Anyone working on rooting Droid Incredible 2?

OP
meltdown

meltdown

Reaction score
Ok..here we go

First goto HTC.com and pick the incredible S, goto downloads and download the HTC sync software and install it. (Im not sure if this step was needed or not)

Second, On your phone, hit Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check "USB Debugging" then hit the home button

Third, Plug your USB cable into your computer and when the phone asks what you want to do, pick "HTC Sync" (If it doesnt ask you, goto settings > Connect to PC > check "Always ask..", unplug and replug)

Finally run cmd.exe from your PC, navigate to whereever adb.exe is located (C:\adb, ect.) check for your device by typing in:

adb devices

It should show your phone. Then you are ready to follow the temproot steps on XDA's site.

Hope that helps

dboss007

Reaction score
Ok..here we go

First goto HTC.com and pick the incredible S, goto downloads and download the HTC sync software and install it. (Im not sure if this step was needed or not)

Second, On your phone, hit Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check "USB Debugging" then hit the home button

Third, Plug your USB cable into your computer and when the phone asks what you want to do, pick "HTC Sync" (If it doesnt ask you, goto settings > Connect to PC > check "Always ask..", unplug and replug)

Finally run cmd.exe from your PC, navigate to whereever adb.exe is located (C:\adb, ect.) check for your device by typing in:

adb devices

It should show your phone. Then you are ready to follow the temproot steps on XDA's site.

Hope that helps

I don't think the HTC Sync download would be necessary, however as a part of that download are the HTC drivers which allow your computer to recognize your phone, so from that standpoint it is necessary. I hope that makes sense! I'm not sure if you can uninstall JUST the HTC Sync program afterwards without uninstalling the drivers as well...

droidess

Reaction score
The phone is marvellous out of the box. Why the rush to root it?

The bloatware is extremely annoying.

Can someone do a simple 1,2,3 step process for getting rid of it?
Keep in mind that I'm still a "Junior Droid" and not in any way a digital native, hardly even an immigrant, more like a stowaway. Not even sure whether "jail break" "root" and "unlock" all mean the same thing or not.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tats_06

Reaction score
The phone is marvellous out of the box. Why the rush to root it?

The bloatware is extremely annoying.

Can someone do a simple 1,2,3 step process for getting rid of it?
Keep in mind that I'm still a "Junior Droid" and not in any way a digital native, hardly even an immigrant, more like a stowaway. Not even sure whether "jail break" "root" and "unlock" all mean the same thing or not.

Thanks!

I am trying to decide between Inc 2 and thunderbolt... Leaning towards Inc 2 cause it's smaller and better battery life. I think till root is available, I would probably use like Launcher Pro and hide the bloat app. Thats a very temp solution. I hope more devs join the boat or Inc 2 would e really similar to original and easy ports would be a go. Positive thinkin here....

OP
meltdown

meltdown

Reaction score
Bloat?? I know its still there, but at least I don't have to look at it anymore... ?;^}

dboss007

Reaction score
FYI...The HTC Sync program can be uninstalled after the fact without removing the HTC Drivers. Very nice! Sync was kind of annoying to me! :)

Reaction score
Which apps are safe to freeze?...

I would check the safe apps from the Thunderbolt, many are the same as the bloat on the DInc2...

Also, when I rooted my TBolt (manual way, not the GUI-click version), I connected my phone to my PC and put it in "Charge Only" mode, not HTC Sync mode... I was under the impression that Charge Only doesn't interfere as much with the root process. Can anyone confirm that putting the phone into Charge Only mode still shows up when you use ADB? (I just purchased my wife a DInc2 and at least want to freeze the bloat apps until a full root is available.)

dboss007

Reaction score
Which apps are safe to freeze?...

I would check the safe apps from the Thunderbolt, many are the same as the bloat on the DInc2...

Also, when I rooted my TBolt (manual way, not the GUI-click version), I connected my phone to my PC and put it in "Charge Only" mode, not HTC Sync mode... I was under the impression that Charge Only doesn't interfere as much with the root process. Can anyone confirm that putting the phone into Charge Only mode still shows up when you use ADB? (I just purchased my wife a DInc2 and at least want to freeze the bloat apps until a full root is available.)

Yep! No problems here with Charge Only and ADB. Once you have the HTC Drivers installed, the PC always recognizes the phone.

ManuKind

Reaction score
Hey everyone - I just registered.

Previously I had an Incredible on the Unrevoked3 root. Does anyone know how to get in touch with them to see if they're going to do anything with the Incredible 2? I can't seem to find any email addresses.

jellybean420

Reaction score
Me and jcase are working on rooting it. I'm just testing out his theories. So far nothing concrete.

Sent from my ADR6350

jlee6119

Reaction score
no necessary need for "HTC Sync". temp root actually works even in a Charge Only mode, as far as debug mode is enabled (at least for me).

the only thing is, i can't get 3g mobile hotspot working.

Reaction score
I have a question or 3: My wife has a DInc, rooted and a screen-off SetCPU profile. I also removed bloatware from it, but did not load a ROM on it. I just purchased a DInc2 as a surprise for her. If I were to give her the DInc2, could I do the following using just the Temp Root?

-Backup current phone using Titanium Backup
-Temp Root the DInc2
-Restore Titanium Backup onto Temp Rooted DInc2
-Remove VZW/bloatware from DInc2
-Reboot DInc2 and not run Temp Root.

I wouldn't be able to run full backups using Titanium nor could I run SetCPU, but would the Bloat removal cause issues if I am no longer rooted?

anguish

Reaction score
I have a question or 3: My wife has a DInc, rooted and a screen-off SetCPU profile. I also removed bloatware from it, but did not load a ROM on it. I just purchased a DInc2 as a surprise for her. If I were to give her the DInc2, could I do the following using just the Temp Root?

-Backup current phone using Titanium Backup
-Temp Root the DInc2
-Restore Titanium Backup onto Temp Rooted DInc2
-Remove VZW/bloatware from DInc2
-Reboot DInc2 and not run Temp Root.

I wouldn't be able to run full backups using Titanium nor could I run SetCPU, but would the Bloat removal cause issues if I am no longer rooted?

That's what I do. The only thing I had issues with though, and I'm not sure it was from the restore process, was with my PIN that I use to unlock the phone. I had been doing some testing yesterday, completely rebuilt the phone, did a full restore, and no matter how many times I typed in my PIN (correctly too), it rejected it. Ultimately ended up wiping the device because of it.

That said, I've restored multiple apps, removed bloatware, etc. I generally don't run in temp root, and I'm quite content functioning this way so far.

anguish

Reaction score
no necessary need for "HTC Sync". temp root actually works even in a Charge Only mode, as far as debug mode is enabled (at least for me).

the only thing is, i can't get 3g mobile hotspot working.
If I'm not mistaken, you only need HTC Sync for the drivers. As I understand it, you can remove HTC Sync right afterwards, but you'll still have the drivers.