Clarification about 2.1: Everyone read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This brings up another interesting scenario... So if 2.1 comes out and is NOT rootable what will new/refurbished Droid be 'flashed' with from the factory... it would REALLY suck if someone had to exchange/replace their phone and the replacement had an unrootable ROM...

Be about the same as if root can't be reversed... you would NOT be able to exchange the phone for warranty or insurance... you'd essentially have to drop it in the toilet and hope they don't (or can't) pull the ROM info once they get it at the reconditioning facility.

hammer......

r-dubya

Reaction score
Couldn't you basically do it the same way as rooting a G1 and downgrade to 2.0.1 (after having had 2.1) and then reroot? I don't see why you couldn't RE-LOAD the old version in order to root. Just make a 2.0.1 backup before updating, if you don't like it, install update and go back! Should be just as easy... right guys? ;)

If i am incorrect someone please correct me.

I thought that you cannot do that unless you are rooted. You cannot enter the "root" of you SD card and run an update.zip file from the normal boot menu. I may be wrong here, it has happened... once.

Last edited:

r-dubya

Reaction score
This brings up another interesting scenario... So if 2.1 comes out and is NOT rootable what will new/refurbished Droid be 'flashed' with from the factory... it would REALLY suck if someone had to exchange/replace their phone and the replacement had an unrootable ROM...

Be about the same as if root can't be reversed... you would NOT be able to exchange the phone for warranty or insurance... you'd essentially have to drop it in the toilet and hope they don't (or can't) pull the ROM info once they get it at the reconditioning facility.

hammer......

Could you really bring yourself to smash away at your phone? Honestly? I don't think i could...

Maybe just throw it at the wall...:)

strobez395

Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity lol..if you did happen to have to...introduce the droid to Mr. Hammer...you would be charged $50 and could only to it once more for 2010? (provided you insured your phone when purchasing with verizons insurance)

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity lol..if you did happen to have to...introduce the droid to Mr. Hammer...you would be charged $50 and could only to it once more for 2010? (provided you insured your phone when purchasing with verizons insurance)

hypothetically speaking? i believe the smartphone insurance deductible is $90.. and i am not certain about how often you are able to claim said insurance.

and yes. i can take a hammer to anything, even my beloved droid. :icon_ devil:

strobez395

Reaction score
See that makes me a lot less nervous to root and experiment with the droid...knowing I could just smash it with a sledge hammer and ask for a new one for $90 saying a 400lb 7ft tall man with an AK-47 told me give him my droid or he'll kill me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We need this release... if only for the purpose of ending speculation :)

strobez395

Reaction score
Yes, but if its not this, it will be the next thing. People are never satisfied =)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you basically do it the same way as rooting a G1 and downgrade to 2.0.1 (after having had 2.1) and then reroot? I don't see why you couldn't RE-LOAD the old version in order to root. Just make a 2.0.1 backup before updating, if you don't like it, install update and go back! Should be just as easy... right guys? ;)

Nope, least it's not being the case on the Nexus... whatever they did is blocking any changes to the boot system... So far no matter WHAT they've tried they have not been able to unroot...

And as we've seen the Eris has YET to be rooted. So don't hold out think that the hackers will be able to root 2.1 quickly (if at all).

Yes, but if its not this, it will be the next thing. People are never satisfied =)

YEP:icon_ banana: I heard the 2.2 is about to be released to the OEMs:icon_ devil: and that Flash 10.1 will come out right after the 2.1 OTA:icon_ devil:

droidkm

Reaction score
so if you update to 2.1 and then decide to go back to 2.01 for whatever reason, is that possible and what would I do?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
so if you update to 2.1 and then decide to go back to 2.01 for whatever reason, is that possible and what would I do?

We don't know for sure but it's a definite possibility that you WON'T be able to. We have to wait and see what happens to those (possibly unfortunate souls) that accept the OTA:icon_ devil:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunate or fortunate? I would prefer to get my updates OTA for the life of the phone without worrying about being stuck in a root I don't want.

If it can't be rooted then so be it. I didn't buy the phone to root it. If it can be rooted without a problem then I'll do it.

No stress.

wil318466

Reaction score
For all of you contemplating unrooting your ROM to "test" 2.1, I think you are crazy.

All you have to do is wait a few days and see the MASSIVE amount of posts that will hit these boards. You can get the gist of what is going on by the "Oh my God I wish I never unrooted" or "Thank God I unrooted" posts.

If you unroot, you risk not getting it back. If you don't root and wait, you risk nothing except waiting a few days for an update you don't want. Lol.

There really is no choice, if you look at it that way. I'm not even considering it.

-Wil

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure this has al been coverd. 5 times or more. This thread is :closed_2:

Status
Not open for further replies.