1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon vs. At&t

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Squeaky369, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Squeaky369

Squeaky369 New Member

Okay...

The title explains it all.

I have been with At&t for 5 years now. And I've listened to all the fighting and nonsense about how Verizon has better 3G coverage then At&t, and the sound quality is better, and the service overall is thousands and thousands of times better.

With the failure of the Motorola Backflip on At&t; I decided to give Verizon a try. So I signed up for service, got my wife and I the Droids. Rooted the phone and put the "Ultimate Droid" rom on the phone.

Three words explain my feelings about the Droid: "Best Phone Ever!"

However: Three words explain my feelings about Verizon's service: "Worst Service Ever!"

Let me explain. I had full 3G coverage in my house with At&t. With Verizon, I get nothing. Zero, zip. No service. And I live in Indianapolis, and not in some crappy suburb or anything. When I do have service (i.e.: Work, mall, driving around) it sounds like I am speaking through a tunnel, and its full of static (I haven't heard static on a cellphone since Nextel had analog signal.)

So; is it an issue with the phone, maybe I have a bad phone or something and it's just not picking up the service. Is it the ROM that's causing the issue? I don't think it's that though, cause before I rooted and flashed my wife's phone, she was having the same issues I was.

What is it? Verizon is suppose to be superior in every way possible, but after a week, I find myself using my LAN line in my house more and more because I can't stand the sound quality with Verizon.

Anyone have any insight here? If not, this is all going back, and I'll pay the extra couple hundred for a Nexus One...
  2. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

To me there is no comparison when it comes to service and I've used both At&t and Verizon. I'm not sure what area you are in but I never drop calls and get perfect reception no matter where I am especially in my house.
  3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I somehow do not tend to believe your story here.. I checked VZW's coverage map for Indianapolis. And their map shows great coverage in their broadband all areas of Indianapolis. And its surrounding areas.
    [​IMG]
    So either 1) you live underground or 2) you live in a steal box. I am sorry.. I just don't see it. But hey I don't live there.. so what do I know. But Verizon maps are usually quite accurate.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The only thing I've ever dropped is the phone and Verizon had nothing to do with that.:)
  5. cisco0910

cisco0910 New Member

i've never seen the signal on my phone "dropped signal" or "lost signal" on my Droid. I live in Virginia Beach
  6. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

do a *228 option 2 update (prl) and see it that fixes your issue
  7. Erron

Erron Developer Developer

I was with ATT for bout 7 years until the droid came out.

Then i realized how accepting I had become of bad cellular service. I thought it was customary and normal to have to try to connect a call 3 or 4 times. And that ramdom text messages wouldn't get received or sent. And that coverage would drop on any road trip.

Verizon solved all of these probs for me. I even get 3g service way up on my 20 acres in middle of nowhere
  8. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Maybe dial *228 and update your towers, that might work.
  9. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

depending on your area. I have to admit I have not had a dropped call........scratch that. While my phone was working I have not had a dropped call with att and my iphone. Now as I started noticing hardware issues then I was unable to use the phone when ever it kept switching from 3g to edge.
    As far as price Att is cheaper. Customer service I have to honestly say they are equal. They have both been helpful. ATT problem is they have no control over apple and the iphone and apple care customer service is what made me switch.
    I have been on verizon since November and I have only had 1 dropped call.
  10. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Well being a former Cingular/AT&T customer for almost 11 years I dropped them and went Verizon. I was patient and waited for AT&T's first Android and what did I get? The Backflip. That same day I went to wirefly.com and signed a 2 year with Verizon and got a Droid. I had the Droid rooted within 7 minutes of unboxing and have never been happier. The service is leaps and bounds better than AT&T and has far more coverage. I couldn't be happier with provider or phone.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Member

Don't know. A couple of my co-workers can't get a signal on their AT&T iPhones inside our work building(lots of metal). We work a 3-4 miles west of NEW YORK CITY!!! The same for T-Mobile and Sprint users. They're always asking me if I have a signal. Yes,yes,yes..:D
  12. Lars

Lars New Member

I used to work at a retail store that sold cell phones, and I would always give people the same advice before setting up service with a new provider when asked who has the best reception. Find a friend with the provider(s) you are considering and invite them to your house, or meet with them where you spend most of your time. Make a couple calls with their phone to make sure there is quality service. Regardless of what their map show, or the reputation of the company, all cell phone services have dead areas. For example, I had AT&T for a couple years, and after year one, I moved about a mile down the road. I originally had great service, but after I moved, the service dropped severely, but only within our house. I could go outside and it would be better.

