How did you get your Thunderbolt?

OP
A

agdaniels

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll go in and see what they say with my myverizon app, it also says im on my way to an upgrade and to "use my $30 upgrade bonus to broaden my options"

sir2545

Reaction score
There are several people in my area, Glendale, AZ, that are selling the TB for $300-$375. I am going to meet a guy at the VZW store today and if the ESN# checks out then I will be the owner of a TB. I currently have the DX, just always like to try out the latest stuff and my next upgrade is not until July and I am hoping that the Bionic/Targa/D3 will be out by then.

Don't sell the X too fast. I got the TB on an upgrade and returned it for an X. If your used to Moto hardware, you might be disappointed with the TB.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

yellar

Reaction score
I had a Droid Inc that met a horrid end so insurance sent me a DroidX to replace it, went on craigslist and traded it even for a Thunderbolt. I didn't like the locked bootloader on the X and I hate moto blur so all I was looking for was something other than a Moto and got lucky.

RVC

Reaction score
Bought mine off Craigslist for $400. Sold my X for $300 and I still have an upgrade.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

bergzy

Reaction score
i did an early upgrade from my droid first generation to the iphone 4.

i hated the iphone 4 as it is more an app player than a phone intended for business...so i exchanged it within the two week grace period to get the thunderbolt.

have not regretted the thunderbolt for one second.

people who love the iphone...LOVES the iphone.

people who love droids...LOVES droids.

it really is just a preference more than anything.

MadScientist

Reaction score
I added a line to my family plan and got the thunderbolt with that. Then I ported my number to the TH and put a dumbphone on the other line. Cheaper than buying outright from Verizon in the long run.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

OP
A

agdaniels

Reaction score
Went to a couple stores in the area and each of them said corporate was the only one able to upgrade early, a call to corporate returned the same results, there was nothing they could do. Mentioned other customers in my situation getting upgraded early and the option showing available in the myvzw app but the answer was the same.

I've always been the first to recommend verizon customer service, they are always professional and helpful, but lately it seems like the management is losing sight of what got them where they are.. the customer. I no longer feel like they value my business, especially when friends on other carriers tell stories about their providers working their ass off to keep them around and happy.

Again, this is just me ranting, I can leave verizon if I'm not satisfied, and they don't have to go out of their way to help me... but I used to hold them in very high regard as a consumer first business, frankly thats gone for me now.

I'll be checking around craigslist to see if I can get a deal there, any recommendations on verifying the esn is clean, its not a refurb, etc?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Went to a couple stores in the area and each of them said corporate was the only one able to upgrade early, a call to corporate returned the same results, there was nothing they could do. Mentioned other customers in my situation getting upgraded early and the option showing available in the myvzw app but the answer was the same.

I've always been the first to recommend verizon customer service, they are always professional and helpful, but lately it seems like the management is losing sight of what got them where they are.. the customer. I no longer feel like they value my business, especially when friends on other carriers tell stories about their providers working their ass off to keep them around and happy.

Again, this is just me ranting, I can leave verizon if I'm not satisfied, and they don't have to go out of their way to help me... but I used to hold them in very high regard as a consumer first business, frankly thats gone for me now.

I'll be checking around craigslist to see if I can get a deal there, any recommendations on verifying the esn is clean, its not a refurb, etc?
VZW is a business, a Corporation, a for-profit company. If you agree to a subsidized pricing for 2 years in exchange for a new phone, if you upgrade whenever the next cool phone comes out, how are they going to make a profit on agdaniels? They won't. Does it make good business sense, no. Unfortunately that's the bottom line.

OP
A

agdaniels

Reaction score

VZW is a business, a Corporation, a for-profit company. If you agree to a subsidized pricing for 2 years in exchange for a new phone, if you upgrade whenever the next cool phone comes out, how are they going to make a profit on agdaniels? They won't. Does it make good business sense, no. Unfortunately that's the bottom line.

I think you're missing the point, I'm not saying I expect or warrant an upgrade every time a new phone comes out, but for them define policies as black and white without any consideration for the consumer isn't the markings of a good business in my opinion. They have made and will continue to make money off of me and consumers like me, what sets apart those consumer centric carriers is how they are willing to give back to those loyal customers. At one point verizon would bend the "rules" to make customers happy, just like many other carriers currently do, apparently those days are gone. I'm asking them to allow me to give them more money and commit to another two years of their service, which is in fact their desired end state with subsidized pricing.

Good business sense isn't defining a bottom line, but its taking care of those people that pay their hard earned money for your business, and recommend that business to others when they are satisfied.

kparks

Reaction score

I think you're missing the point, I'm not saying I expect or warrant an upgrade every time a new phone comes out, but for them define policies as black and white without any consideration for the consumer isn't the markings of a good business in my opinion. They have made and will continue to make money off of me and consumers like me, what sets apart those consumer centric carriers is how they are willing to give back to those loyal customers. At one point verizon would bend the "rules" to make customers happy, just like many other carriers currently do, apparently those days are gone. I'm asking them to allow me to give them more money and commit to another two years of their service, which is in fact their desired end state with subsidized pricing.

Good business sense isn't defining a bottom line, but its taking care of those people that pay their hard earned money for your business, and recommend that business to others when they are satisfied.
how early are u trying to upgrade??

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I've been diligently paying my electric bill for the past 32 years and they haven't given me any breaks or credits when I ask for them. I've been using the Sunoco gas station for the past two years here and I'm a loyal customer. They haven't even offered to wipe my windshield for me.

The bottom line is good business sense is based on each account, not the overall picture. And, I see you are within 2 months of upgrade. As a former VZW employee I can tell you that if you call VZW CS (not a store), when you're about a month away from upgrade there's a chance they will let you, especially if your current equipment is on their last legs.

OP
A

agdaniels

Reaction score

I've been diligently paying my electric bill for the past 32 years and they haven't given me any breaks or credits when I ask for them. I've been using the Sunoco gas station for the past two years here and I'm a loyal customer. They haven't even offered to wipe my windshield for me.

The bottom line is good business sense is based on each account, not the overall picture. And, I see you are within 2 months of upgrade. As a former VZW employee I can tell you that if you call VZW CS (not a store), when you're about a month away from upgrade there's a chance they will let you, especially if your current equipment is on their last legs.

With your example, if the competing gas station offered clean windows and that same quality Sunoco gas then you'd be able to quickly identify which cared more about the people that came through. I absolutely see where you're coming from though, and I'm not looking for handouts, just disheartened with the direction verizon has gone.

For what its worth, I've spoken to vzw cs multiple times, I was polite with them and they were very professional back, but said there was just no way they could perform the upgrade