Bionic Software Update

ses020570

Reaction score
Hi All -

New to the Bionic arena. Is the Bionic scheduled to receive an update any time soon? Each time I go to settings->about phone->system update = I am told it is unavailable at this time and to try again later. I have been receiving this message for days now.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Just looking for some help.

Thanks much!

Sean

Tyler_C

Reaction score
Not in the near future. As far as I know the next update will be ICS in March

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
S

ses020570

Reaction score
I have 5.5.886.XT875. Is this the most recent? I have received nothing OTA.

bigkhan

Reaction score
Do you have the original Sim card in? Had the same thing happen to me. It was because I didn't have the original Sim. What you'll need to do to get your phone to connect to the update system is a full reset. Actually I had to do it two times. After I reset my phone still woulden't install the update. I was able to download it, just couldn't install. Then when Verizon sent me my replacement, again it woulden't connect. Reset the new phone and I was able to download and install.

bigkhan

Reaction score
5.5.893 is the newest official release.

OP
S

ses020570

Reaction score
How do I get it if when I check system updates I keep receiving the message that it is unavailable?

bigkhan

Reaction score
Your not connecting to there system. you will need to do a rest on your phone. then it will connect and allow you to download the update. I just went through it last week.

OP
S

ses020570

Reaction score
Going to give it a shot now. Hitting the factory reset button as we speak..... Keep your fingers crossed this works. Why they have to make things so difficiult, I will never know.

OP
S

ses020570

Reaction score
seems to have worked. now downloading the software update. thanks for the tip - otherwise, I wouldn't have known what to do!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Glad to see motor is sending updates..bootloader may remain locked for now. I'm just happy Motorola is racking the updates across their devices...peace!

Tapped via Motorola Droid Razr!
Peace!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
To the OP; glad you got the 5.5.893 update. Others have had the problem and some had solved it by powering down and removing the sim card. Then they replaced the battery and powered back up without the sim card. Then finally they powered down and replaced the card. But if the factory reset worked for you, that's good.

A bit about OTA updates.

First they are RANDOM; so random; so random that if you bought 2 Bionics at the same time, one could get the update long before the other.

Second is that they are mandatory (unless you're rooted and can get around it). When you see a notification to download (or install) and decline, it'll ask again in an hour.

Third is that they can arrive in the background. What you'd see is a notification that it's been downloaded and if you want to install it now (rather than download and install).

And finally, when you check for an update, you are pinging the carrier, who checks to see if you're scheduled to receive it. If you are, then you'll get notice that an update is available to download. This means that if you're scheduled to get the update on, say, January 25 at 3:47am, you're phone will say that it's "up to date" despite the fact that others on this forum had been getting it since the 16th. In your case, you were unable to ping the carrier.

One final note; you'll probably see some threads about update 5.9.901. This was an update that went to a couple of dozen people and that was it. However, it was captured so if you're inclined to do so, you can install it manually. Lots of posts on how to do that. Just read the threads if you want to do the install.

Last edited: