my bionic gets slower and slower

JaxGuyWestside

Reaction score
I'm noticing each day my bionic gets slower. Most apps "stop responding"and nothing I've done seems to help.

Things I've done:
Updated to ics
factory reset
Cleared the system cache several times
Developer options have been set to .5x
Rebooting multiple times each day

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas on what the issue may be or how to resolve it??

Thanks!

Natey2

Reaction score
Sounds like a resource leak. Have you taken a look at the logcat when the phone is sluggish to see if processes are dieing repeatedly?
If you reboot, does the phone appear ok for at least a while?

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I'm experiencing the same problem. I've done all the same steps as the OP (except setting dev options), but to no avail. For me, a reboot does solve things, at least for a little while.

I haven't dug into it a whole lot (it's annoying, but not that annoying). I was beginning to suspect my memory card, and was going to try wiping it or putting in another one to see if that helped.

Jazzbone

Reaction score
exact same as OP.. This sux... Had this bionic running so smooth before ICS... Almost every app has to force close or just hangs now... I used to pull this phone out and be able to do anything fast smooth and successful.. now its just a frustrating embarrassment to use...

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
mine hangs up way too much lately.. there are times when I'm opening a few windows on chrome and the phone just reboots itself.... I'm still in ics .232 because I've been lazy to upgrade.. cleared cache and davlik cache many times with an occasional battery pull... at times these processes lag for seconds- opening text messages, clicking the call button, or opening apps

I haven't factory reset and I wont

I know there's manual fixes but we should have to do it.. it sucks the phone doesn't work like it should and I haven't tried fixing it because I'm working on getting a note 2 and throwing out this pos

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

tbrand68

Reaction score
Mine does (did) this a lot under .232... when I updated to the official ICS, it fixed it immediately... for a time... then it started slowing down again...as an experiment, I FXB back to stock ICS (Official) and didn't install any apps...other than the ones that come with ICS.... worked great for 3 weeks...then started slowing down again. I've recently installed one of the ICS roms based off of the official ICS and again, it worked great for a couple weeks then starting to slow down again. SO I just reflashed, installed all that I wanted...got it set up the way I like, and did a backup... now when it starts to slow down, I restore the backup... pain in the ass, but I do like me a zippy phone. I have about 5 months left before I can update...the only thing that might keep me with the Bionic is all my accessories (yes, I actually like my webtop and car mount) and I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data... if anyone finds a fix, I'd love to hear about it....

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I was just offered a swap from my bionic to a razr. Should I take it?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine does (did) this a lot under .232... when I updated to the official ICS, it fixed it immediately... for a time... then it started slowing down again...as an experiment, I FXB back to stock ICS (Official) and didn't install any apps...other than the ones that come with ICS.... worked great for 3 weeks...then started slowing down again. I've recently installed one of the ICS roms based off of the official ICS and again, it worked great for a couple weeks then starting to slow down again. SO I just reflashed, installed all that I wanted...got it set up the way I like, and did a backup... now when it starts to slow down, I restore the backup... pain in the ass, but I do like me a zippy phone. I have about 5 months left before I can update...the only thing that might keep me with the Bionic is all my accessories (yes, I actually like my webtop and car mount) and I'm grandfathered in on unlimited data... if anyone finds a fix, I'd love to hear about it....

thats probably the long and tedious route I would've went but I'm not looking to dedicate that kinda time right now

I was just offered a swap from my bionic to a razr. Should I take it?

depends on what u need... I personally wouldn't because I have an extended battery on the bionic and the razr wouldn't get me out of work before needing a charge

dberthia

Reaction score
My Bionic was grinding to a halt as well. I read a post somewhere that said going into developer options and setting "window animation scale" and "transition animation scale" to .5x would help. I tried it and the phone is much snappier. I was skeptical, but it's made a big difference.

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Bionic was grinding to a halt as well. I read a post somewhere that said going into developer options and setting "window animation scale" and "transition animation scale" to .5x would help. I tried it and the phone is much snappier. I was skeptical, but it's made a big difference.

I just changed them.. is that slowing those processes down? my settings were on 1x before I went to .5x.... I'll give it a try before altering anything else

wilkster

Reaction score
Mine was doing this also. If you are rooted two things may help:
1. Freeze as much bloat as you can. Tibu can freeze the additional Verizon bloat that ics can't
2. Use autostarts or similar and disable receivers for apps that cause them to start after boot or on a widget update when you know you won't be using them.

I came to these conclusions after monitoring the event log and watching app after app being killed and restarted all the time. Especially after coming out of standby.

Also make sure you don't have rouge apps by using systempanel or something similar to monitor CPU usage.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing this also. If you are rooted two things may help:
1. Freeze as much bloat as you can. Tibu can freeze the additional Verizon bloat that ics can't
2. Use autostarts or similar and disable receivers for apps that cause them to start after boot or on a widget update when you know you won't be using them.

I came to these conclusions after monitoring the event log and watching app after app being killed and restarted all the time. Especially after coming out of standby.

Also make sure you don't have rouge apps by using systempanel or something similar to monitor CPU usage.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

I already froze all the bloat... and for some reason when I reboot the phone my widgets won't load... even force closing the home screen wouldn't work.. I had to reboot again