Droid to Droid Call Quality

DiscoStu65

Reaction score
I've got an Eris Driod. My buddy has the Motorola Droid. I can barely hear a word he says on the phone, definitely sounds like he's muted through a pillow. He seems to be able to hear me fine. Haven't heard any complaints from anyone else either.

As far as hearing other people (for the most part), my Eris is far superior to any of my previous phones (Razr, Envy, etc.)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
My brother just got his Droid yesterday. He called me on his way over (I was going to root his phone for him) and the call was very clear. His comment when he arrived at my house was on how great the phone sounded just making calls.

So Droid to Droid for me has been great, no muffled poor sound at all.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my wife's droid. She says there isn't any issues but I'm having an extremely hard time hearing her. I personally think it might be related to the body glove cover we have for it. She bought some cute but cheap cover for the phone that it so poorly made that it covered up the mike. She tried to cut a notch out, like the body glove has, it helped but not much. The case broke after a week and she got the body glove. But the problem returns. I think it's partly the way she holds the phone but I think the mike gets blocked by the cover.

Reaction score
Also someone mentioned a noise cancel mike? I didn't know droid had one. Where is it located and will a body glove case block it?

mrdroid

Reaction score
I have a Droid, my dad has a Droid, when we talk it's crystal clear.

You haven't experienced bad call quality until you've owned a Blackberry.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Also someone mentioned a noise cancel mike? I didn't know droid had one. Where is it located and will a body glove case block it?

It's on the back just below and to the right of the headphone jack. Just a tiny opening between the case and the rubber strip.

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's on the back just below and to the right of the headphone jack. Just a tiny opening between the case and the rubber strip.

Yep, it's a squarish hole, and some cases don't have a hole in them for it. Seidio actually redid their case backs to include a hole for this.

Reaction score
Yep. I found it. And no the body glove case doesn't have a hole for it. May have to look at the siedio cases. I like the protection offered by the body glove, but I don't like the bulk nor do I like black. So I may have to look into it.

OP
I

iceisles

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm still dealing with this Droid to Droid issue. My wife and I both removed our cases (they are Seidios with the cutout on the back) and there was no improvement.

Verizon's second-level support suggested that some towers are having difficulty with Droids communicating with each other. I'm not a tech and don't know what specifics would make this so, but the rep. stated that I wasn't the only one reporting this issue.

It's frustrating because everyone else I call sounds crystal clear and vice versa, and that's true whether it's a landline or cell. One would assume that a conversation with the exact same phone model would be perfect, but mine is passable at best, and occasionally downright terrible.

I hoped that 2.1 would fix this issue, but it has not. The initial advice about the noise-cancelling mic made a lot of sense, but my wife and I have made sure we aren't covering this and still notice muffled voices when calling each other. If this keeps up, she's volunteered to swap her Droid with any other model of phone that allows us to have a clear conversation.

mcumeda

Reaction score
Turning off voice privacy and switching to ERVC-B worked for me. People used to complain that I sounded muffled a couple of times a week. After I switched the settings, I haven't gotten a complaint yet. I switched over a month or two ago.

OP
I

iceisles

Reaction score
Turning off voice privacy and switching to ERVC-B worked for me. People used to complain that I sounded muffled a couple of times a week. After I switched the settings, I haven't gotten a complaint yet. I switched over a month or two ago.

While this works for some, many find no improvement with these suggestions. Is there any technical reason why two Droids calling each other would sound so poor? Is there any credence to a tower issue, as was suggested by the VZW rep. I spoke with?

Omega384

Reaction score
I dont think its a Droid to Droid thing.. I'm pretty sure its just a Droid thing. My brother has talked to me from his droid and it sounded like **** (as many have said about mine) both while on my droid and on my landline. Its an in-and-out sorta muffled thing that I hope is just a software fix away from being cured, but if it is in fact a shotty hardware issue I will be kinda pissed. Ive been loving my droid for about 6 months now, but everytime someone calls me and tells me "what the hell is wrong with your phone" it does get me aggravated lol.