Call quality + reception

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Call quality has been consistent for me. I've been told by my friends and family that there is no noticeable dip in call quality (coming from the Bionic). I do, however, notice, that the signal tends to be a bit weaker in most areas. Never to the point that it effects me, but enough to notice.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Here is one reason that some folks might wonder about the voice quality of the S4... The S3 and Note 2 both have Samsung specific chipsets which are known to have degraded audio on LTE. Samsung recognized this and opted to go with the Qualcomm chipset on the S4 (super good decision). So, the issues that the S4's little brothers had wont be an issue on this phone.

Edit: also wanted to throw in some personal perspective. I have had almost every VZW LTE device known to mankind in my hand at some point. My most recent phone was the Droid DNA, which had exceptional everything as well. I have the S4 that I used daily and LOVE the phone. I think it's the best phone to hit the market yet.

That's very interesting to know. However I was curious if for a Verizon phone, the phone call audio is over CDMA and not LTE?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's very interesting to know. However I was curious if for a Verizon phone, the phone call audio is over CDMA and not LTE?

AFAIK, phone calls originate over CDMA (3G), and LTE is data only. I may be wrong but that's how I always believed it to be.

bbtkd

Reaction score
AFAIK, phone calls originate over CDMA (3G), and LTE is data only. I may be wrong but that's how I always believed it to be.

You are correct. The various providers are moving towards VOLTE (Voice over LTE). They have been testing for a long time and are working out quirks. Last I heard, the earliest we'll see a VZW VOLTE capability is late 2013. I have to suspect they will feel compelled to make this a desired feature so although existing phones should be able to get it with an update, they could use VOLTE to push new phones. VOLTE advantage is freeing up CDMA spectrum. Disadvantage is that you would hae no voice capability where there is 3g only. I suppose they could try to do VOLTE where it can, CDMA otherwise but that could be real challenging.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Does the Verizon version allow you to select 3G only instead of 4G? I saw some forums which talked about the phone switching continuously between 3G and 4G. If there is an option to choose 3G only in weaker reception areas, could help conserve batteries.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the Verizon version allow you to select 3G only instead of 4G? I saw some forums which talked about the phone switching continuously between 3G and 4G. If there is an option to choose 3G only in weaker reception areas, could help conserve batteries.

Yes, its called CDMA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Yes, its called CDMA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I think the setting is for choosing "CDMA/ LTE" - wouldn't that include 4G?

My question was if there was a way to make the phone only pull in 3G?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Since it's not available in the settings, you may have to search the market for a 4g widget. Usually those work in just disabling 4g and allowing 3g to be used.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am getting a phone for my second line on Verizon and was looking at the S4. I have read some reviews which say the voice quality on phone calls is poor at times and the radio doesn't always get a good reception.

It would be helpful to know if any of you on the Verizon network have issues with the voice quality with people hearing or vice versa on phone calls or with the signal.

Thanks
What did you say, can you hear me now, LOL. You still use the phone option:biggrin:, who uses their smartphone as a phone anymore, LOL. Seriously, the reception and call quality is fine on the S4, as was the case on the S3, I never had any issues, but as with any electronic device, you can get a bad one, no matter what manufacturer.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
What did you say, can you hear me now, LOL. You still use the phone option:biggrin:, who uses their smartphone as a phone anymore, LOL. Seriously, the reception and call quality is fine on the S4, as was the case on the S3, I never had any issues, but as with any electronic device, you can get a bad one, no matter what manufacturer.

That's hilarious! However, I think the phone call audio quality is not really a significant criteria these days and the focus is more on the data aspects of the phone.

It's good to know that the S4 has good audio quality as I am usually on my phone for a few hours everyday.

OP
curious_george
Reaction score
Since it's not available in the settings, you may have to search the market for a 4g widget. Usually those work in just disabling 4g and allowing 3g to be used.

I looked in the app store and saw a few apps which seemed to suggest that they do the job without digging through a menu. Is there a way to turn off 4G through the menu settings?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I looked in the app store and saw a few apps which seemed to suggest that they do the job without digging through a menu. Is there a way to turn off 4G through the menu settings?
I haven't found a way, but I don't need just 3g mode in my area either.

On my Nexus it was found in the same menu as what posted by Dalvik, but for some reason it looks like they got rid of just the CDMA option which would just be 3g.