New to Rooting - What Should I Go With?

FormerNavy

Reaction score
I've had my Thunderbolt for about a month now. I really like the stock interface, but want to root the phone primarily so I can get rid of the bloatware and have free mobile hotspot. I would be fine with a stock ROM that simply was rooted so I could remove the bloatware and have the hotspot.

Are there any one-click roots that you would recommend? Any others? I take it I need to backup any apps I paid for already? Are the ROMs all based on 2.2 or are there any 2.3 ones out there?

Thanks!

gtr1206

Reaction score
Z4 is what I used works good and no you don't need to back up your paid apps you say you want to keep it stock but once you root your going to want to do more :) good luck

Sent from my DROIDX

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Do NOT use a one click root. One clicks lead to bricks. They are bad news. I would recommend using the adb manual root. It's copy and pasting. Pretty simple. Just find the ADB for dummies guide then the manual root guide at XDA.

All functional ROMs for the time being are based on 2.2. We will probably get a gingerbread leak within 2 months. If not 1.

You can't really "backup" your data before you root. Rooting wipes EVERYTHING on your phone. Once you are rooted, you can get Titanium Backup and you will be able to make a backup of all your apps and system data.

Sent from my BAMFed out Thunderbolt

OP
F

FormerNavy

Reaction score
Z4 is what I used works good and no you don't need to back up your paid apps you say you want to keep it stock but once you root your going to want to do more :) good luck

Sent from my DROIDX

So does the marketplace just know what apps I bought, so I can just go back and download them again without re-buying?

OP
F

FormerNavy

Reaction score
Do NOT use a one click root. One clicks lead to bricks. They are bad news. I would recommend using the adb manual root. It's copy and pasting. Pretty simple. Just find the ADB for dummies guide then the manual root guide at XDA.

All functional ROMs for the time being are based on 2.2. We will probably get a gingerbread leak within 2 months. If not 1.

You can't really "backup" your data before you root. Rooting wipes EVERYTHING on your phone. Once you are rooted, you can get Titanium Backup and you will be able to make a backup of all your apps and system data.

Ok good to know - thanks! But what's a good ROM that's still going to give me the same basic interface as the stock ROM, just with root?

Its TwiX

Reaction score

Ok good to know - thanks! But what's a good ROM that's still going to give me the same basic interface as the stock ROM, just with root?

The stock ROM. Haha.

drew

Reaction score

There aren't any one click rooting solutions for the Thunderbolt right now. There are many tutorials on how to root the TBolt. It seems pretty easy, but it does wipe your phone (the main reason I've been holding out on doing it)

NOTE: Z4ROOT WILL NOT WORK ON THE THUNDERBOLT. The other poster had a Droid X, which I believe does work, but it DOES NOT WORK ON OUR PHONE.

I disagree with "one clicks lead to bricks". You can brick your phone using ANY rooting method. Every rooting method I've seen has a CYA disclaimer that you can damage your phone and they are not held liable. Many people have successfully rooted their phones using apps like Z4Root, Unrevoked, etc. The dev community wouldn't create one clicks if there wasn't value or the software didn't work. There is obvious community bias against people using these solutions without knowing what they are getting themselves into, or what rooting their phone actually is.

The best advice is to learn as much as you can about rooting, learn about ADB, and make your decision from there. Just be aware that rooting the TBOLT will WIPE YOUR PHONE.

Good luck.

ss13

Reaction score

I dunno man, I did the AutoRoot posted by nmSystems on these forums

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/thunderbolt-hacks/141936-auto-root-unroot-htc-thunderbolt.html

and it worked awesome. I don't think its fair to say that they are bad news if you haven't even tried it. Did you brick your phone using one?

clawlan

Reaction score
i am also new to android and rooting so i am going to hop on this thread. I have head a lot about das bamf. I am going to continue my research...

Its TwiX

Reaction score

There aren't any one click rooting solutions for the Thunderbolt right now. There are many tutorials on how to root the TBolt. It seems pretty easy, but it does wipe your phone (the main reason I've been holding out on doing it)

NOTE: Z4ROOT WILL NOT WORK ON THE THUNDERBOLT. The other poster had a Droid X, which I believe does work, but it DOES NOT WORK ON OUR PHONE.

I disagree with "one clicks lead to bricks". You can brick your phone using ANY rooting method. Every rooting method I've seen has a CYA disclaimer that you can damage your phone and they are not held liable. Many people have successfully rooted their phones using apps like Z4Root, Unrevoked, etc. The dev community wouldn't create one clicks if there wasn't value or the software didn't work. There is obvious community bias against people using these solutions without knowing what they are getting themselves into, or what rooting their phone actually is.

The best advice is to learn as much as you can about rooting, learn about ADB, and make your decision from there. Just be aware that rooting the TBOLT will WIPE YOUR PHONE.

Good luck.

The only Thunderbolt hard bricked so far was using the one click root. You have to be an idiot to brick your phone using adb root. And easy roots are buggy. Sometimes you have to do a step more than once. That oddly enough... Doesn't happen with adb root.