OTA update

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So I am gathering from what you're describing it did not cause a complete wipe to factory?
No, not at all. My system looks exactly the same. All that changed is that the bloat is back.

I am running stock though...no custom anything. Just unlocked and rooted. All the debloating I did was manual.

drknrgy

Reaction score
No, not at all. My system looks exactly the same. All that changed is that the bloat is back.

I am running stock though...no custom anything. Just unlocked and rooted. All the debloating I did was manual.

Well this Is the best news I have received all day. Also running stock. just root unlocked debloat and did not want to go through the process again. Hopefully We can! I'll give it a go then. Bring on ICS !

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My phone seems faster. Benchmarks are slightly higher. Have not tested call quality yet.

N4UPD

Reaction score
The com.htc.bg force close message still pops up on my phone after the update so I guess that wasn't fixed. Anyone else have that pop up on their screen?

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
Finally got updated. rebloated and it installed finally. Root can be preserved if you install OTA Rootkeeper prior and run the su backup. It restored my root access with no problem!

OP
E

esheesle

Reaction score
There is an app in the market which will make a backup copy of the su binary and do the setuid trick to allow it to run even without the normal su binary present. So after OTA, you can run the app again and it will use that su binary to redo the permissions on the original one. Essentially a backup copy which can grant root back without any flashing of recovery etc.. Think i saw it first on droid-life or lifehacker.

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Wow!
I wonder why my OTA was so easy?

I installed and ran the Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper.

Downloaded the OTA.
Installed.
It booted into the bootloader or recovery menu. Not sure which.
It ran for a very short time and then said "install update aborted" or something like that.

I thought that it failed because I had frozen all the bloat.
So I went in to Titanium and Batch Unfroze all the frozen bloat.

Went back into settings and tried to start the download again.
It said that I could not.
No new software available.

Check Status.
Date 1/28/12
Time 12:05am
Description: This software update includes enhancements and improvements to your HTC Rezound.

It worked.
I don't see my bloat on there anywhere AND I still have root access!!

I thought this was supposed to be difficult.
:)

B

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Well the ota crashed my phone. I was using it in the morning and noticed some unusual battery life. Phone went dead in about 5 hours then when I started charging it went into a boot loop. Nothing is did would help till a hard reset!

Sent from my rockin rezound

STINGER

Reaction score
Ran the update on my end ........ went pretty easy ............... no problems yet or at least none I've noticed ........ I never really had many issues to begin with but ran the update anyway and hope it's an improvement and not a hindrance .............. so far all's well

MJKneuro

Reaction score
Anybody know any rhyme or reason to verizons update pattern. I called tech support yesterday and was told I could expect it within the next month.....

MJKneuro

Reaction score
Month later and I still haven't gotten the update. Now they say give it another month. Once they are finished sending it out, if i still haven't gotten it, it will be available to download on the website

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
You can get the RUU from scottsroms.com. Scott keeps them all, so if you're stock and locked(or just want the OTA headache) then grab it from his download section. Donate/thank him if you find it useful.

brbal

Reaction score
Has anyone with a rooted phone tried the OTA update for ics? I've flashed a couple Jellybean Roms that I haven't liked, so I would like do update. However, I'm worried if I do update I'll lose my root.

Spartans_08

Reaction score
Has anyone with a rooted phone tried the OTA update for ics? I've flashed a couple Jellybean Roms that I haven't liked, so I would like do update. However, I'm worried if I do update I'll lose my root.

Try AOKP JB build 2....Ive been using it for 2 days and it has worked flawlessly so far....best JB rom ive used on the S3