Droid Call Quality

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by bigcurt, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bigcurt

bigcurt New Member

Hi everyone,

As I said in earlier threads, I am new to both Verizon and to smart phones in general. However, for some reason some of the people I am speaking to are reporting very pool call quality. Has anyone else ran into these problems? If so, is there any sort of fix for it to see if I can make it better? They seem to say that it sounds a little better when I am on speakerphone.

I have also already tried *228 or whatever and updated roaming things like Verizon told me to do.

Thanks a lot,
    Curt
  2. bassjason

bassjason New Member

I have the same problem. The person on the other end sounds perfect to me, but I often get complaints that I am hard to understand. I actually returned my first Droid because I thought there was something wrong with it, but by my 3rd one I realized it's not a fluke. Although there are apparently quite a few people that don't have any problems so who knows.
  3. bigcurt

bigcurt New Member

Yes, I am not sure either but it does seem to be a problem.
  4. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

go into the phone and dial ##PROGRAM, then go to Vocode and choose EVRC-B, then hit back until you're back in the menu and choose data rates. Select the first option in the submenu and scroll all the way down to the last option. It should be one hundred fifty something by one hundred fifty something. Go back to the homescreen and your phone will automatically reboot.

I think this should help with your call quality on the other end.

EDIT: after dialing ##PROGRAM, enter 000000 (six zeroes) for the SPC password.
  5. srichter

srichter New Member

a lot of people seem to have this issue that it sounds muffled to the person on the other end. ##program makes a little difference, but I still get complaints since i have changed Vocode to EVRC-B a month ago.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

A lot more people do not seem to have the issue, but people don't come on to the forum to say "my phone works great."

I was talking to someone 1000 miles away yesterday and he had a Droid, I had a Droid and I could hear him crystal clear. Now that's not to say the OP isn't having an issue, I believe him/her when they say they do. But just like everything else this has been brought up many times before and most of us feel our phones work fine.

Try the ##program thing, if that doesn't help you can certainly return your Droid for another.
  7. crspang

crspang New Member

The problem is the noise cancellation software. I've said this many times on this forum, if you don't speak clearly and CLOSELY into the mic the phone assumes your voice is background noise and tries to cancel it out, resulting in a muffled voice.
  8. bigcurt

bigcurt New Member

Thanks everyone. What will the ##program thing do? It won't mess up my signal or anything will it? I like how fast my connection is and all that. Also, could the problem be my case? I have the awful clear snap-on cover from Verizon and it seems to block the microphone at the bottom and the thing at the back as well.

Thanks again,
    Curt
  9. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Try rebooting at least every 3 days.
  10. kasch18

kasch18 New Member

I've noticed the exact opposite and think the call quality is excellent. In fact, I think the speakerphone is one of the best I've used. I use it when it is mounted on my windshield and people on the other end have no idea they are even on speakerphone.
  11. cpinto

cpinto Member

Yes, the speaker and ear piece is just fine. The problem is the outgoing voice quality. Mine is terrible as well, and I have tried all the tricks.

The only answer is to talk loud.

I love my droid, but hate talking on it.
  12. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

Anyone still experience the echo despite the 2.1 OTA?? It doesn't happen every single time I use the phone but pretty often. I have manually changed the call quality to no avail.
  13. riggz

riggz New Member

I still get poor call quality and echo occasionally. I'm about fed up with this junk. Great phone but if it can't make calls, what's the point.
  14. GatorDroid

GatorDroid New Member

I have a unique problem with call quality since update. When I answer the phone i can barely hear the person on the other end, but they here me fine. I turn up the volume and no change. I switch speaker phone "on" , then "off" and everything sounds normal again. Happens about1 every 15 incoming calls. Anyone else?
  15. srichter

srichter New Member

It does seem to be a common problem, otherwise there would not be hundreds of posts about the issue. However, i get no comlaints with Droid to Droid calling either... and it always sound perfect on my end.

Here's what solved the problem for meand some of my friends with droids. 1) ##program. 2) turn off voice privacy in settings (that alone did it for most people). If that doesn't do it, also flash the new basevand v.03. Hope this works for you guys, it did for me, no more complaints...
  16. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

What does the data rate change do? And what is data rate?
  17. emm

emm New Member

Verizon replaced my phone today

I'm glad to see this forum as I was having trouble with people hearing
    me but I could hear them clearly. Finally, I was talking to tech
    support with some questions about my bill and she said" I can't hear
    you, this is terrible" so she got me to someone who sent me to the
    store for a replacement phone. I'm anxious to try it out tommorrow
    calling folks that complained.

The guy at the store said there is a problem sometimes with faulty
    microphones. If this doesn't do the trick I will try some of the other solutions here. thanks everyone
  18. Ambulance Dude

Ambulance Dude New Member

Well the only problem I have is when I try to put it against my shoulder while trying to use both hands. My wife says it sounds like a garbled mess, but when I hold it correctly, it is crystal clear.
  19. givequicheachance

givequicheachance New Member

My wife says the exact same thing. I think it's something to do with the noise cancelling.
  20. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

Also, always make sure that the noise cancellation microphone on the rear top center of the phone isn't covered. When looking at the back of the phone, it appears to be a tiny notch just to the right of the headphone jack. Some cases cover it and that can cause problems with call quality.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 voice quality
droid a855 reception

motorola a855 call quality

people keep getting a busy signal when calling my droid x2

why cant i talk on my droid a 855