Droid to Droid Call Quality

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by iceisles, Mar 22, 2010.

1. iceisles

iceisles New Member

For those of you who have used your Droid to call another Droid, how has your call quality been? For me, it's downright terrible. It sounds like the other party is talking through a pillow. You'd think having the same phones in a conversation would be crystal clear, but that's not what I've witnessed.

VZW is working on my tower issue, and I have noticed an improvement with calls to pretty much all non-Droid users. But, since I most-often call my wife, this problem is still annoying.

If you are also experiencing call quality problems with D2D, let me know what solutions (if any) you've found. Thanks.
  2. Sweet Kitten Feet

Sweet Kitten Feet New Member

Most of the time it's perfect when I call my wife. She has a tendency to cradle the phone with her shoulder and either her hair muffles the sound and she presses the mic right up against her face, covers it with a finger, etc. When she holds it properly it sounds great.
  3. rap4974

rap4974 New Member

No problem here even using bluetooth
  4. hippyfish

hippyfish New Member

My wife has a Droid as well and we've not noticed any serious ongoing issues.

Occasionally there has been some static in the background, but this is usually just me being in a less than perfectly covered area.
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
  6. eliassami5

eliassami5 New Member

its not the DROID to DROID issue, its the person using the DROID. You need to hold this phone a certain way or else you will sound muffled. Ask your wife to move the phone around when shes talking, move the mic closer to her mouth or move the mic farther away. Once you find the sweet spot then she just has to learn to talk on the phone that way. She might also be covering her noise canceling mic on the rear of the phone, its under the headphone jack so make sure she isnt covering it up.
  7. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Bad droid outgoing call quality has cleared up for me by turning on speakerphone. People who use a bluetooth headset will not experience this issue. The solution for me has been to reboot every 3 days. No more complaints! Waiting for 2.1...
  8. Hearnmeister

Hearnmeister New Member

Calling issues

Whenever I call without a headset, somehow my face either mutes the phone, hits the dial pad, or maybe the search button...I don't know if I'm holding it wrong or what, but it sure is frustrating!!! Any help out there? Also, rebooting..is that a battery pull??

Thanks!!
  9. droidemere

droidemere New Member

That's funny..the only time I ever notice bad call quality is when I call someone who is also using a Droid.
  10. dro

dro New Member

I also experience horrible call quality with my girlfriend who also has a Droid, all other calls are exceptional. Funny you posted this, I was just starting to wonder if any else had this problem. My girlfriend sounds muffled, sometimes can not even make out what she is saying. Half the time I even hear my voice echo back through the Droid, it is really annoying! This only happens while calling my girlfriends Droid, I do not know anyone else lucky enough to have one so I can not confirm anything. I experience the same issues with and without the voice quality fix.
  11. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

Same with my gf and I. She often sounds incredibly muffled to me on her Droid. We've actually narrowed down the cause relatively precisely to A. poor reception in her house and B. the case on her phone that obstructs one of the noise-canceling mics on the back. Any of you having this issue, if the person whose speaking sounds muffled has a case on their phone, have them take it off and see if quality improves.
  12. lockman

lockman New Member

Spectacular.
  13. Siccmade

Siccmade New Member

I just made a new thread asking this same stuff. I can talk to any one on any cell phone and it sounds good but when i talk to some one on a droid it sounds muffled it sucks, whats the deal
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I talked to my wife several times today on her Droid and it's crystal clear. What's the story? It's the same story you hear on every smart phone made. It's the same story that's been done at least 20 times in this forum. It's what is perceived by the user.

Now that's not calling anybody a liar or blaming them for user error. But just as many people will tell you it's great sound quality as you have saying it's bad.
  15. Siccmade

Siccmade New Member

Phone sounds great when talking to any other cell phone just not when talking droid to droid
  16. DiscoStu65

DiscoStu65 New Member

I've got an Eris Driod. My buddy has the Motorola Droid. I can barely hear a word he says on the phone, definitely sounds like he's muted through a pillow. He seems to be able to hear me fine. Haven't heard any complaints from anyone else either.

As far as hearing other people (for the most part), my Eris is far superior to any of my previous phones (Razr, Envy, etc.)
  17. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

My brother just got his Droid yesterday. He called me on his way over (I was going to root his phone for him) and the call was very clear. His comment when he arrived at my house was on how great the phone sounded just making calls.

So Droid to Droid for me has been great, no muffled poor sound at all.
  18. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers New Member

I'm having the same issue with my wife's droid. She says there isn't any issues but I'm having an extremely hard time hearing her. I personally think it might be related to the body glove cover we have for it. She bought some cute but cheap cover for the phone that it so poorly made that it covered up the mike. She tried to cut a notch out, like the body glove has, it helped but not much. The case broke after a week and she got the body glove. But the problem returns. I think it's partly the way she holds the phone but I think the mike gets blocked by the cover.
  19. nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers New Member

Also someone mentioned a noise cancel mike? I didn't know droid had one. Where is it located and will a body glove case block it?
  20. mrdroid

mrdroid New Member

I have a Droid, my dad has a Droid, when we talk it's crystal clear.

You haven't experienced bad call quality until you've owned a Blackberry.
Search tags for this page
call quality droid razr m
call quality of razer m
d2d call handler
d2d call handler on droid phone
droid dna incoming calls muffled

droid razr call quality

droid razr m call quality

microphone muffled on motorola razor m
motorola razr m muffled call
motorola razr m voice muffled during call
motorola razr outgoing calls are muffled