Call Quality? Report, if you please.

pmas

Reaction score
To be honest I have seen nothing but improvements in call quality than the moto droid. My incredible has had no complaints from callers. The moto droid's call quality was terrible and that is why I got the incredible.

The call quality is perfect. My moto Droid had static if I had any lower than full bars. The Incredible is so quiet and static free that I forgot how a phone call should be. If there is a moment of silence in the conversation, I find myself asking the person "are you there" cause its so quiet it seems like the call is lost. Also, if you use a car bluetooth, the Droid was unusable if you were in motion. Road noise, even rain hitting the car and wipers were heard by the other party. And I have a very quiet vehicle. No problems with the Incredible.

Acid7711

Reaction score
My call quality on both ends is hands down the best between the moto and the incredible droid versions. I can hear sooooo much more crisper, people's voices sound more 'real' as they do in face to face, it's just all around better...........at least for me.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm with everyone else. The call quality is actually unlike any I've had on a phone before. I've actually had cases where I've had to ask people if they were still on the line because the phone got so quiet when they weren't speaking. I have been amazed.

Retire36

Reaction score
I have been pleased with reception. I live in a bad verizon area and this phone is getting better reception than any of my several verizon phones.

I really am happy with the speaker playing Pandora!

jamjr74

Reaction score
My quality is better in the HTC than it was in my Moto. No more complaints from people on the other end!

R24D24

Reaction score
Mine is better then with my droid if that helps any.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
My Inc quality wise sounds about the same as my Droid.

As far as signal strength, there is definitely a bug that needs to be worked out.

Before I wiped my Droid I took both phones outside of my house, the Inc was showing -84dBm and the Droid -87dBm. The Inc had better signal, yet was bouncing between one and two bars, where as the Droid was at full signal.

There's definitely something wrong with how the Inc "sees" signal strength. Right now in my room it's at -104dBm, which isn't great but my Droid would be around the same and show good service. Where as my Inc is saying in that the five and half minutes it's been unplugged its been without service 99% of the time.

If this doesn't get fixed quick, I see this being a HUGE battery waster.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
You missed the other thread about the signal bars. The way its acting is as programmed. HTC says it does what it does as a power saving feature. Watch when you place a call. Typically the bars jump up on calls as it locks onto a signal. Not sure how much power it saves, but they said it is completely intentional.

So essentially, it knows there is service, just not wasting the power showing it. Annoying but you get used to it. I don't even go by the signal meter anymore. Just trust that you have service and you'll be good.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
You missed the other thread about the signal bars. The way its acting is as programmed. HTC says it does what it does as a power saving feature. Watch when you place a call. Typically the bars jump up on calls as it locks onto a signal. Not sure how much power it saves, but they said it is completely intentional.

So essentially, it knows there is service, just not wasting the power showing it. Annoying but you get used to it. I don't even go by the signal meter anymore. Just trust that you have service and you'll be good.

Ok, must have missed that one.

However, when I go into battery usage and my up time off the charger is just about 3 hours and cell standby says I've spent 96% of that time without a signal, that says to me there is something wrong with the way it works.

Anywho, this will be my first full day with the Inc, so we'll see how well the battery does.

Aluminum21

Reaction score
I think it has been fantastic so far, a little better then Moto Droid for me

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
Im not sure its better than the Droid. I say "what" a lot, I just noticed. I don't know if its da inc or the other end.

robdroid

Reaction score
I've read a couple of early reviews on the geek sites that suggest that call quality may be an issue. Could you lucky ducks with an Incredible in-hand already please let us know about what you are getting, from both ends of conversation? Let's take an informal poll as the phones get out there...

I'll be curious to hear, also. I've actually read the opposite of you, that the call quality was actually very good.

Doesn't matter, who's getting this for the phone? Let's be honest, we're getting this to screw around on the net. :D

I read a casual mention elsewhere first (can't find that one) and then I read this more detailed critique:

HTC Droid Incredible Review - Call Quality, Battery Life, Verdict

And, for me, call quality is very important too. I only carry one device usually. And I need a good cell phone, especially when I'm out of town. But yes, the bells and whistles are really what matters or I'd still have my old dumb flip phone! :)

Hi guys! I will tell you I am happy with my Incredible's sound quality. You will hear some say they have fewer bars then there used to and i agree with that yet i keep in calls and the sound is good both ways! As a side note I use a Plantronics Blue Tooth ear phone and it sounds so solid too with lil background noise. http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/mobile/bluetooth-headsets/voyager-pro

jasonb

Reaction score
didn't read the whole thread, but call quality has been great so far for me. even at home where i get not so good coverage. not a single dropped call yet and everything has been pretty clear.

feenix

Reaction score
My Incredible usually shows 1 bar at my home. I was originally very concerned by this. I've found it is strictly a software inaccuracy, not an actual reflection of your true signal strength.
I live in Southern California, so to put my phone to the test, I called a friend, and talked to him through some of the canyons here, that I know are weak signal areas, (Laural Cyn, Mulholland Dr., ect.). The phone had as good or better reception than my previous phone, (LG Chocolate 2) which was a stud in these areas, and even "Dead Zones."
I was showing 2-4 bars going through these canyons. Like you, I need this phone to NOT drop calls, as it is my business phone.
I'm happy to report I've not dropped a single call with it.

The phone is un-rivaled feature wise, but after all, it's a phone first.

My only suggestion is if you NEED a slide out qwerty, check the Motorola Droid, which also get good call quality. If a slide out is not necessary for you, The Incredible is much faster, easier to handle, much better camera, and for me personally my choice.

Good luck. You'll be happy with this phone.

Feel free to write me if you have any more questions about this phone.

Ian

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
Im not sure its better than the Droid. I say "what" a lot, I just noticed. I don't know if its da inc or the other end.

haha quoting myself.. i just got off the phone with someone on a landline.. and the call quality was Perfect.. crystal clear..

my call quality seems bad when i talk to my buddy who has a Moto Droid.. im always asking what the heck hes saying.. or my ex gf on at&t iphone..

INC to Landline.. call quality is money.. seems like a land to land call.. imo

dancedroid