Verizon vs. At&t

korp

Reaction score
You should go with the best service in your area, then pick a phone. According to consumer reports wireless test results in major U.S. cities, Verizon scored the highest in every single city ... At&t was last on most. Not sure what your issue is due to but I find it hard to believe its on VZW's end. I've personally never had that problem or anywhere near it on VZW ... and yes Nextel was horrible lol.

blue

Reaction score
Okay.... I have an update for anyone who cares.

I went to return the phones tonight, and they said that they were both defective. They exchanged one of them, and took the other one back. I got home and tried it, and now I have an average of three bars in and around the house with average to the same 3G speed.

I am going to hang on to it another week and see how it goes.

You guys, you were most likely right.

I was going to say it was because you were on the east side :biggrin:

It's odd that you got two at the same time that were defective. did you go to the V store in hassleton? I've had the best results there finding people who know something.

I went to the store over here on East Washington. They are OKAY there, slow, but they get the job done.

I thought there had to be something wrong with the phone. Glad that helped you out. I have noticed when I'm calling someone it crackels when its ringing, but the sound has always been great when the other line picks up. As for he speed test I checked mine out. When I first started I had my CPU set to stock. And every thing off. I got some very wierd numbers. It was all over the place. I looked at the server local and it was Kansas for some odd reason. So I turned the CPU up to 1000 and turned the GPS back on and set it to Cinci...I got these numbers...
0fceb357.jpg

The speeds when you were on 3G are nice, I can't get anywhere near that. Might be newer towers or something on the west side of town. What server were you using to test? When I use Chicago, I get the best results, Cincinnati is always slow, even on a computer with wired connection.

I was using the Cincinnati one. I haven't tried the Chicago one. It could be the towers. Are you rooted? I thought I had seen that. If so try bumping up the CPU and see if it changes anything

blue

Reaction score
I just tested both servers, and adjusting the CPU. And they don't make much of a difference....so maybe it is newer towers. Or I'm a lot closer to one or something.

bacalao

Reaction score
Do that phone quality thing. It might help. Probably somebody mentioned it just do a search.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I will say what I said back when the Droid first came out...

Which ever service works for you, stick with it. For me... AT&T does not work as nicely as it does for a friend of mine. I enjoy my droid at home cause it got better reception than what I got with AT&T with GSM and T-Mobile. For my area, Verizon has a strong presence, which was even more noted when we had 3 major wild fires that knocked out the city power out, only Verizon was able to provide service.

This is not to say Verizon is better. Simply in the case for my area, it is the more reasonable choice. I have a friend who has the iPhone. She loves it to death. When she is in the Bay Area, she can only use in one place at her place up in the Bay Area. But when she is down here in Santa Barbara, she can use it inside the building. Again, does this mean AT&T sucks? To be honest, service is going to vary from place to place. In time, phones like the Droid or iPhone will eventually be allowed by more than one carrier, especially now with the 4G networks being put into place, the whole 'Which phone is better' will change once again.

mineolasmitty

Reaction score
I was with ATT for bout 7 years until the droid came out.

Then i realized how accepting I had become of bad cellular service. I thought it was customary and normal to have to try to connect a call 3 or 4 times. And that ramdom text messages wouldn't get received or sent. And that coverage would drop on any road trip.

Verizon solved all of these probs for me. I even get 3g service way up on my 20 acres in middle of nowhere
Ditto. I had the exact same experience. Always able to use the phone now.