Buy the TB now or wait for the Bionic or SG2?

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Hacks' started by otter34, Jun 12, 2011.

1. otter34

otter34 New Member

Decisions, decisions. My contract is up in August, by g/f is due for an upgrade now
  2. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Wait

Sent from my fascinate
  3. Stelv

Stelv New Member

what do you have now for a phone?

Sent from my fascinate
  4. otter34

otter34 New Member

Droid 1, rooted
  5. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Definitely wait. Way better stuff on the horizon. Just be patient.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  6. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

OP I would seriously wait for the SG2. If vzw dont take away any of the features it will be the best phone on vzw network.
  7. otter34

otter34 New Member

I suppose you're all right :-(. I'd just hate to wait 3 months and find out it doesn't have 4g or that VZ raised the price of unlimited data.
  8. otter34

otter34 New Member

Ah screw it. I'm going to get the bolt w/ her upgrade and if I want I can get the sg2 w/ my upgrade in a few months :).

So I'm going to give her my rooted D1 and take the bolt. At VZW they're going to activate her t'bolt under her phone number. How do I go about making the switch once I get home? Do I have to unroot my D1 and have her log in? Or do I just not have her activate the t'bolt at vzw?
  9. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I am not sure. You prolly want vzw to activate the tb with your number in store. Then have her call vzw to activate droid 1. Dont let them see d1 in store if it is rooted. But honestly I would still wait, u may be disappointed with tb. I don't have one so I cant judge it, but it has a super small battery in it.

Sent from my fascinate
  10. leonozug

leonozug New Member

You know, just because you have an available upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade. I don't know why people are always in a huge rush. I was available for an upgrade last September from my OG Droid and I still haven't used it. I bought a Droid X on Ebay and activated it myself on my line to hold me over until the Bionic(or the GS2)comes out. I WAS going to get a Bolt, but I'm glad I didn't. Quite a few friends of mine got one and wish they didn't. Terrible battery life.
  11. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I did the same thing. Have had an upgrade available for a while. Bought a fascinate on ebay to hold me over till something with good specs comes out.

Sent from my fascinate
  12. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I have the same situation... two upgrades available, was getting bored with my rooted d1, almost sprung for the tbolt but got an incredible off eBay to hold me over while I wait.

If you get tbolt or something to hold you over, you can do as stelv suggested... have Verizon activated the tbolt in store on your number. Your rooted d1 can be activated for your gf from home by calling *228, option 1 and follow the prompts. It is exactly what I did... activated my incredible in store and then activated my rooted d1 for my son's line using *228. Very simple.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums
  13. otter34

otter34 New Member

Thanks. I already activated her on the bolt. Maybe ill let her keep it lol. She is now understanding how great Droid is instead of giving me about always playing with my phone. I forgot to mention she had a motor q that needed replacing
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011
  14. AlexSB

AlexSB New Member

Is the SG2 coming to verizon? I know it's headed to att for sure

AWESOMEbolt
  15. Stelv

Stelv New Member

There is no telling what verizon will do. Samsung said it will release a variant on all carriers. It is said to be coming to verizon as the samsung function. There is no further info on it I believe. Vzw is usually the last to get tech. They could also just tell samsung they dont want the phone. Lets hope we hear some info soon, cuz blur on the bionic is not going to cut it for me.

Sent from my fascinate
  16. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

there are new phones eventually coming, but has anyone here given you a time frame? Its pure speculation at this point. Yeah..sure...s2 comes Q3...really, how do they know that.

The bolt is a great phone. If you notice on the forums the people who seem to have all the problems are people who dont know much about their own phones. Just head over to xda developers website and join. Keep up with the latest info on the bolt.

There are already tons of great roms out for the bolt. GB, sense 3.0..and plenty of froyo roms as well. really great stuff that a sammy wont have for a while.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  17. bL33d

bL33d Member

Its not like we are useing apple devices there is a newer better android device every month so waiting is somethign u can do forever as there is allways something better coming out.

U have to think things out i bought a thunderbolt but i did so with my CC then sold my mint droid x for $250 the thunderbolt was $360 mint off ebay so it cost me $110 and no contract extension to upgrade.
  18. Make MC TW

Make MC TW New Member

If u gonna wait for smth better u not gonna be able to upgrade EVER there's always smth better out there .I had my upgrade available since September 2010 got the tbolt no regrets so far its a new phone on the new 4G network so a few bugs here n there are acceptable the phone is the fastest one I ever had even stock so no need for dual core etc . By the time bionic comes out there gonna be quad core phones on the horizon and etc so u will continue waiting what's the point ? Just get a tbolt and enjoy the best phone ever

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  19. wesdo2gg

wesdo2gg New Member

I did the exact same thing. I had an iPhone 3GS that I used for years but kept it in an otterbox. I sold it for $200 and sold a fully cased Droid X for $250. I walked in the verizon store after selling both of them and bought a TB. I have an upgrade in OCT so we'll see what happening with devices around that time.

And to keep this thread on track, I would go ahead and get the TB. I hadn't planned on giving up my DX, but once I found out my data discounts applied to 4G, it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. I'm a huge fan of my TB, in case you can't tell.
  20. Xerrus

Xerrus New Member

You may want to hop on board the 4G train now with one of the current devices...rumor is tiered data is on the horizon (July 7th)
Search tags for this page

buy thunderbolt display or wait for new model