Are you still happy with your Thunderbolt?

npro1464

Reaction score
I broke down and got the Galaxy S3 and couldn't be happier. I went out to Costco on Black Friday, got a 16 GB in white for $50 (after a rebate) and was able to use my brothers upgrade (whos on a flip phone plan) to keep my unlimited data. After contemplating the Nexus 4, the cons outweighed the pros and the Galaxy S3 seemed like a no brainer- it has a huge dev base, is a widely popular phone and should be supported for a while. The biggest flaw with the Nexus is the stupid lack of storage, which is mind-numbingly low- why does Google want to suddenly cripple its users ability to store photos, music and stuff on their phones is beyond me.

Looking back, I wish I did this earlier, but I have no complaints on the discount I got on BF. If your looking right now, I think the GS3 is the way to go. Not a big HTC fan after my Thunderbolt experience and I need an unlocked bootloader since I want to easily flash ROMs on my phone (making the Razr Maxx HD out). And the Note II is too huge. My contract will be done in May, and if VZ ever takes away my unlimited data, I'll consider jumping ship then. For now, I'll enjoy my unlimited data, my excess storage capacity, and sweet new phone.

pcar1947

Reaction score
I too broke down n bought a S3 off of ebay. I have unlimited data n didn't want to loose it. S3 is a great phone n a significant upgrade over tbolt (bigger screen, faster) What I do miss is my "Rooted tbolt" . I m trying to hold off rooting my s3 until I get the jelly bean upgrade but I don't know if it is worth it!

wardo

Reaction score
Do the Samsung phones have flash and adobe like the tbolt?

tap a talka thingy

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
Do the Samsung phones have flash and adobe like the tbolt?

tap a talka thingy
Flash isn't officially supported on anything above Gingerbread, so any phone made this year (for the most part) which is 4.0+ won't let you install Flash from the play store, but some people have had luck sideloading it.

Adobe reader is available.

wardo

Reaction score
Flash isn't officially supported on anything above Gingerbread, so any phone made this year (for the most part) which is 4.0+ won't let you install Flash from the play store, but some people have had luck sideloading it.

Adobe reader is available.

I am not one to be knowledge about this stuff , but would I ever notice flash not being supported?

tap a talka thingy

kparks

Reaction score
wardo said:
I am not one to be knowledge about this stuff , but would I ever notice flash not being supported?

tap a talka thingy

YES and its a pain in the butt

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score

tap a talka thingy
Depends, most of my web browsing is done on websites that don't use Flash.

npro1464

Reaction score
I too broke down n bought a S3 off of ebay. I have unlimited data n didn't want to loose it. S3 is a great phone n a significant upgrade over tbolt (bigger screen, faster) What I do miss is my "Rooted tbolt" . I m trying to hold off rooting my s3 until I get the jelly bean upgrade but I don't know if it is worth it!

Don't know why you'd hold off. Rooting literally takes less than a minute. No ADB bs or Terminal at all, just a simple one click program. Then download EZ Unlock, and there goes the locked bootloader problem. Flash CWR thru ROM Manager (or TWRP, your choice) and flash away. You can have a stable Jelly Bean build running on your phone in no time- I downloaded CleanROM 5.0 and love it- its a stable bloatless Touchwiz rom and gives great battery life.

I'm just afraid of VZ or Sammy pushing thru an update that'll close all the loopholes the devs were able to exploit, which is why I rooted and flashed right away. Also, make sure you backup your IMEI before you start flashing, it will save you from a potential headache down the road! This is different than making a nandroid backup in recovery (you should do that too, though). Its very easy, follow the steps here:

[HOWTO]Comprehensive IMEI/EFS Backup - xda-developers

I used Terminal Emulator method once I was rooted.

pcar1947

Reaction score
I couldn't wait any longer rooted last night. You are right , all of 10 minutes. I will attempt to back up my imei tonight.

Thanks for the infp

Kittysback

Reaction score
So you can use someone elses upgrade and keep unlimited data? Uf thats the case I will wait til my husband is due and take his.

BigNunz6

Reaction score
Well I gave in to the temptation and ordered a brand new S3 from ebay.
Thank you T Bolt you've been good .

pcar1947

Reaction score
Well I gave in to the temptation and ordered a brand new S3 from ebay.
Thank you T Bolt you've been good .

I too gave in n bought an s3 . I have had it 5 daysn it is already rooted n running a jelly bean leak!
i agree thunderbolt was good to me but with us still waiting for ics it was time to move on!