Verizon vs. At&t

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
May I add that IMHO the coverage maps do not mean a thing.
They don't mean what people think they mean. Despite Verizon's commercials, no one goes out to every possible point in the US to measure network coverage. The maps can't account for a number of factors that would potentially affect real world coverage.

As stated several times in this thread, every carrier has coverage holes even in major cities. I've been in plenty of locations within central Houston where certain carriers have coverage and others don't despite whatever coverage maps may have claimed.

blue

Reaction score
I find this post funny. I live in speedway. And I'm all over Indy for work. Actually I'm all over Indiana. I have lost 3 g just a few times and none have ever been in Indy. I'm on my phone as I type now. I have not read all the post, but take the phone in you may have a issue with it.

blue

Reaction score
I find this post funny. I live in speedway. And I'm all over Indy for work. Actually I'm all over Indiana. I have lost 3 g just a few times and none have ever been in Indy. I'm on my phone as I type now. I have not read all the post, but take the phone in you may have a issue with it.

2a3a270d.jpg

OP
Squeaky369

Squeaky369

Reaction score

2a3a270d.jpg

That's the thing that pisses me off actually... I work up in Carmel and it works just fine the minute that I leave the house, and go to work. And the building I work is has lead paint, steel walls, and all sorts of signal blocking crap, and I get full service. The call quality is still not very good, especially when talking to someone with another Droid. I have talked to a few other people that have them, and they have complained about the call quality and what not. I find it quite funny though that all the people in the world, and all of them on the forum, one of the people reading my complaints and *****ing lives 20 minutes away from me.

I also; and this is going to get a backlash of opposition, ran 3G speed tests this morning in Carmel, Indiana using my iPhone 3GS and the Droid. Both had full 3G signal and I was getting constant faster download speeds with the iPhone, and much higher upload speeds with Verizon. Which is strange, the upload speed was sometimes over a MB a second. That's better then my DSL connection.

As you can tell; both from the same time, and same server. I ran about 15 different tests, took screen shots of them all, and I can upload all of them if you guys would like.

But as you cal all tell; I have been trying so hard to find a way to keep these, but in the long run, the wife says they go back... She wants the Nexus One. At least though I am staying with Android, because the iPhone is just a fan-boy phone, and I hate it to death. Oh well; like a few people have said, it's all personal preference and at least I tried it.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I like how this has features to update tower information and fine tune the system in the hidden menus like that. The phones are intelligent enough to know where new towers are, or what towers it can use without that knowledge. Same goes for At&t, they don't have that feature.

Edit: I like how the screen-shots I took of my Droid shows my battery image as blue, but it's really green...

OP
Squeaky369

Squeaky369

Reaction score
Okay.... I have an update for anyone who cares.

I went to return the phones tonight, and they said that they were both defective. They exchanged one of them, and took the other one back. I got home and tried it, and now I have an average of three bars in and around the house with average to the same 3G speed.

I am going to hang on to it another week and see how it goes.

You guys, you were most likely right.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IMHO there is no Debate.....Verizon Rocks!

rap4974

Reaction score

I went to return the phones tonight, and they said that they were both defective. They exchanged one of them, and took the other one back. I got home and tried it, and now I have an average of three bars in and around the house with average to the same 3G speed.

I was going to say it was because you were on the east side :biggrin:

It's odd that you got two at the same time that were defective. did you go to the V store in hassleton? I've had the best results there finding people who know something.

blue

Reaction score
I thought there had to be something wrong with the phone. Glad that helped you out. I have noticed when I'm calling someone it crackels when its ringing, but the sound has always been great when the other line picks up. As for he speed test I checked mine out. When I first started I had my CPU set to stock. And every thing off. I got some very wierd numbers. It was all over the place. I looked at the server local and it was Kansas for some odd reason. So I turned the CPU up to 1000 and turned the GPS back on and set it to Cinci...I got these numbers...
0fceb357.jpg

onetime

Reaction score
Okay...

