AT&T Rant

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Not to try and say that you don't have a right to be upset, but it's not like they can just string a wire to your house from wherever it terminates.

You're talking contracts with the folks that own the poles, or contracts with folks that own the land between you and the end of the line. You're talking bucket trucks for poles, a crew to trench if they're going underground + conduit for the length of the run. You're talking testing to make sure it meets their standards. You're talking permits and probably inspections from the county/city/whatever/both. There's probably even more to it than that, but that's what comes to mind right away.

It sounds simple to run more cable when it's that close, but there's a lot involved that you don't think about.
And that .6 miles of cable can cost them $100k or more.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And that .6 miles of cable can cost them $100k or more.

Which may seem like chump change to a company this big, but you can bet that they're not going to invest that kind of money if they won't see a return on it. They're not spending that kind of money for one house.

I work with a lady who moved last Winter. She's in a similar situation. She can get DSL, but not Charter cable/internet. They terminate not far from her house. They actually told her that they'd be happy to extend the line if they were willing to chip in (I forget exactly how many) thousands of dollars. It wasn't 100k, by any means, but let's just say they're making do with DSL.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For many of us it is about coverage. If I lived in an area where Verizon provides the best overall coverage and the 2nd best can only provide me 2g then Verizon gets my money. Thankfully as of late I been in areas where ATT provides just as good (and in some places better) coverage as Verizon so I stuck with ATT.

To me it's nothing personal just business. I require a service to meet these needs. Those that can do it gets my money.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Here there's not a real price difference between V and ATT, and V covers everywhere, I would only change to another with a guaranteed coverage match with a big price difference, promises from a sales guy mean nothing, and Verizon now has no loss of unused data.

Sent from my New Note 7

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Here there's not a real price difference between V and ATT, and V covers everywhere, I would only change to another with a guaranteed coverage match with a big price difference, promises from a sales guy mean nothing, and Verizon now has no loss of unused data.

Sent from my New Note 7
Vzw has that new Safety mode thing too so you don't go over.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Is this post about Cell coverage or home internet coverage? The OP mentioned U Verse a few times, so I assumed this is about home internet?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Is this post about Cell coverage or home internet coverage? The OP mentioned U Verse a few times, so I assumed this is about home internet?

Yes.

Haha!

She's got bad cell reception at home. Uverse/wifi would make that less of an issue, but Uverse doesn't cover her house. It stops less than a mile away from here home.

So, they don't have coverage at her house, but can't provide her with a backup solution either.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes.

Haha!

She's got bad cell reception at home. Uverse/wifi would make that less of an issue, but Uverse doesn't cover her house. It stops less than a mile away from here home.

So, they don't have coverage at her house, but can't provide her with a backup solution either.
OK... got it. Thanks Jonny. I have U Verse internet and it's not all its cut up to be. I would not waste time asking for U Verse. Find a better internet provider.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I thought it was about both, but obviously she's not getting what she needs with either company. Sounds like she should have stuck with VZW and then found an alternate ISP that wasn't associated with a cell provider.
At this point all she can do is voice her concerns to the big dogs at ATT to get them to release her from her contract. But that's like trying to extract water from granite....not bloody likely gov'nah!
It sucks regardless! Good luck & keep us updated Bama.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk. When I was on T-mobile years ago and moved up here where they don't have service, they let me out of contract with no termination fee. Bit of a different circumstance though. It wasn't like I had service in town, but not at my house. They literally had no coverage. I could roam on AT&T, but data was broken while doing so. No bueno. Bye bye!

Still miss them though...

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Not to try and say that you don't have a right to be upset, but it's not like they can just string a wire to your house from wherever it terminates.

You're talking contracts with the folks that own the poles, or contracts with folks that own the land between you and the end of the line. You're talking bucket trucks for poles, a crew to trench if they're going underground + conduit for the length of the run. You're talking testing to make sure it meets their standards. You're talking permits and probably inspections from the county/city/whatever/both. There's probably even more to it than that, but that's what comes to mind right away.

It sounds simple to run more cable when it's that close, but there's a lot involved that you don't think about.
But see, they do not tell me that when I call.

They just reject my ticket. If they would have explained what you have above I would not be so upset.

But no, they just reject it and when I ask why they say "they cannot reveal that kind of information".

I am not expecting them to stop the orbit of the planet to solve my problem, but a small bit of recognition or compassion on their side would go a long way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Ok, before ya'll take this as a hormonal rant, it isn't.

I made a decision to switch to AT&T because I "thought" I would be saving us money.

I handed $1,200 cash, from our nest egg, to which isn't very big to begin with to a man who bold faced lied to me.

So much so, that there was an investigation because he did the very same thing to other customers.

I do not think my demands are unreasonable.

AT&T wanted their deposite and monthly payment for services, which they have.

I would like the services to function properly, which they are not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
Compassion, from a cellphone carrier? You're lucky if you get any answer at all.