Call quality + reception

Reaction score
I am getting a phone for my second line on Verizon and was looking at the S4. I have read some reviews which say the voice quality on phone calls is poor at times and the radio doesn't always get a good reception.

It would be helpful to know if any of you on the Verizon network have issues with the voice quality with people hearing or vice versa on phone calls or with the signal.

Thanks

harrellj

Reaction score
Same, no problems on mine and I've been on speakerphone. I'm getting compliments on the quality vs my D1

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bbtkd

Reaction score
Same here, no issues. About the same call quality as my Bionic was, and signal level shows a higher signal level looking at db. Then again, I can go weeks with no voice calls.

Reaction score
I live in a major city and have definitely experienced call drops and reception issues. Have had both vzw and Samsung look at it and they both say nothing wrong with phone. My HTC rezound in same place has zero issues. That being said... It's no secret that Samsung has a rep for lower quality radios/reception so I knew that going in. The rest of this phone is nothing short of amazing, but be cautious because the reviews you have read are not dreamed up... They are reality.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have, between my wife and I, 3 phones, SGS3, SGS4 and LG Optimus G Pro, all on AT&T in the Atlanta area. All three have worked about the same. One call drop on the SGS4 that I can remember but stuff happens.

tc1

Reaction score
The radios seem a little weaker compared to Motorola phones. Not terrible but in my office my data radio usually drops to 3g where I used to stay in 4G.

But I'm in a 50+ year old building behind a a layer or 2 of cinder block walls.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am a little concerned about call quality as I make a lot of phone calls.

I find the DROID RAZR MAXX HD to be a great phone but the voice quality is not that great. Are there other Android phones on Verizon which have better voice quality and reception? I don't necessarily need some of the other features.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I didn't find the Maxx HD to have any voice issues with my short 2 week testing..I found it solid overall...If anything was a bit lacking it was the camera which is not a deal breaker for many people....

tc1

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am a little concerned about call quality as I make a lot of phone calls.

I find the DROID RAZR MAXX HD to be a great phone but the voice quality is not that great. Are there other Android phones on Verizon which have better voice quality and reception? I don't necessarily need some of the other features.

The actual call quality has been very good, very clear.. No dropped calls for me.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried talking on it using a wired headset?

I tried it with a wired headset in a verizon store but heard some static.

tc1

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Have you tried talking on it using a wired headset?

I tried it with a wired headset in a verizon store but heard some static.

Not wired but with a bt headset(LG tone +).

No static, very clear talking to my wife's s3.

Last edited:

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is one reason that some folks might wonder about the voice quality of the S4... The S3 and Note 2 both have Samsung specific chipsets which are known to have degraded audio on LTE. Samsung recognized this and opted to go with the Qualcomm chipset on the S4 (super good decision). So, the issues that the S4's little brothers had wont be an issue on this phone.

Edit: also wanted to throw in some personal perspective. I have had almost every VZW LTE device known to mankind in my hand at some point. My most recent phone was the Droid DNA, which had exceptional everything as well. I have the S4 that I used daily and LOVE the phone. I think it's the best phone to hit the market yet.

I am getting a phone for my second line on Verizon and was looking at the S4. I have read some reviews which say the voice quality on phone calls is poor at times and the radio doesn't always get a good reception.

It would be helpful to know if any of you on the Verizon network have issues with the voice quality with people hearing or vice versa on phone calls or with the signal.

Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wish I had the $$ to make the switch, but alas...I'm relegated to the Droid RAZR MAXX atm. I have played with the S4 and am genuinely impressed, but haven't had the opportunity to experience the phone quality so I can't speak to it. However, others (^ included) can attest to its' incorporation of the Qualcomm chipset and the benefits afforded by it. Qualcomm is an industry standard and they are an innovator in the cellular industry for a long time running. Recently they've introduced LTE-A (Advanced), incorporating the power of the Snapdragon 800 processor, to benefit from multi-channel simultaneous data transmission, thereby increasing the data throughput, while consuming no additional power on the Snapdragon processor, by utilizing an integrated multimode 3G/4G LTE modem without sacrificing battery life.

If you follow me, you may know me as somewhat of a "Motorola fanboy", to an extent... OK, to a great extent, however the SGS4 is certainly giving Motorola a run for the money in the cellular radio arena.