Droid Call Quality

bigcurt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As I said in earlier threads, I am new to both Verizon and to smart phones in general. However, for some reason some of the people I am speaking to are reporting very pool call quality. Has anyone else ran into these problems? If so, is there any sort of fix for it to see if I can make it better? They seem to say that it sounds a little better when I am on speakerphone.

I have also already tried *228 or whatever and updated roaming things like Verizon told me to do.

Thanks a lot,
Curt

bassjason

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The person on the other end sounds perfect to me, but I often get complaints that I am hard to understand. I actually returned my first Droid because I thought there was something wrong with it, but by my 3rd one I realized it's not a fluke. Although there are apparently quite a few people that don't have any problems so who knows.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
Yes, I am not sure either but it does seem to be a problem.

Sitruss

Reaction score
go into the phone and dial ##PROGRAM, then go to Vocode and choose EVRC-B, then hit back until you're back in the menu and choose data rates. Select the first option in the submenu and scroll all the way down to the last option. It should be one hundred fifty something by one hundred fifty something. Go back to the homescreen and your phone will automatically reboot.

I think this should help with your call quality on the other end.

EDIT: after dialing ##PROGRAM, enter 000000 (six zeroes) for the SPC password.

srichter

Reaction score
a lot of people seem to have this issue that it sounds muffled to the person on the other end. ##program makes a little difference, but I still get complaints since i have changed Vocode to EVRC-B a month ago.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot more people do not seem to have the issue, but people don't come on to the forum to say "my phone works great."

I was talking to someone 1000 miles away yesterday and he had a Droid, I had a Droid and I could hear him crystal clear. Now that's not to say the OP isn't having an issue, I believe him/her when they say they do. But just like everything else this has been brought up many times before and most of us feel our phones work fine.

Try the ##program thing, if that doesn't help you can certainly return your Droid for another.

crspang

Reaction score
The problem is the noise cancellation software. I've said this many times on this forum, if you don't speak clearly and CLOSELY into the mic the phone assumes your voice is background noise and tries to cancel it out, resulting in a muffled voice.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
The problem is the noise cancellation software. I've said this many times on this forum, if you don't speak clearly and CLOSELY into the mic the phone assumes your voice is background noise and tries to cancel it out, resulting in a muffled voice.

Thanks everyone. What will the ##program thing do? It won't mess up my signal or anything will it? I like how fast my connection is and all that. Also, could the problem be my case? I have the awful clear snap-on cover from Verizon and it seems to block the microphone at the bottom and the thing at the back as well.

Thanks again,
Curt

kasch18

Reaction score
I've noticed the exact opposite and think the call quality is excellent. In fact, I think the speakerphone is one of the best I've used. I use it when it is mounted on my windshield and people on the other end have no idea they are even on speakerphone.

cpinto

Reaction score
I've noticed the exact opposite and think the call quality is excellent. In fact, I think the speakerphone is one of the best I've used. I use it when it is mounted on my windshield and people on the other end have no idea they are even on speakerphone.

Yes, the speaker and ear piece is just fine. The problem is the outgoing voice quality. Mine is terrible as well, and I have tried all the tricks.

The only answer is to talk loud.

I love my droid, but hate talking on it.

raven1911

Reaction score
Anyone still experience the echo despite the 2.1 OTA?? It doesn't happen every single time I use the phone but pretty often. I have manually changed the call quality to no avail.

riggz

Reaction score
I still get poor call quality and echo occasionally. I'm about fed up with this junk. Great phone but if it can't make calls, what's the point.

GatorDroid

Reaction score
I have a unique problem with call quality since update. When I answer the phone i can barely hear the person on the other end, but they here me fine. I turn up the volume and no change. I switch speaker phone "on" , then "off" and everything sounds normal again. Happens about1 every 15 incoming calls. Anyone else?

srichter

Reaction score
A lot more people do not seem to have the issue, but people don't come on to the forum to say "my phone works great."

I was talking to someone 1000 miles away yesterday and he had a Droid, I had a Droid and I could hear him crystal clear. Now that's not to say the OP isn't having an issue, I believe him/her when they say they do. But just like everything else this has been brought up many times before and most of us feel our phones work fine.

Try the ##program thing, if that doesn't help you can certainly return your Droid for another.

It does seem to be a common problem, otherwise there would not be hundreds of posts about the issue. However, i get no comlaints with Droid to Droid calling either... and it always sound perfect on my end.

Here's what solved the problem for meand some of my friends with droids. 1) ##program. 2) turn off voice privacy in settings (that alone did it for most people). If that doesn't do it, also flash the new basevand v.03. Hope this works for you guys, it did for me, no more complaints...