ASURION SUX! NO LONGER CARRIES Moto DROID!

tgs3838

Reaction score
You have 30 days from the purchase date to add insurance.
Well that sucks. guess i need to check bills better next time. Maybe ill call them and see if i have it or not. Thought i killed it yesterday but its working fine. Better protect it like a baby

tbanner

Reaction score
The title of this thread is false and mis-leading. Asurion is still covering the droid. I know this for a fact and have heard it from a VERY reliable source. They currently have a shortage of droids, this is true. They will offer to send you a different model, this is also true. What you can do is tell them that you would prefer to have a droid. They will tell you to go to your local Verizon CORPORATE store and have them call asurion. Asurion will then authorize the agent to replace the phone with a NEW droid out of inventory and will proceed to give the agent a CC# for payment of FULL RETAIL price for the phone. I would suggest if this is not offered to you, that you bring it up to the asurion rep you are speaking with. I would say, in my opinion, that this is going above and beyond for the customer. They are out of stock on the droid, it happens. Perhaps all of you that know people that have made bogus claims,you should thank them for the shortage.

This is all true, exactly how it happened for me today except that I had already received the Eris. The clerk at Verizon said Asurion gave her a cc # and that they paid full retail price for my droid. This restores my confidence in Asurion and Verizon!

je300zx

Reaction score
Heh

So right after hearing asurion was replacing droids with incredibles, I lost my phone. Filed a claim, talked to a csr, was told only eris and devours were available, spoke to her supervisor. Was told the incredible would be an option.
Called back a few hours later after everything was complete and now I'm getting a Droid.

I meh'd

Moreno

Reaction score
I believe Asurion covers all the carriers. I currently pay $7.99 a month. It is required for all smartphones now that is offered from Verizon.

If I was to ever lose, damage, or anything. I would not let them give me an Eris. Reason why is because the Eris is being discontinued I believe. Once they run out of stock, their is no more production of it.

I would upgrade to the Droid 2 or Droid X. But like many others have stated. The original Droid is much much more customizable.

mrgoochio

Reaction score
called asurion for the 3rd or 4th time today, finally they said "they just got a new shipment of droids in" i initially got a refurb droid 1 week ago but it had a defective headphone jack.. they gave me the typical "no more droids" and offered the eris or devour.. eventually said i could have an incredible but i said i wanted a droid but they couldn't give me one. today they said they'll be shipping me a brand new droid on monday/tuesday. go figure! i'm happy now, but if i didn't call today, u think they would have called me and said they got new droids in and will give me a new one? no.

edit: a bit off topic, but can someone do me a favor and let me know what the original factory kernal version is? my phone is showing: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1 and i just want to make sure this is the original factory kernal before sending it back in

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score
I don't know about this, the only time I ever claimed they upgraded my palm with a nice bb just because the palm wasn't available anymore. I'm 99% sure that the rep didn't know what he was talking about, if your Droid fails I am certain that they will replace it with a Droid X or incredible when the stock becomes available. Until then they may give you an eris to hold you over.... I mean noone bought the Eris, so they probably have like 100k of them. Assurion is respected and well rated. I for one give them my seal of approval. I mean I feel for you if they really won't replace it, but I really think that rep was mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:

UNC

Reaction score
called asurion for the 3rd or 4th time today, finally they said "they just got a new shipment of droids in" i initially got a refurb droid 1 week ago but it had a defective headphone jack.. they gave me the typical "no more droids" and offered the eris or devour.. eventually said i could have an incredible but i said i wanted a droid but they couldn't give me one. today they said they'll be shipping me a brand new droid on monday/tuesday. go figure! i'm happy now, but if i didn't call today, u think they would have called me and said they got new droids in and will give me a new one? no.

edit: a bit off topic, but can someone do me a favor and let me know what the original factory kernal version is? my phone is showing: 2.6.29-omap1-g7fa8788 android-build@apa26 #1 and i just want to make sure this is the original factory kernal before sending it back in

Just use rsdlite and flash the verizon 2.01 sbf. You'll be good to go then.

