Update "Unavailable"?

mgrizzy80

Reaction score
Anyone try checking for system updates lately? I just did and it said "Updates Unavailable, please check back later"

Possible upload of ICS to the update server?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

xcrider

Reaction score
Nope. I dont get that message. I get the same one ive always gotten.

OP
mgrizzy80

mgrizzy80

Reaction score
Funny, mine still says "check for updates not available, please check back later"

It used to say "phone is up to date"

EDIT: I know ICS isn't going to be released until November, just curious (and hoping for a pleasant surprise)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine said that too, but then I realized I had lost my signal. When I got it back it said the phone was up to date.

jssmith76

Reaction score
I just checked on my phone. Says not available, check back later. And I got plenty of service.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
Mine has always said "check for update not available"

Interestingly enough, it actually checks now and says "Your device is up to date!"

jayman350

Reaction score
we will not be getting the ICS update in November, it will be a fix for the problems that the Bionic is having w/ GB. This has been discussed in other threads. ICS is being released on the Nexus, it will eventually make it to the Bionic (hopefully), but I wouldn't hold my breath on getting it any time this year. Its not Moto or Google that is going to hold up the release, it is VZW.

You may or may not remember getting the update from 2.1 to 2.2 on the OG took FOREVER. There were at least 5 different ROMs that were built off of froyo before VZW even started pushing the OTA.

OP
mgrizzy80

mgrizzy80

Reaction score
I think we might be getting ICS this year for 2 reasons:

1. http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/andy-rubin-reveals-ice-cream-sandwich-update-roadmap/

- The Bionic's hardware actually exceeds the Nexus (except the processor) and was released a mere 2 months before a major software upgrade. The OG was out for a good year and a half before Froyo came out and was almost obsolete to the carriers by then.

2. Google, in order to combat fragmentation, made agreements with all of the carriers and manufacturers to streamline and accelerate OS updates. Remember they are in competition with iOS and fragmentation is a BIG problem in the Android community, whereas Apple has a more unified distribution of its OS. I don't remember which tech site I saw the article on where it discussed Google's strategy in more detail, but I'm sure it can be Googled.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I believe we will see it this year also. In the bug list, they list 2 updates for this year.

jayman350

Reaction score
ok, hopefully I am wrong in my assumptions cause I would love to see ICS sometime this year.

I didn't know that Google had made agreements w/ the carriers about fragmentation. I know that is a huge issue with devs having to create multiple versions of the same app to accommodate the different versions.

I would still bet that we see an ICS based rom before the OTA, the devs in this community can pull out some amazing things.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
One way it'll speed up is when it's leaked and posted here. That's how I go Froyo on my OG Droid. Maybe it sped it up by only a couple of days, but still...

OP
mgrizzy80

mgrizzy80

Reaction score
One way it'll speed up is when it's leaked and posted here. That's how I go Froyo on my OG Droid. Maybe it sped it up by only a couple of days, but still...

I'll drink to that!