Call Quality? Report, if you please.

bcrigler

Reaction score
To be honest... anything is better than Moto Droid's sound quality. Even with changing the vocoder option EVRC-B or whatever it still sucked. And if you had the moto on your shoulder while you were doing other things you sounded muffled. Only if you had your mouth directly in front of the mic would it sound good. I constantly heard static with my moto as well. I have none of these issues with Incredible and the quality is excellent with zero complaints from callers.

zengirl

Reaction score
Call Quality Review

Hi All,

I may be one of the luckiest ducks of all...the guys at the verizon store I went to didn't know they weren't supposed to sell the Incredible until the 29th and let me buy their first one on Tues. the 27th!

To answer the question, the call quality is awful. I feel like I can hear my own voice echoing back to me through the speaker, and it's very annoying. The volume of the caller's voice seems to drift in and out and frequently cuts out entirely for a few seconds. Verizon has always been great with reception, but it does not seem to me like the network is the issue...I think it's the hardware. Then again, I could be wrong.

That being said, I should clarify that, overall, I LOVE my Incredible. I switched from the HTC Droid Eris and the Incredible is a huge step up. It's SO snappy...the internet browsing is wicked fast, camera rocks, and I don't have many of the same problems that I had with my Eris. Some people have posted in other threads that the battery life is poor, but I think my Eris was much worse.

Dream

Reaction score
I have to agree with it being better than the Droid was. Even the speaker phone is louder and more clear than the Droid was, and thats tough to beat!

QuietStorm007

Reaction score
I just got my Incredible last night and made a few phone calls to test the quality. Both friends talked to me regularly on my old phone and said the incredible sounds nice/crisp/clear. Can't say I have any complaints on my end either.

tomwest

Reaction score
Wanted to share my experience with the Inc, and why I will be sending it back.

Switched from Tmo with a blackberry curve, in Chicago.

Pros: love the web browsing (when in 3g), love the car page.
Cons: call quality everywhere is worse than Tmo BB. No service in many areas including work. Battery hasnt made it through a day without charging!

Sucks, but I'll be sending it back, as it's pretty much unusable for me as a work phone.

solorca

Reaction score
I moved away from the Droid solely based on the poor call quality of it. I haven't made a lot of calls, but everyone I've spoken to has commented on how much better it sounds. I don't know if the sound is something that is better (or worse) than an average phone, but it's certainly better than the Droid.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Hi All,

I may be one of the luckiest ducks of all...the guys at the verizon store I went to didn't know they weren't supposed to sell the Incredible until the 29th and let me buy their first one on Tues. the 27th!

To answer the question, the call quality is awful. I feel like I can hear my own voice echoing back to me through the speaker, and it's very annoying. The volume of the caller's voice seems to drift in and out and frequently cuts out entirely for a few seconds. Verizon has always been great with reception, but it does not seem to me like the network is the issue...I think it's the hardware. Then again, I could be wrong.

That being said, I should clarify that, overall, I LOVE my Incredible. I switched from the HTC Droid Eris and the Incredible is a huge step up. It's SO snappy...the internet browsing is wicked fast, camera rocks, and I don't have many of the same problems that I had with my Eris. Some people have posted in other threads that the battery life is poor, but I think my Eris was much worse.

Definitely take it back to have them look at it. There have been a few others with sound issues and the way its described, it really is sounding like a hardware issue. Have them check it out.

c_law23

Reaction score
it's one of the clearest phones I've ever had to be honest. That was always my biggest gripe with the moto droid, and like mentioned already several people i talked to said i sounded much better then on the moto.

rushmore

Reaction score
Signal reception seems weaker in regards to coverage compared to the Droid (based on dB levels and performance of downloads in weaker areas). I tested both and have (for me) confirmed the Droid has better radio reception. Bittersweet for me, since I like the following over the Droid:

1. Fast without a need to root
2. Extra ram DOES make a difference
3. FM radio is more handy than I thought
4. Extra app space NOW, rather than waiting for it.
5. 6.6gb is handy for media (be MUCH better if non- OS apps could read it)
6. Sound quality from 3.5mm jack is better than Droid (clarity, depth of sound and volume).
7. In spite of lower apparent resolution than Droid, the vivid screen has grown on me.
8. Camera is a lot faster

Keeping the Inc for a few more weeks to see how much I will miss the game emulators (not many games very playable without KB) and if the radio reception is clarified / resolved. I think the issue is the Inc has an average radio and the Droid has an AMAZING radio (IMO).

added:

VZW coverage with Droid or Inc is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Tmo. Been with them seven years. Weak phone selection and even weaker coverage got very old.