OP
M

mac5217

Reaction score
The title of this thread is false and mis-leading. Asurion is still covering the droid. I know this for a fact and have heard it from a VERY reliable source. They currently have a shortage of droids, this is true. They will offer to send you a different model, this is also true. What you can do is tell them that you would prefer to have a droid. They will tell you to go to your local Verizon CORPORATE store and have them call asurion. Asurion will then authorize the agent to replace the phone with a NEW droid out of inventory and will proceed to give the agent a CC# for payment of FULL RETAIL price for the phone. I would suggest if this is not offered to you, that you bring it up to the asurion rep you are speaking with. I would say, in my opinion, that this is going above and beyond for the customer. They are out of stock on the droid, it happens. Perhaps all of you that know people that have made bogus claims,you should thank them for the shortage.

This is TOTALLY untrue. The rep at Assurion NEVER offered that as an option. And looking at the other post, no many if anyone was offered this option aside from you. He pretty much said that the Desire/Eris was my ONLY option. I was even told that they're would be no more droids Period...nothing even back ordered. The fact that we are getting so many different stories from different reps, shows the incompetance of the folks at Asurion. Insurance is a simple concept, and really shouldnt be difficult to have your property replace. I went to VZW on my own, because I was getting nowhere with the Rep or Supervisor. They even wanted to charge me for a NEW CLAIM! Instead of arguing with me, if he did offer this as an option, there would never had posted about a NEGATIVE xp withthe company. The Asurion rep and supervisor were possible THE WORST customer service experience I've had. On the otherhand, The VZW rep went above and beyond. But Thats why its always good to post neg and positive expereince. Now we know, that we can fo into the VZW and get what we paid for.

mrgoochio

Reaction score
When did you call mac5217? call them back, they originally told me that too until but it seems as if they've updated since then

OP
M

mac5217

Reaction score
When did you call mac5217? call them back, they originally told me that too until but it seems as if they've updated since then

I actually went to the VZW store that day, and did receive a new droid from the store. But I did that on my own, not becuase Asurion offered it as an option. Another thing I find funny with Asurion is why some pay 89.99 for a deductible and others payed $50? I had a friend that had his droid replaced last month for $50, but I had to pay 89.99?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I actually went to the VZW store that day, and did receive a new droid from the store. But I did that on my own, not becuase Asurion offered it as an option. Another thing I find funny with Asurion is why some pay 89.99 for a deductible and others payed $50? I had a friend that had his droid replaced last month for $50, but I had to pay 89.99?

they raised all smart phones to 89.99 and lowered all regular phones... how about this they raised my droids to 89.99 on the site and when i checked my non smart phone it was still $50... they never lowered it..... i contacted them about it and they changed it...... what a scam that they remember to RAISE the price of a certain phone but neglect to LOWER the price of another.... if my non smart phone would've broke first i would've lost out and never realized they changed everything around

I had a very long and strenuous conversation with a verizon rep over the 89.99 jump from 50. its bad enough we already pay 6 a month... so in your 2 years with the phone if you lose or break 1 phone you'll pay over $230 in insurance for a phone you originally paid under $200 to begin with..... yes i understand the "retail" price of these phones are over $500 and that was the reps only response.. at 50 it was almost reasonable.... at 90 its absurd

i'm having problems with my droids 3.5mm also but it is my original droid not a refurb one.... definitely not worth putting in a claim over

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I don't think they should be able to discontinue a phone, until 2 years after its launch.

I think I will stick with buying new phones from Best Buy because they give us instant rebate and I can purchase there warranty with confidence knowing that if they no longer stock my phone, they will give me something that is better.

I'm definitely concerned about what I've been reading regarding Asurion insurance, but you can't beat the fact that they'll replace a lost/stolen phone. I had a co-worker who reported his phone as lost and he has a new one in the mail as I type, of course it cost him the usual deduction.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
No, sweeeeet, do like everyone else and take it to a Verizon store. The results seems to be more promising. Wonder why Verizon doesn't offer there own warranty service like Asurion. Heck if they are swapping phones left and right based on a customers word, then they should be getting the money that we are giving to Asurion.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
When my wife owned the LG En-V 1 or 2, we didn't buy the Asurion insurance and we took it back well after the standard 1 year warranty to a Verizon store to get a new one because the numbers keys had separated from the phone.

I'll have to give Verizon props because despite the over priced plans, they do stand behind the products they carry.