At this point, the top cell phone providers are pretty even when it comes to call quality, but that does not prevent the occasional dead spot. Obviously it's too late for you to do the above, but it's very likely that you live in a small dead zone.
  13. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Sorry OP, but for every story you have about AT&T > Verizon, I have one that's the other way around. Like when my iPhone toting buddy couldnt get a signal in his own living room, and I had 4 bars.

No where is going to be perfect, and if you hate it that much, then go back. I like my service, plenty of others do too.
  14. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

About the sounding like your in a tunnel I've heard this works: Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Voice Privacy>Uncheck
  15. Brokn68

Brokn68 New Member

I have great coverage with Verizion where I am and never had a problem on the road either.
  16. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

The real answer to the OP's problem has been given twice. He probably needs to update his PRL's. *228 option 2. Try that and get back to us.
  17. A.Brooks

A.Brooks New Member

I have noticed a staticy sound on the Droid as well, I'm not sure if it's the phone or the patch that my phone gets routed through, but on my bluetooth it doesn't exist, so it may be something in the hardware of the phone itself. I'm curious to see if it continues this way. As far as having no service in your house that's just astonishing, I live in small town USA, outside of Chattanooga, TN. That's right, a suburb of a place most of you guys haven't even heard of, and my service is incredible, it's quite laughable actually, in comparison with AT&T who has 'full' reception here, my boss put his iPhone and loaded mac.com next to my Droid (on the stock browser mind you) and loaded the same, mac.com site and he got mad when the Droid loaded about 35% faster than his iPhone. Take that AT&T. I'm going to try the voice privacy thing myself, there's also a code you can dial in to improve the call quality in the hidden menu of the Droid, I'll find that number for you.

*#*#4636#*#* is one.
    ##7764726 is the other, and that's the one you want. 000000 is the passcode
    Go to "04 Vocode"
    Select EVRC-B then Apply
    The phone should automatically reset a few seconds afterward. If not, power cycle the phone
  18. Squeaky369

Squeaky369 New Member

Wow! Massive response. Thank you very much for the responses.

Here are my responses back.

I switched over to the EVRC-B and then the phone reset, I did the *228 option 2 update and reset the phone again. Same thing. No signal to one bar.

Yeah; I checked the maps when I noticed that I wasn't getting very good service, and I was very upset that it showed that good of service, but yet I'm not getting any.

So attached below is a screen shot of Google maps showing my Approx. location and my signal status. I am sitting on the couch in front of a window when I took this screen shot, and this is AFTER I've done all the updates that you guys have suggested. Regarding the signal quality.

[​IMG]
  19. diverbelow

diverbelow New Member

When I was with AT&T, the network sucked and their voice service was equal as bad for me when I was home in SW Washington area. I had full bars, had drop calls, call my wife's work, git network error (had to dial the number 4 to 8 times) to get through. Complain to AT&T and they say all green across the board.

In early Jan. 2010, we switched to Verizon, and we get 1 or 2 bars and we have not had a drop call or network error. Where I work in Hillsboro, I knew Verizon service did not do so swell even though their map showed it was 3G everywhere. So the building at work must not like the freq. Verizon uses, since the coverage is less the stellar until you get close to a window or outside of the building.

Will I go back to AT&T, heck NO. Was with them for 10 years and the last couple of years (since the iPhone came out, at least for me) went downhill big time.
  20. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

I live in a town called Auburn outside of Tacoma,WA. I have tons of dropped calls in my house but just a few miles down the street, full 3g, go figure.
Search tags for this page
at&t vs verizon full fiber op so cal
at&t vs. verizon dalls tx call quality 2013
at&t vs. verizon in texas
att vs verison in chattanooga
att vs verizon nyc
att vs verizon ratings
att vs verizon seattle
i live in texas verizon or att
my 3g connection not working
verizon vs at&t signal texas
verizon vs att