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Signal reception seems weaker in regards to coverage compared to the Droid (based on dB levels and performance of downloads in weaker areas). I tested both and have (for me) confirmed the Droid has better radio reception. Bittersweet for me, since I like the following over the Droid:

6. Sound quality from 3.5mm jack is better than Droid (clarity, depth of sound and volume).
7. In spite of lower apparent resolution than Droid, the vivid screen has grown on me.

Keeping the Inc for a few more weeks to see how much I will miss the game emulators (not many games very playable without KB) and if the radio reception is clarified / resolved. I think the issue is the Inc has an average radio and the Droid has an AMAZING radio (IMO).

added:

VZW coverage with Droid or Inc is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Tmo. Been with them seven years. Weak phone selection and even weaker coverage got very old.
Are you actually seeing and hearing the reception being down or going by the signal bar. I can tell you from experience, the signal bar is WWWAAAAAYYYY off. I'm showing between one and two bars but with an actual signal of about -78 and better.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
U do need reception to download. Like at my desk with my Moto Droid, when trying to download I switch to 1x, and it takes for ever, sometimes stalling. I go in the hallway by the window, it switches to 3G and I download like I'm outside. Couple of Samsungs (one a smartphone) I had right b4 my Moto Droid, I had no service at my desk at all....... And I had to go to the top floor to get good download speeds. (I work on the 3rd fl, top fl., is the 6th) Same for placing/recieving calls & texts. (for that reason I will stay FAR AWAY from any Samsung phones from now on)

He mentioned the performance of downloads in weaker areas. (which to me is the BEST WAY to test reception/clarity: try to use your phone in weak areas.) Maybe him placing/receiving a call or text in those weaker areas woulda help?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
U do need reception to download. Like at my desk with my Moto Droid, when trying to download I switch to 1x, and it takes for ever, sometimes stalling. I go in the hallway by the window, it switches to 3G and I download like I'm outside. Couple of Samsungs (one a smartphone) I had right b4 my Moto Droid, I had no service at my desk at all....... And I had to go to the top floor to get good download speeds. (I work on the 3rd fl, top fl., is the 6th) Same for placing/recieving calls & texts. (for that reason I will stay FAR AWAY from any Samsung phones from now on)

He mentioned the performance of downloads in weaker areas. (which to me is the BEST WAY to test reception/clarity: try to use your phone in weak areas.) Maybe him placing/receiving a call or text in those weaker areas woulda help?
Just went back and saw that he had looked at the dB levels also. Oops. That sucks the reception is down from the Droid. Believe I've see a few people saying the HTC phones are known for being slightly weaker reception. Coming off my Imagio, also HTC, I've never had a milestone to set this phone against.

And with Motorola being so deep into radios and such, I'm not surprised the signal is stronger with them. They've been at this game a long time.

rushmore

Reaction score

added:

Are you actually seeing and hearing the reception being down or going by the signal bar. I can tell you from experience, the signal bar is WWWAAAAAYYYY off. I'm showing between one and two bars but with an actual signal of about -78 and better.

dB levels, since not sure bars have a standard used for dB correlation. Download speeds were slower and BB employees saw results too.

Reachout

Reaction score

added:

I guess since someones experience doesn't mirror yours it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong right? I have Verizon right now and I'm wondering what the fuss is about all of this extra coverage I'm supposed to be getting. I can't even upgrade to the incredible with all of these signal issues, I wouldn't get service in half of the places I go to.

Last edited:

bcrigler

Reaction score
To be honest I have seen nothing but improvements in call quality than the moto droid. My incredible has had no complaints from callers. The moto droid's call quality was terrible and that is why I got the incredible.