OP
winner00

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
got on to 404 gapps and 0206 build. i'm so thankful for market restore b/c data wiping can be a pain. luckily, i had a screenshot of my old homescreen to rebuild it. also, i'm not sure what you and Franco have done between both of your last builds, but this combo is SOLID. much much smoother without losing a lick of speed or battery consumption. good job.

i'm confused about the recent build that required a data wipe (like a 404 build, but the OS ver didn't change - i'm confused). when can we expect the next data wipe? is it based on the updated android version or new gapps? might sound like a n00b question, but i want to learn.
First I would download the latest build with the latest gapps and flash that. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, and System before you flash.

I don't think we will need a data wipe for a while. You shouldn't need to wipe between new android versions. You might need to wipe if a new gapps comes out based on a newer version on android.

It wasn't a 4.0.4 build, it was a 4.0.3 with 4.0.4 props.

DivinityCycle

Reaction score
Still running the same stuff as when I previously posted, still haven't plugged in to recharge.

I am showing 25 hours, 4 minutes on battery, 32% charge remaining.
This is after around 3 hours of BlueTooth local audio playback, some app updates over 3G, taking some pictures (which then auto uploaded to G+), and a few hours of chatting on Trillian.
However, I wanna point out that this is with somewhat unusually strict energy conservation policies in place.
I have ALL sound effects including notification sounds disabled. I have the brightness turned down to 25%. I have 4G / LTE disabled. I currently have NO additional apps installed, not even SwiftKeyX.
I think one of my biggest power drains was the vibration motor. When I was chatting on Trillian with vibration enabled it was one of those "holy crap thats like 2% lower than when I looked at it just a moment ago?!?" kind of experiences.
My battery stats show the biggest offender was "Android OS" with 26% battery usage.
I am gonna charge up my phone now, and also install a few more 3rd party things.
My "normal" setup is to have LauncherPro, Beautiful Widgets, and SwiftKeyX installed. I'm gonna just install those and hold off on updating for another day or two to see how my battery life compares.

One thing I will say, +1 for the "power button = shutter button" functionality. I had it on the previous camera, and it was EXCELLENT. If you are trying to take pictures at any weird kind of angle, the touch button is TERRIBLE.
"well don't take pics at weird angles."
Yeah but this phone's camera sometimes really needs the flash to work properly, which is only on the back-facing cam, which is on the opposite side as the screen where the button is....
Winner, you and Franco have made my GNex AMAZING!!!!!!!

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
should I do a " wipe data/factory" reset if going from 2/6 build, or just dalvik and cache? about to flash the new build now..but would like to avoid a total restore.

-=Jason=-

jty206

Reaction score
If you're using ROM manner, you'll get the answer as it will correctly (usually) suggest what to do. When upgrading to a new version of the same ROM, I'll wipe dalvic and install. A full data wipe is not needed. Be sure you have a backup!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
winner00

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
should I do a " wipe data/factory" reset if going from 2/6 build, or just dalvik and cache? about to flash the new build now..but would like to avoid a total restore.

-=Jason=-
What gapps do you have on there now? 4.0.4 or 4.0.3?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What gapps do you have on there now? 4.0.4 or 4.0.3?

I have 4.0.4 Gapps... 020912 CM9Kand, 020912 Blue keys, and franco's 16.1 kernel.
coming from 020612 cm9Kang I only wipe dalvik and cache I did not do a factory wipe. the camera seems to be acting like normal and all seems well.

-=Jason=-

jerroedr

Reaction score
OP
winner00

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So I still havent updated from stock rooted 4.0.2, but I found this "ROM" [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers Ive been busy with school and am slightly behind the times. I think that link is a 4.0.4 rom? What are the kangs? It seems like the winner build includes these options built in. Also, does the winner cm kang have cmsettings or is it integrated like that post from a day or two ago on the home page was saying.
Cant' believe your still on 4.0.2.

Yes that is a 4.0.4 rom. The kangs are still 4.0.3 because 4.0.4 isn't in source yet. I don't think there is a big difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4. CMSettings is no more. All of the CM customization are just integrated in settings. The CMSettings you see in the app drawer is mods that haven't been integrated into Settings yet so you need that app to change stuff for those mods.

jerroedr

Reaction score
Cant' believe your still on 4.0.2.

Yes that is a 4.0.4 rom. The kangs are still 4.0.3 because 4.0.4 isn't in source yet. I don't think there is a big difference between 4.0.3 and 4.0.4. CMSettings is no more. All of the CM customization are just integrated in settings. The CMSettings you see in the app drawer is mods that haven't been integrated into Settings yet so you need that app to change stuff for those mods.

I have had like zero problems with .0.2 but apparently im missing stuff. any idea on an eta for a .0.4 build?