Advice? Want to remove bloatware and use mobile hotspot. (Mac OSX)

ujohnc00

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm on a Mac and have a stock Thunderbolt. It looks like Verizon's free use of Mobile Hotspot is coming to an end, and I don't want this to happen.

So... I guess it's time to root. In addition to the free mobile hotspot, I'd love to get rid of some stock bloatware.

Can I achieve what I want with just rooting my phone, or do I need to flash the ROM? Rooting seems significantly easier and less risky.

As you can tell, I'm a n00b and would appreciate specific instructions on how to achieve what I want.

Also, is there any way to make a complete backup of my phone as is, so that I could restore the backup in a worst case scenario? If not, is there any way to transfer existing apps/settings/media from my current phone to a newly-rooted phone?

Sorry for the mixed bag of questions; just trying to learn this stuff.
Thanks.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
Step 1) READ READ READ about rooting
Step 2) ROOT
Step 3) download Rom Manager
Step 4) Create backup in Clockwork Recovery
Step 5) Download Titanium backup and backup apps (this app can freeze bloatware as well if you want to stay stock but freeze bloat. There's a guide on the interewbs about which apps are good to freeze)
Step 6) READ READ READ about roms
Step 7) Install Rom
Step 8) Enjoy your phone

OP
U

ujohnc00

Reaction score
Hi there and thanks for the reply.

I figured those are the steps approximately required, but I haven't not come across a recent post on rooting a Thunderbolt using OSX. Also, what should I "READ READ READ" about ROMs; I know what they are, but not sure what else I need to know.

Thanks again.

DrewB

Reaction score
There is an easy root for osx I think I found it on android central. Worked perfectly for me

sent from bamfed out bolt