The title explains it all.

I have been with At&t for 5 years now. And I've listened to all the fighting and nonsense about how Verizon has better 3G coverage then At&t, and the sound quality is better, and the service overall is thousands and thousands of times better.

With the failure of the Motorola Backflip on At&t; I decided to give Verizon a try. So I signed up for service, got my wife and I the Droids. Rooted the phone and put the "Ultimate Droid" rom on the phone.

Three words explain my feelings about the Droid: "Best Phone Ever!"

However: Three words explain my feelings about Verizon's service: "Worst Service Ever!"

Let me explain. I had full 3G coverage in my house with At&t. With Verizon, I get nothing. Zero, zip. No service. And I live in Indianapolis, and not in some crappy suburb or anything. When I do have service (i.e.: Work, mall, driving around) it sounds like I am speaking through a tunnel, and its full of static (I haven't heard static on a cellphone since Nextel had analog signal.)

So; is it an issue with the phone, maybe I have a bad phone or something and it's just not picking up the service. Is it the ROM that's causing the issue? I don't think it's that though, cause before I rooted and flashed my wife's phone, she was having the same issues I was.

What is it? Verizon is suppose to be superior in every way possible, but after a week, I find myself using my LAN line in my house more and more because I can't stand the sound quality with Verizon.

Anyone have any insight here? If not, this is all going back, and I'll pay the extra couple hundred for a Nexus One...

I Had a simular problem I turned off my voice privacy in the setting good luck

Request from any developers please get baby scratch on droid its a iphone app

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I have two friends with ATT and they both have to sit in certain rooms of their house to make cell calls. I go into a soundproof metal room at my submarine pump contractor for low noise sound tests and I get coverage. Verizon/Droid rock!

rmcray08

Reaction score
The honest truth of the matter is that Verizon will have better service in some places, and AT&T will have better service in others. It sounds like, for whatever reason, where you are in Indianapolis just has poor Verizon reception. The fact that you have two droids both with the same issue tells me it's probably not the phone. If it were me, I would test the phone several times in the locations where you'll want to use it most (for me that would be home, school, and the commute between) and figure out if it's practical to have Verizon or if AT&T really did give better coverage. If the coverage is better with AT&T (and you're not willing to move for the sake of your cellular network), I'd go back to AT&T. Then, the next time your iPhone inevitably fails a year or two down the road, give the big V another chance.

Here in Richmond, VA I would never consider switching from Verizon.

OP
Squeaky369

Squeaky369

Reaction score

I was going to say it was because you were on the east side :biggrin:

It's odd that you got two at the same time that were defective. did you go to the V store in hassleton? I've had the best results there finding people who know something.

I went to the store over here on East Washington. They are OKAY there, slow, but they get the job done.

I thought there had to be something wrong with the phone. Glad that helped you out. I have noticed when I'm calling someone it crackels when its ringing, but the sound has always been great when the other line picks up. As for he speed test I checked mine out. When I first started I had my CPU set to stock. And every thing off. I got some very wierd numbers. It was all over the place. I looked at the server local and it was Kansas for some odd reason. So I turned the CPU up to 1000 and turned the GPS back on and set it to Cinci...I got these numbers...
0fceb357.jpg

The speeds when you were on 3G are nice, I can't get anywhere near that. Might be newer towers or something on the west side of town. What server were you using to test? When I use Chicago, I get the best results, Cincinnati is always slow, even on a computer with wired connection.

diverbelow

Reaction score
I have two friends with ATT and they both have to sit in certain rooms of their house to make cell calls. I go into a soundproof metal room at my submarine pump contractor for low noise sound tests and I get coverage. Verizon/Droid rock!

Couple of my friends that have AT&T with iPhone 3GS, they have to do the exact same thing. I keep telling then to turn off 3G and it will improve the reception but you will be on EDGE but you can move about their house. They have not listened yet.