Rooting for Bloatware

Reaction score
As of right now I am very happy with my Thunderbolt but as one of many I would love to get rid of all this bloatware, for some reason it just bugs the piss outta me. For those of you who have done this is it really worth it? Does getting rid of the bloatware really enhance the phone? I did everything imaginable to my D1 but for some reason Im alittle sketchy on doing this to my Thunderbolt, Im not familiar with adb and I really like the way my TB is working as it. Input is appreciated

mjbalys

Reaction score
There are one click rooting tools. Google should point to the xda forums and info is there I believe

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

rickt1152

Reaction score
In the same boat. I flashed every rom imaginable on my of Droid. This thing runs so smooth I don't want to screw that up. I would like to get rid of bloatware on principal and pick up wireless tether and Titanium Backup. Otherwise, I'm good.

As of right now I am very happy with my Thunderbolt but as one of many I would love to get rid of all this bloatware, for some reason it just bugs the piss outta me. For those of you who have done this is it really worth it? Does getting rid of the bloatware really enhance the phone? I did everything imaginable to my D1 but for some reason Im alittle sketchy on doing this to my Thunderbolt, Im not familiar with adb and I really like the way my TB is working as it. Input is appreciated

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

cnmsales

Reaction score
There are NOT any one click rooting options yet. However if you keep an eye out on the XDA forum, the three step rooting option that was released two days ago is getting ready to be updated with a bunch of fixes which should make rooting with it pretty pain free.

Rooting is def worth it.

wtfmate913

Reaction score
i've been looking at the "easyroot" methods posted on droid-life.com and it almost seems more difficult to figure out than the long way posted also on droid-life.com.

If you wanna root:

get adb working on your computer: download android sdk (google it, and get the .zip version or .rar whichever it is) then extract folder to C:\ drive and rename it something simpler like AndroidSDK. Make sure you've got Java JDK installed on your computer, look it up on google.

check out the root and unlock boatloader article on droid-life.com for the instructions

make sure you make a backup as soon as you gain root and you're all good to go, just in case.

once you're done install "Root Explorer" from market the navigate to /system/app/ , hit mount-rw, and long press any bloatware apps you see, hit delete, then hit mount-ro at the top right to mount it as read-only again, and you're good to go.

my thunderbolt seems quite a bit snappier and battery has lasted longer since removing the bloatware (got rid of htc twitter app, vcast, vznavigator, cityid, mobilehotspotapp, etc.)

if anyone needs help rooting, i won't be responsible, but you can pm me and I can point you to the resources I used and try to explain anything for you.

bobb35

Reaction score
In the same boat. I flashed every rom imaginable on my of Droid. This thing runs so smooth I don't want to screw that up. I would like to get rid of bloatware on principal and pick up wireless tether and Titanium Backup. Otherwise, I'm good.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I want. Just a stock ROM with root access and no bloatware. The new version of Sense would be nice also. Anything like that out there?

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yes, there are several available at the XDA forum. Lightning by Chingy is running GREAT on my phone.